This place needs a watch thread

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
nice Seadweller... it's nice to know when your head implodes under the pressure of the deepest depths of an ocean... You will know exactly how deep you were when you popped...

nice score.... hope it's a keeper!

i always knew that rolies were huge...

that was until i saw a seadweller ... made the common oyster almost look like a slim line...

HG

I’m here for the entertainment
I like that style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fuzzuki

BAMF
Website
www.fuzzy-riders.com
nice Seadweller... it's nice to know when your head implodes under the pressure of the deepest depths of an ocean... You will know exactly how deep you were when you popped...

nice score.... hope it's a keeper!

i always knew that rolies were huge...

that was until i saw a seadweller ... made the common oyster almost look like a slim line...

Not exactly.
I don't know why we make a watch that is capable of going deeper than any human can withstand.
It very stupid.
Most people who buy it do not even dive.

And also wrong about knowing how deep he was when his head exploded.

The watch will only tell him how long he was under water, if he remembers to set the bezel when he submerged.

As a dive watch it is pretty useless.

My Suunto is so much better for diving.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
not a watch expert by any measure...

but i have sold them and always admired how fuggin stout it was...

to big for my frame...

my submariner is almost too much...

thinking about changing the dial and bezel on it to the cobalt blue option...

(warning)
don't wear your submariner using draino sloppily... it will eat the color right off the bezel... ask me how i know
:dash2:

gsteve

BAMF+
Not exactly.
I don't know why we make a watch that is capable of going deeper than any human can withstand.
It very stupid.
Most people who buy it do not even dive.

And also wrong about knowing how deep he was when his head exploded.

The watch will only tell him how long he was under water, if he remembers to set the bezel when he submerged.

As a dive watch it is pretty useless.

My Suunto is so much better for diving.
Comparing a dive watch to a diving computer is like comparing a notebook to a lap top.

fuzzuki

BAMF
Website
www.fuzzy-riders.com
not a watch expert by any measure...

but i have sold them and always admired how fuggin stout it was...

to big for my frame...

my submariner is almost too much...

thinking about changing the dial and bezel on it to the cobalt blue option...

(warning)
don't wear your submariner using draino sloppily... it will eat the color right off the bezel... ask me how i know
:dash2:
A genuine Rolex Jeweler will not allow this.
Tread lightly my friend.
Don't devalue that watch

BigGar

high on placebo
So my 50 year old band literally wore the fuck out last year. Did a few NATO straps and they were fine but really wanted to have another genuine Rolex band. Finally got it this week. Band was more than what I paid for this watch 20+ years ago😳. Whatever... All is right with the world again.

A23

BAMF+
What's a proper Rolex reaming feel like?

They have some "interesting" pricing practices...:eyepopping1a:

gsteve

BAMF+
Rolex has no pricing practices. Msrp , dealer cant gouge or they will lose the dealership. You might get a discount on the not so popular models. Grey markets are getting 20-30 points over retail on some and close to 100% on the Daytona

fuzzuki

BAMF
Website
www.fuzzy-riders.com
Rolex has no pricing practices. Msrp , dealer cant gouge or they will lose the dealership. You might get a discount on the not so popular models. Grey markets are getting 20-30 points over retail on some and close to 100% on the Daytona
Absolutely incorrect.
They just brought out a world wide service pricing policy.
They may even display it in the store.

BigGar

high on placebo
Ouch.

I guess that's the price of Rolex ownership. :wacko3:
It was pretty silly, but rebuilding the original band was not really an option. Used bands are also expensive and I might just end up with another worn out band that I can't trust. At least the watch is worth 15X what I paid for it, but being that I bought it from my dad, and he's not here any longer, it doesn't really matter what it's worth as it's a keeper for life.

fuzzuki

BAMF
Website
www.fuzzy-riders.com
They have msrp prices for every country if that’s what you mean
Kind of what I mean.
Every country's price is equal around the world, so saving money by buying in China isn't a factor any more. They want you to buy locally and get support locally.

Service pricing is the same word wide also. That's what I meant.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
A genuine Rolex Jeweler will not allow this.
Tread lightly my friend.
Don't devalue that watch
listen here whipper snapper... i am trying to be nice ... lol

i was selling them in the 80's... sold quite a few of them... We were a cert. Rolex dealer... (Long's Jewerlers)

we would sell dials and bracelets all the time... and the customers paperwork would eventually get sorted out in Geneve' at the Rolex Factory so all #'s matched... like i said te Swiss are very anal... LOL

in the late 90's Rolex released more than 1/2 of their accounts because they mostly discounted the product...

made the product a bit more exclusive since now there was only a few select outlets per city...

but i can say that We did not devalue these watches... they were modified with the blessing of Rolex at the time.

i can see why they want to keep each piece factory...

Rolex used to sell through Tiffany and Cartier.... and their dials were marked with the proper logo from that store...

just sayin'

timeschange@161

fuzzuki

BAMF
Website
www.fuzzy-riders.com
listen here whipper snapper... i am trying to be nice ... lol

i was selling them in the 80's... sold quite a few of them... We were a cert. Rolex dealer... (Long's Jewerlers)

we would sell dials and bracelets all the time... and the customers paperwork would eventually get sorted out in Geneve' at the Rolex Factory so all #'s matched... like i said te Swiss are very anal... LOL

in the late 90's Rolex released more than 1/2 of their accounts because they mostly discounted the product...

made the product a bit more exclusive since now there was only a few select outlets per city...

but i can say that We did not devalue these watches... they were modified with the blessing of Rolex at the time.

i can see why they want to keep each piece factory...

Rolex used to sell through Tiffany and Cartier.... and their dials were marked with the proper logo from that store...

just sayin'

timeschange@161

The old days are well behind us.
It's a new world.
Those old practices no longer fly today.

And I know how badly the States bent the rules.

Bracelets were actually made in New York.
Worst bracelets on the product of all times.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
just fuckin' with Ya... don't send any of Your wives after me...

i still know a few Rolex techs from the old days... lol... one is over 80 years old and still working in his home H.E.P.A. controlled workshop...

I don't buy shit to resell...

my sub will get the blue bezel face combo i desire... fuck the next person to get a hold of it... their problem...

but thanks for the heads up on hurting the value on doing so...:biggar:

BigGar

high on placebo
Bracelets were actually made in New York.
Worst bracelets on the product of all times.
That's what my jeweler was telling me too. He even showed me the "Made in USA" on my old Rolex band's clasp. He said Rolex only allowed those bands to be made for two years because they were basically crap. Mine lasted fifty years, with a lot of adjustments and tweaking and such, but the Swiss band is a far superior product in terms of quality. I do not care for the clasp on this new band. It's just not as elegant as the original. The crown stamp seems very weak. And fuck yes I'm already beating it up :)

gsteve

BAMF+
Kind of what I mean.
Every country's price is equal around the world, so saving money by buying in China isn't a factor any more. They want you to buy locally and get support locally.

Service pricing is the same word wide also. That's what I meant.
I’ll try to screen shot the price list. Oddly enough it’s cheaper to buy in Canada once you do the exchange.

A23

BAMF+
Had to grab a green one when it popped up on the bay...really nice watch for the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: HG

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
A month or four back I found my dad's Longines watch. Missing a stem and not having seen the light of day for decades, this classic from 1947 needed a bit of TLC.

31354........... 31355

A friend took it to the watchmaker he uses and for a ridiculously low fee a new crown was installed, it was cleaned, lubed and adjusted along with a bit of polishing on the case, bezel and crystal. Not too bad of a result.

Now, I just have to look at strap options and figure out what would look appropriate.

Last edited:
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
A month or four back I found my dad's Longines watch. Missing a stem and not having seen the light of day for decades, this classic from 1947 needed a bit of TLC.

View attachment 31354........... View attachment 31355

A friend took it to the watchmaker he uses and for a ridiculously low fee a new crown was installed, it was cleaned, lubed and adjusted along with a bit of polishing on the case, bezel and crystal. Not too bad of a result.

View attachment 31356

Now, I just have to look at strap options and figure out what would look appropriate.
Nice oldie.

Due to the age, I'm assuming it's a 36 or 38mm sized case, so probably smaller lug size as well. Check out some of these. You probably need an 18 or 20mm lug.

S.C.

A23

BAMF+
This guy came in today...Uhr-Kraft Automatik w/ ETA 2846 21-jewel non-hacking movement.
Same watch as the Doxa 250T w/o the pricetag...

I had one in blue that was stolen from me about 15 years ago.
When I mentioned that to the seller, he said he had a blue one he was willing to sell me off bay.

They only made a two hundred in each dial color...silver, blue & black.
Of course I'm on the search for a black one now... :wacko3:

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Putting one of my Seiko SRPC07 divers up for sale, if anyone here is interested. $250 shipped CONUS. It's basically brand new. I wore it on a NATO strap maybe three times and then let it sit. OEM bracelet is back on now, complete with tags and factory sticky protective tape shit. No scratches or dings. Comes with a couple extra links for the bracelet, original box and owner's manual.

S.C.

BigGar

high on placebo
I like that watch SC. I'm curious if watches are going to go the way of old cars before long. They're already completely obsolete, but I still love them. But I'm also old. I also like wearing my $37 smartwatch, but I only wear it when I'm in Mexico because I really like wearing my Rolex. My son wears a Garmin. A $1,500 Garmin, but this fucking watch will do everything but suck your dick. Most all of the NSW unit guys wear the Garmins now, and they're quickly becoming ubiquitous among active and rugged young lads. They're so useful that leaving it off and wearing a nice vintage dive watch, or dress watch is akin to leaving their phone at home. It's not happening, and one would look ridiculous wearing two watches. I don't see these kids ever aspiring to a fine Swiss timepiece. I like the functionality of smartwatches but not enough that I'm going to wear one every day. Not yet anyway. I wonder if Rolex or Seiko or Panerai or similar will ever be able to come up with a smartwatch that still captures the rugged elegance and utility of their vintage stuff. It's going to have to be something very special to bridge that gap.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+

BigGar

high on placebo
Interesting article SC. That was a guy with a reason to wear two I suppose, although he could have just worn a GMT style watch. Might have taken a bit more than a glance to ascertain different times though.

Top Bottom