Thinking about buying my first Harley (streetglide) after owning multiple jap bikes. Has anyone here taken the same plunge?

Website
cs.com
I've had everything from sportbikes to a gl1800 and everything in between. Has anyone here bought a street glide after owning Japanese bikes and if so. what was your experience like with the Harley. Any regrets? I'm looking at a 2014. I like the 103 over the 107. The 107 was just too smooth after a test ride. Damn near felt as smooth as a goldwing. If I'm buying a Harley Davidson. I want the sound and vibration.

I made the switch from the Connie to HD in jul of 18 for the touring bike..
20,000 miles in so far and I’m still pretty happy with it..
It’s a 2011 103 , left it stock ( spending money to try to make a HD fast is stupid ) and it rolls
90 all day with the wife , her shoes and her hairdryer ...

I keep the ktm and 12r around too...

If you are going to spend more time on the open road at 80+ than in town you should test ride the fixed fairing Road Glide while you are shopping ..

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I have considered getting a road king from time to time. My buddy had one and I told him under no circumstance should he sell it with out letting me know...later he asked if I was serious...because he sold it....:fu:

I have considered getting a road king from time to time. My buddy had one and I told him under no circumstance should he sell it with out letting me know...later he asked if I was serious...because he sold it....:fu:
They make new ones everyday :up:

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
They make new ones everyday :up:
Ain't it the truth.

Craigslist is full of Roadkings and Fatboys around here.

Last edited:
The 2014 has a high output 103. Cams aren't necessary to be able to pull its own weight unlike previous models. 100 ft pounds torque on that one..stock. Not all twin cams are the same though....unfortunately the newer they are the shittier they are.

Beware shitty compensators. (look up compensator if you don't know what I'm speaking of)
Check your rear brake pads between tire changes. With the brembo caliper most guys only get around 7k miles out of them.
Make sure your saddlebags stay on tight, 14 and newer are notorious for falling off. Change to screw type fasteners if you will.
Beware low oil pressure at hot idle. May need upgraded oil pump/cam plate to keep lifters happy, some do some don't.
Be skeptical of any factory replacement part, dealerships are full of brand new cam plates and lifters that are junk as shipped.
Runs hotter than a mfer if you don't retune it, I don't care if it's bone stock, 2010 and newer run so lean it will bake the paint off your rear cylinder head.

Stetson

BAMF
Sho nuf , every HD guy that thinks he needs a new bike for every new engine has bought at least 5 bikes last decade.. that’s a lot of used bikes ...
My wife's dad and uncles have both been riding their same shovelheads for 30 years. New paint, different fenders maybe, change it a bit once in a while, but the same bikes.
They aren't the kind of HD guys you're likely to bump into at a HOG rally, though.

Old school is a term that comes to mine. :ducmanic:

That's funny because I'm thinking of selling my Road King and getting a Connie.
Connies are great bikes .. between the FJR and the Connie I did almost 70,000 miles on the STs...

300,000 mile lifetime total when I bought the Road Glide , all on inline 4s..

Time for the next thing ..

The road glide found me when an older uncle quit riding , the missus enjoys it so much , she never liked the process of climbing on the STs at 5’5” .. plus she was never super comfy .. She is down for 500 mile + days easy now .. The infotainment system is great and the coms are the best we’ve ever used .. Truely enjoyable 2 up touring bike ..

Rama said it best on my 2015 trip to the dragon , he’d just traded in that beautiful VFR 1200 for a V max , I asked him why ..
He said ‘ man , that thing was like riding an appliance’ ...

He currently on a new Speed Twin and pretty smitten with it ..

Vegas12

BAMF+
Did he get it smog checked before he sold it???

No Harleys for me thanks! One year with some of the gang down in Phoenix, including the Wookie, we swapped bikes for a ride- up to Barrett Jackson? I got stuck with his Harley. It felt like me teeth were going to rattle out and I was scraping $100 of chrome off every time I leaned the bike over more than 5 degrees around every corner corner.

OP
Website
cs.com
The 2014 has a high output 103. Cams aren't necessary to be able to pull its own weight unlike previous models. 100 ft pounds torque on that one..stock. Not all twin cams are the same though....unfortunately the newer they are the shittier they are.

Beware shitty compensators. (look up compensator if you don't know what I'm speaking of)
Check your rear brake pads between tire changes. With the brembo caliper most guys only get around 7k miles out of them.
Make sure your saddlebags stay on tight, 14 and newer are notorious for falling off. Change to screw type fasteners if you will.
Beware low oil pressure at hot idle. May need upgraded oil pump/cam plate to keep lifters happy, some do some don't.
Be skeptical of any factory replacement part, dealerships are full of brand new cam plates and lifters that are junk as shipped.
Runs hotter than a mfer if you don't retune it, I don't care if it's bone stock, 2010 and newer run so lean it will bake the paint off your rear cylinder head.
Thanks for the info 👍

im2fast4uguys

Mr Rabbit
I bought a new Fat Boy with an injected 103 back in 2016 ... I love it!
Still have Gus my 03 Busa, an S1000RR for shits'n'giggles and last year I added a '19 Busa after being led to believe it was the last year of production ... So in my opinion the Harley is fine, but not if it was my only bike

Dameon

BAMF+
I don't know how you'd get to your place, but my Dad has a Road King he really should sell. Rides it about 20 miles a month. He's getting old. It is a police Road King. The story he told me is that Police cops are allowed to buy 2 Road Kings at some level of discount and many of them sell the second one. That's how my Dad got it. He's been the only owner.

I've ridden it. I'm not a Harley candidate. Don't care for the weight of it.

Austin_F

BAMF+
I thought it was reported here that police harleys are leased to departments for something stupid like $300 a year, because when they get them back they can be sold for good money for being a 'police bike'.

Or maybe it was $1000 a year. But it was dirt cheap. Hopefully whoever posted that originally is still here and can tell us.

Stetson

BAMF
I went through the process of looking to add a motorcycle to my department once, and yes, HD was practically free. It was essentially a seasonal lease. Get a new one every year. Powers That Be squawked too much about the cost of training, cost of additional uniform bits, and of course "motorcycles are dangerous." Oh well.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I don't know how you'd get to your place, but my Dad has a Road King he really should sell. Rides it about 20 miles a month. He's getting old. It is a police Road King. The story he told me is that Police cops are allowed to buy 2 Road Kings at some level of discount and many of them sell the second one. That's how my Dad got it. He's been the only owner.

I've ridden it. I'm not a Harley candidate. Don't care for the weight of it.
appreciate the thought :up: but yes, the logistics would kill me.

Go to the local dealer here once in a while to buy little shit parts that I don't have time to order from Pra (which is always my go to). Guess seeing all the bikes in a line up is fun, checking them out etc...always leave with a semi hollow feeling. The short list currently is geared more towards track bikes lately. Possibly a Toyhauler this year as accommodations last year merited a change in the program.

I have owned a 92 Fatboy and a 94 Heritage and still have them parked in the back of my house in moth-ball. Have ridden them to Laughlin Neveda from San Jose at lease 5 or 6 times before which about a 510 miles ride one way and owning the HD and also now owning a 2015 Indian Scout I would take the Scout any day over the Harley.

The only Harley I would get would be a FXR older or FXD, the HA ride FXR's pumped up, I know because when I left Laughlin heading back to San Jose and doing 90mph on my Heritage I had a FXR pass me like I was standing still near the gas stop at Ludlow which the rider had a HA patch followed by about a group of HA riders and followed by a CHP Helicopter above which later I heard the group was stopped in the next town over Barstow on Hwy 40.

So for my many years of riding my HD I would rather ride my Indian Scout except for long ass ride like cross country and such I would change the seat.

LMR

BAMF
You might want to consider a road glide over the street glide. Frame mounted fairings are much better like the goldwing you had. It is also farther away from you. They are wonderful bikes for what they were designed to do.

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
I bought a 2014 Ultra Limited a couple years back and I love it. Surprisingly I ride the backroads on it more than I thought I would. I really figured it would only see 2-up road trips, and it's great for that, but it's more versatile than you'd think. I put slip-ons on it to get a little sound out of it, other than that I think you are wasting money. If I'm in a hurry I take my C14, if I am wanting to venture off the beaten path I take the old DR650. It's all in what you like I guess, and I never thought I'd own a Harley Davidson, but I've yet to regret the purchase.

Stetson

BAMF
The only Harley I would get would be a FXR older or FXD, the HA ride FXR's pumped up,
A buddy of mine broke his clutch wrist once, so we traded bikes till it healed. I got his hot rod '86 FXR, with some big, aftermarket engine. It set off car alarms, and had no gauges at all, but was pretty damn quick.

He got my Honda Ruckus, because he could ride it one handed. :D

scottcolbath

BAMF+
No Harleys for me thanks! One year with some of the gang down in Phoenix, including the Wookie, we swapped bikes for a ride- up to Barrett Jackson? I got stuck with his Harley. It felt like me teeth were going to rattle out and I was scraping $100 of chrome off every time I leaned the bike over more than 5 degrees around every corner corner.
Admit it. You loved that bike vibrating your bung hole.

S.C.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Did you guys hear about the Bagger class running at the MotoAmerica race at Laguna Seca?

I saw it at Roadracing World, so it must be true.

Bet the track cleanup takes longer than the race.

Last edited:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Lemme tell ya, I'd rather work on a Harley than the latest over complicated Wunder Bike. The shit is so tightly packed on the latest super duper junk, that it takes hours to get anything done on one. BMW's where you have to remove 30 or so screws just to get to the battery or air filter. An hour and a half or so to just replace the air filter on a Garbage Wing. Fighting the cam cover (why does everyone refer to them as valve covers on overhead cam engines) off ZX14's, R1's, CBR's and the like. You need completely different scan tools for every make and model which cost thousands and thousands of dollars, IF you can even get it. Why aren't motorcycles required to use a simple OBDII port, and you just need one tool to read them all?

I have no desire to have a Harley, just because I don't want one. I wouldn't be afraid to have one, they're good enough for what they were meant to do.

I wouldn't mine having that XR750.:ducmanic:

Lemme tell ya, I'd rather work on a Harley than the latest over complicated Wunder Bike.
Yes they are easy to work on but for some reason require 4x as many tools.
When I started at Honda they were like "You just have every tool you own here"...not even true but they were working out of bench top toolboxes.

Top Bottom