Thinking about buying my first Harley (streetglide) after owning multiple jap bikes. Has anyone here taken the same plunge?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Lemme tell ya, I'd rather work on a Harley than the latest over complicated Wunder Bike. The shit is so tightly packed on the latest super duper junk, that it takes hours to get anything done on one. BMW's where you have to remove 30 or so screws just to get to the battery or air filter. An hour and a half or so to just replace the air filter on a Garbage Wing. Fighting the cam cover (why does everyone refer to them as valve covers on overhead cam engines) off ZX14's, R1's, CBR's and the like. You need completely different scan tools for every make and model which cost thousands and thousands of dollars, IF you can even get it. Why aren't motorcycles required to use a simple OBDII port, and you just need one tool to read them all?

I have no desire to have a Harley, just because I don't want one. I wouldn't be afraid to have one, they're good enough for what they were meant to do.

I wouldn't mine having that XR750.:ducmanic:

Lemme tell ya, I'd rather work on a Harley than the latest over complicated Wunder Bike.
Yes they are easy to work on but for some reason require 4x as many tools.
When I started at Honda they were like "You just have every tool you own here"...not even true but they were working out of bench top toolboxes.

Master-Cylinder

Yes they are easy to work on but for some reason require 4x as many tools.
When I started at Honda they were like "You just have every tool you own here"...not even true but they were working out of bench top toolboxes.
True, they do take a bucket of special tools, but many companies make them. The ignition lock alignment tool, the tool to slide the sleeve off the countershaft to replace the quad seal, and the cam bearing tools get used the most.

Stetson

BAMF
BMW's where you have to remove 30 or so screws just to get to the battery or air filter.
When I got my R1100S, I wound up buying a service manual on Ebay because I couldn't figure out how to access (or find) the battery. When I got the manual and saw how to do it, I thought it must be some kind of a joke. I bought the best battery in the world, and kept it on a tickle charger like it was an e-bike because I never wanted to see it again. And I didn't.

OP
Website
cs.com
Road glide is great if you are a function over form type of guy. If you want it to look good forget it.
Yeah. The street glide is definitely a better looking bike over the road glide (to me). If I want road glide "wind protection". I still have the gl1800 and a fjr1300 among other jap touring bikes for that duty.

Friend with a 14 street glide special wanted to try my Guzzi Stelvio on a day ride so I rode his bike about 60 miles and couldn't wait to get off. About the worse rear suspension I ever experienced on a modern bike. Road imperfections or bumps that I wouldn't even pay attention to just hammer your lower back. Cant believe a $24k touring bike could be so bad. His wife refused to ride on it until he upgraded rear shock. $1000. later for an Ohlins and its pretty much the same. Having less than 2" of travel is the culprit here.

r1racer

BAM
Friend with a 14 street glide special wanted to try my Guzzi Stelvio on a day ride so I rode his bike about 60 miles and couldn't wait to get off. About the worse rear suspension I ever experienced on a modern bike. Road imperfections or bumps that I wouldn't even pay attention to just hammer your lower back. Cant believe a $24k touring bike could be so bad. His wife refused to ride on it until he upgraded rear shock. $1000. later for an Ohlins and its pretty much the same. Having less than 2" of travel is the culprit here.
The suspension on the Street Glide is soft like a couch... same with the wife's Bobber and it only has 2" suspension.... stop being such a wuss.

The suspension on the Street Glide is soft like a couch... same with the wife's Bobber and it only has 2" suspension.... stop being such a wuss.
Sounds like you have a cheap couch. So all the reviews that complain about the shitty ride are wrong then I guess. I just expect more from a touring bike.

r1racer

BAM
Sounds like you have a cheap couch. So all the reviews that complain about the shitty ride are wrong then I guess. I just expect more from a touring bike.
Harley has 50% of the touring market share... what's Yamaha & Guzzi got combined say 3%? Yeah must be that shitty suspension everybody loves.

IMG_20190818_163502.jpg

Last edited:

NTRYDR

Been There. Done That.
My twins are all fine..You guys are far too critical about bikes..Gas tires and oil is all I go through..My 07 Electraglide has 60k and the original clutch.. The Scout is road ready and is quite quick ..About as fast as an original z900.. The Softail has a whole new rear geometry that reminds me of a dirt bikes single shock..It’s right under the seat..It also has over 111 lbs ft. Of torque at 3000 rpm..Had it up to 120 before the weather turned..Sportbikes ARE faster..But for the road most travelled, these work exceptionally well..

2B633463-6C8C-430D-A948-5881251FCC05.jpeg

Last edited:

r1racer

BAM
Harley sells an image. For $30,000 you too, can be a genuine HD "badass".

View attachment 30450

View attachment 30451
VFR Rider.... Harley and their dealers do lots of events for the sport and consumers including burgers & music, charity rides, new model unveilings, test rides, learner classes etc.

Triumph does similar like the worldwide Distinguished Gentleman's Ride for Prostate Cancer.

What do the Jap bike dealers offer besides taking your $$$ ... test rides - no, open Sundays - no, maybe free rice???

DSC01493.JPG
20140725_091618.jpg

They are killing it with the dealerships Light years ahead of the rest , Ducati and triumph are taking up similar business models.. you can walk in , put your hands on the part , buy it and leave with it ... your significant other is over looking at shoes , gloves and hair ties the whole time ..

Might be a good outlet for Cisco’s tank tops .. I’ll take %20 ..

Used to drive me Fkn nuts when I’d buy a bike at * Powersports and the parts guy telling me I had to special order an oil filter ... oh and pay in advance ...

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Used to drive me Fkn nuts when I’d buy a bike at * Powersports and the parts guy telling me I had to special order an oil filter ... oh and pay in advance ...
I've heard about dealerships like this, but I don't understand them. I've worked Parts at a small European dealer, then a big Jap dealer, and then a 6 month sentence at a Harley dealership. If you can't stock a common oil filter, the Company should pull your franchise. Air filters are a problem at a Jap dealer...every style of bike gets its own air filter. Some guy would walk in expecting to find an air filter for a bike Honda only sold for 2 years, and get mad when we didn't have it. He didn't understand you only stock a part you turn over 6 or 7 times a year...not one you would only sell once every 5 years.

It's easy at a H-D dealership, one oil filter and 2 or 3 air filters covers the whole range for 30 years.

And keep a half dozen Speedometers in stock for the Softails because you'll sell 2 or 3 dozen a year. They shake the needles off....'Murica!

Some guys have been buying up dealerships here in the Midwest calling them world of Powersports.. they sell everything, Indian , can am , ktm , ski doo and all the jap big 4 .. they aren’t very good at it either ..

chuck356

BAMF
Some guys have been buying up dealerships here in the Midwest calling them world of Powersports.. they sell everything, Indian , can am , ktm , ski doo and all the jap big 4 .. they aren’t very good at it either ..
That would be be the Jackson brothers, they seem to have slowed done on buying shops lately. More into quantity than quality.

Master-Cylinder

I've heard about dealerships like this, but I don't understand them. I've worked Parts at a small European dealer, then a big Jap dealer, and then a 6 month sentence at a Harley dealership. If you can't stock a common oil filter, the Company should pull your franchise. Air filters are a problem at a Jap dealer...every style of bike gets its own air filter. Some guy would walk in expecting to find an air filter for a bike Honda only sold for 2 years, and get mad when we didn't have it. He didn't understand you only stock a part you turn over 6 or 7 times a year...not one you would only sell once every 5 years.

It's easy at a H-D dealership, one oil filter and 2 or 3 air filters covers the whole range for 30 years.

And keep a half dozen Speedometers in stock for the Softails because you'll sell 2 or 3 dozen a year. They shake the needles off....'Murica!
OEM foam air filters rot on the shelf. You'll pull one out and just have a bag of crumbled goo.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
OEM foam air filters rot on the shelf. You'll pull one out and just have a bag of crumbled goo.
I know. We didn't keep the foam filters for the Kawasakis because they rarely wore them out, washing them out once every 2 or 3 years. If they came through dry they might have kept longer, but Kaw oiled them before they sent them from Japan. The only stock air filter (paper) that we kept in stock was a GL1500 filter...pricey little fucker.

Our dirt bike stuff had fast turn over, we didn't keep the stock air filters...just the better aftermarket ones. Twin Air I think. Most guys had 2, and they wore them out in a year or less. Wash them each every week, they'll wear out from all the handling.

Busamouse

BAMF+
I've had everything from sportbikes to a gl1800 and everything in between. Has anyone here bought a street glide after owning Japanese bikes and if so. what was your experience like with the Harley. Any regrets? I'm looking at a 2014. I like the 103 over the 107. The 107 was just too smooth after a test ride. Damn near felt as smooth as a goldwing. If I'm buying a Harley Davidson. I want the sound and vibration.
I have a mint 97 EG and had a 14 Street Glide but totaled it with a 5 MPH high side leaving a parking spot on wet cobble stone street.
Great ride but stock trim is shit. Rinehearts and better speakers Bike held value well with 40K miles I got a check for 19K when I paid 24K on a special order Amber Whiskey S model.
Looking at a CVO Road Glide Much smoother ride IMHO

VFR Rider

BAMF
VFR Rider.... Harley and their dealers do lots of events for the sport and consumers including burgers & music, charity rides, new model unveilings, test rides, learner classes etc.

Triumph does similar like the worldwide Distinguished Gentleman's Ride for Prostate Cancer.

What do the Jap bike dealers offer besides taking your $$$ ... test rides - no, open Sundays - no, maybe free rice???
I don't buy a bike so I can ride back to the dealer, hang out in the parking lot and eat a burger. Nothing wrong with all the promotional stuff but that I not why I buy a bike. Charity rides are sponsored by various organizations besides dealers so if that is your thing that can be found elsewhere as well......always a good cause I suppose. I purchased a new Jap bike last year after two free test rides at the dealer, one was sponsored by the manufacturer and they had just about every model in the parking lot. I came back about six weeks later and the dealer let me ride the brand new bike off their showroom floor. As for open on Sundays I don't recall anyone rejecting a bike because the dealership is not open on Sunday.

To your question as to what do Jap bike dealers offer?? They offer some of the best designed and engineered bikes on the planet, with the very best overall reliability and performance for thousands less than Harley.

To each his own. Nothing wrong with riding a Harley if that is what you prefer. But they are definitely image driven.

By the way that is a damn nice fifth generation VFR. Kind of wish I had kept mine.

It's funny being a guy who owns jap bikes, and a Harley, and doesn't buy into the lifestyle shit on either side. If I could only have one bike it would not be a Harley, not versatile enough, but for what I bought mine for, it has exceeded my expectations. I am still looking for a good middleweight do it all bike, because the Concours14 and the H-D are both heavy pigs in the grand scheme of things. I will say the C14 is pretty damned sporty for its size, it's a great bike. But the gap from my DR650 to those 2 is too big, I need something else.

Master-Cylinder

It's funny being a guy who owns jap bikes, and a Harley, and doesn't buy into the lifestyle shit on either side. If I could only have one bike it would not be a Harley, not versatile enough, but for what I bought mine for, it has exceeded my expectations. I am still looking for a good middleweight do it all bike, because the Concours14 and the H-D are both heavy pigs in the grand scheme of things. I will say the C14 is pretty damned sporty for its size, it's a great bike. But the gap from my DR650 to those 2 is too big, I need something else.
Triumph twin.

r1racer

BAM
I don't buy a bike so I can ride back to the dealer, hang out in the parking lot and eat a burger. Nothing wrong with all the promotional stuff but that I not why I buy a bike. Charity rides are sponsored by various organizations besides dealers so if that is your thing that can be found elsewhere as well......always a good cause I suppose. I purchased a new Jap bike last year after two free test rides at the dealer, one was sponsored by the manufacturer and they had just about every model in the parking lot. I came back about six weeks later and the dealer let me ride the brand new bike off their showroom floor. As for open on Sundays I don't recall anyone rejecting a bike because the dealership is not open on Sunday.

To your question as to what do Jap bike dealers offer?? They offer some of the best designed and engineered bikes on the planet, with the very best overall reliability and performance for thousands less than Harley.

To each his own. Nothing wrong with riding a Harley if that is what you prefer. But they are definitely image driven.

By the way that is a damn nice fifth generation VFR. Kind of wish I had kept mine.
That's fine however you're talking apples to oranges or in your case sport - adventure bike to cruiser. The Japs arguably don't make a great cruiser with the exception of the Honda Goldwing.

No regrets about selling my 5th gen VFR couple years ago... It was a fine bike especially for it's time however the VFR doesn't hold a candle to the Tuono in any category.

The Europeans sport and adventure bikes (Ducati, BMW, Aprilia, KTM) have surpassed the Jap bikes however they cost more to own and operate. Enjoy your rice burners, they're fun bikes too.

20160618_181554.jpg

Reactions: Red

chuck356

BAMF
Were they the ones buying up all the Z-1s and KZs about 30 years ago for export?
Yes, they went the name TS enterprises, I believe. They had a store on the south end of Mattoon, I was there once around '99 or so. It was a huge, open building with 100's if not 1,000's of motorcycle of every model stacked tightly together. Two levels. Vintage, new, Jap, Hardly, you name it.

Here's a "before" pic. Whoever had it hit a deer but did not lay it down. Look at the huge dent in the tank. It had an engine guard but it was so bent you couldn't ride the thing. Bambi also trashed the front fender and bent the brake rotor.
CAM00184.jpg

Top Bottom