The Warhorse

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
Got the brakes all cleaned and changed today. Look at that pile of dirt and grime next to the wheel, they were fucking gross. Scrubbed the inside and pistons with a toothbrush and brake clean.

86622B2F-4B48-4D3E-9C05-B2DC314D0A3E.jpeg2F0A8CF7-6951-4D8F-BBE0-C4F899907F90.jpeg

Ground the locating pins off so the bars could be rotated forward for the wide shoulder bastards. Plus Terry_Schiavo Terry_Schiavo said it was a good idea......when the fuck did we start listening to Uncle Squidley?

1CD11072-EC6A-4F93-81D7-66C17B81E18A.jpeg495649AF-18D6-46AB-836D-829D4ED753A4.jpeg

Put the good stuff in her to make sure she continues to run great.

C4363B79-0735-4910-B1C7-9D29188CFE85.jpeg

Jeff was a big help today getting her all buttoned up and ready for the prom.

A814ACAA-6DE2-4177-AF88-B976F6938674.jpeg

And maui maui salutes all you deplorable degenerate non riding fucks

B93A0472-B460-4A8F-93DE-49E94AA0994F.jpeg

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
good news bad news... HH is standard street brake compound wont work too well for the pace youre trying to ride on a closed course.
Interesting, I think that’s what she had on their previously. Guess I should of given you a call. Turn 10 and 14 are truly the only hard braking zones on the East Side every where else is light maintenance braking.It’s going to have to work for now and will consider a change on the next maintenance cycle

Terry_Schiavo

Scrap Bracket magazine cover model
Interesting, I think that’s what she had on their previously. Guess I should of given you a call. Turn 10 and 14 are truly the only hard braking zones on the East Side every where else is light maintenance braking.It’s going to have to work for now and will consider a change on the next maintenance cycle
thats called trail braking... but braking is a skill. Just FYI...when you go to different compounds... it will start to affect brake points & the suspension.
For instance T5 at Barber... when going to a better pad I could go in there so hot the back tire would come off the ground... tis where you get into hyper extending the rear shock...
Also you are going to find out with stiffer springs up front its going to take ALOT more brake force to bring the front end to the middle/bottom of the stroke.

BigGar

high on placebo
Awesome work to keep the old beast in good nick. I can't wait to see what you think of the suspenders. Does that little cotterpin clip go on the drainplug?

BigGar

high on placebo
Also you are going to find out with stiffer springs up front its going to take ALOT more brake force to bring the front end to the middle/bottom of the stroke.
Wouldn't those HH pads provide that or are there top secret racer only boo-koo grippys out there to be had?
Should we look for $ponsor$ship?
I'm callin' Ro$$ :)

Terry_Schiavo

Wouldn't those HH pads provide that or are there top secret racer only boo-koo grippys out there to be had?
Should we look for $ponsor$ship?
I'm callin' Ro$$ :)
HH is what comes standard in every sport bike... for closed course you want something in a higher heat range depending on pace & preference. You can overwhelm the HH pads pretty quickly to where it feels like youre using wooden pads.

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
TS was right, with my new found speed the last 30 days the HH were grabbing as fuck.

TS was right, with my new found speed the last 30 days the HH were grabbing as fuck.
Being smooth on the brakes takes practice.

I have HH sintered pads on mine, ss lines, brembo master cylinder. They don't have a lot of bite until they get warm/ hot. I want a lot of initial bite! When they are hot, it doesn't take a lot to get the brakes working, two fingers will give me all the brakes I need. . I like that. It's up to me to keep it off the asphalt.

Going into turn 10, west track, I need a shit ton of brakes, turn 2 is another hard braking but not as much.

Ride the war horse clockwise on the west track in A group.

Maybe you can change my mind?

Shiavo is probably right about the faster riders. I'm not a fast guy and my brakes stayed the same for each session. No wooden feeling. Just great brakes.

I was working on timing and smooth on the brakes all weekend, not many laps on that track.

Last edited:
OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
So a big thanks to Pra, Jeff, Gar and Tim for all the help this last week bringing the Warhorse back to life. She was tired and needed attention in many areas. We still have work to do but she was a completely different bike today. Today is the fastest I have ever ridden and it was because of how well she performed

The tires Pra sent were bad ass and very sticky, the brakes were a bit grabby, but to confidence inspiring. Between the muffle repack, the air filter and oil change she felt much smoother on the throttle and had a bunch more power. On the front straight today in either 3 or 4th she was wanted to lift the front end. Consistently was seeing 157-158 mph and one time saw something into the low 160’s. Suspension felt great but only had a base line setup as our guy was coaching today and couldn’t do the setup. We will catch him next time and get a nice setup in the bike. That said the front springs felt way better and gave great feel.

All in all she was excellent and showed back as much love as she was shown the past week. More parts are coming as we plan on making her a touch better here and there.

Thanks again fellas it took a village to nurse her back to full health, but she’s better now than I can ever remember her.

Terry_Schiavo

Maybe you can change my mind?
Shiavo is probably right about the faster riders. I'm not a fast guy and my brakes stayed the same for each session. No wooden feeling. Just great brakes.
I was working on timing and smooth on the brakes all weekend, not many laps on that track.
I just pointed out that the fact the bike only sees closed course duty that HH may not be the best compound. Wasnt necessarily an indictment of their abilities...
Would I race on a set? No. If I was riding around off pace working on other things... sure. My R1 has stock HH compound pads because I just finished the suspension to move to a slick.
They will still pitch you over the bars... only complaint would be the amount of heat needed in the 6 pots.
Its all relative...I still have to put proper clipon bars on the bike. :)

Terry_Schiavo

Between the muffle repack, the air filter and oil change she felt much smoother on the throttle and had a bunch more power. On the front straight today in either 3 or 4th she was wanted to lift the front end. Consistently was seeing 157-158 mph and one time saw something into the low 160’s. Suspension felt great but only had a base line setup as our guy was coaching today and couldn’t do the setup. We will catch him next time and get a nice setup in the bike. That said the front springs felt way better and gave great feel.
you probably should tape over the speedo display. Only time you should worry about trap speed is when there is a radar gun... even then it really doesnt mean much.
Taking concentration away to look at the speedo means missing reference points.

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
you probably should tape over the speedo display. Only time you should worry about trap speed is when there is a radar gun... even then it really doesnt mean much.
Taking concentration away to look at the speedo means missing reference points.
All good my friend! It’s a quick glance at the speedo on the front straight as I transition from gas to brakes.

You know I appreciate all your help. You have really helped me become a better student

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
All good my friend! It’s a quick glance at the speedo on the front straight as I transition from gas to brakes.

You know I appreciate all your help. You have really helped me become a better student
That’s probably right when you shouldn’t be looking. You’re dropping your eyes from 200+ yds away at 160mph to 12” and zero mph then back again. At 160 you’re traveling 234 feet per second. There is no valuable information from the speedometer at that part of the track. If you do it more then one time it becomes a practice. If you’re going to practice that you’re going to get good at it. Getting good at a bad idea is...a bad idea. If you want that info mount your GoPro on the tank.

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
That’s probably right when you shouldn’t be looking. You’re dropping your eyes from 200+ yds away at 160mph to 12” and zero mph then back again. At 160 you’re traveling 234 feet per second. There is no valuable information from the speedometer at that part of the track. If you do it more then one time it becomes a practice. If you’re going to practice that you’re going to get good at it. Getting good at a bad idea is...a bad idea. If you want that info mount your GoPro on the tank.
Thank you I appreciate all of your help to make me better

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
Point taken :up:

It is amazing, though, how much a little TLC and a refresh of fluids, filters, pads, and tires can make a difference.
When are you going to come and join us? My google maps shows you have a shorter drive than I do?

rumble phish

BAMF+
When are you going to come and join us? My google maps shows you have a shorter drive than I do?
Exactly. I drive/ride 18 hours to show up. Some of you fuckers need to make a trip up and say hello

Well, if y'all wanna start a "Go Fund Me" page to get Omar the tent maker to stitch me up a set of full leathers (might take two cows) and get WAYYYY stiffer suspension on the Warhorse, I'd LOVE to come out and ride :lol: Does someone have a "big boy" (as in fat ass) bike for me to ride? :lol:

In all seriousness, you're right. I'd love to meet up with you guys and hang for a day. I guess I could be the "Pit Crew". Im'ma try to work it out (but it will be a bit depressing since I won't be riding). I have been wanting to put together an LAB's "range" day, but with ammo prices shot to hell (pun intended) that became a pipe dream.

OP
Stites

Stites

Kawapuke in training
Well, if y'all wanna start a "Go Fund Me" page to get Omar the tent maker to stitch me up a set of full leathers (might take two cows) and get WAYYYY stiffer suspension on the Warhorse, I'd LOVE to come out and ride :lol: Does someone have a "big boy" (as in fat ass) bike for me to ride? :lol:

In all seriousness, you're right. I'd love to meet up with you guys and hang for a day. I guess I could be the "Pit Crew". Im'ma try to work it out (but it will be a bit depressing since I won't be riding). I have been wanting to put together an LAB's "range" day, but with ammo prices shot to hell (pun intended) that became a pipe dream.
Just come hang out to start and we can work out details from there

Terry_Schiavo

Im 100% positive we have leathers for you. It might be a combo of shop leathers and Qwik Qwik ROSSI Signature set... however you will have to ride 2up on the Warhorse...with Stites Stites just for a couple sessions where he does the "no brakes" drill...lol

Top Bottom