...THE... RANDOM PIX thread...

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
I love those old FJ1200s. What was their achilles heel, I can't remember. Weren't they notorious for wiping out cranks? Or losing second gear? Or something like that?
2nd gear, almost guaranteed! You had to get them undercut.

Also, the oil could get really hot and the top end wouldn't quite get enough oil. Larger or secondary oil coolers and have the main oil passageway to the head slightly reamed out for a bit more volume. I did all of that to my 86 which was heavily modded, and it did help. Running regular dinosaur oil back in the day, I'd still change the oil every 1,000 - 1,500 miles as viscosity would break down and you could watch oil pressure start to drop compared to a fresh sump.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
When mine are parked for a time this is how I lock them up.

On my Busa I ground the stops a little so it would be harder to get off the center stand since I had jacked the back up a little and the rear tire almost touched the ground.
I remember grinding my sidestand but don't remember if I did the centerstand.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I love those old FJ1200s. What was their achilles heel, I can't remember. Weren't they notorious for wiping out cranks? Or losing second gear? Or something like that?
Yamaha's were know for jumping out of second gear. The problem with undercutting is that they can grind thru the harden surface of the gear dogs. And...is why I spent a fortune on all new gears in the Ratt Maxx transmission.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
The problem with undercutting is that they can grind thru the harden surface of the gear dogs.
Had you sent me an OEM and an undercut gear I could've tested the hardness and confirmed your theory. Air hardening steels will harden through the entire section but still provide decent toughness without undue embrittlement.

Ninjaman12R

Joe Rogan, I smoke rocks....🖕
2nd gear, almost guaranteed! You had to get them undercut.

Also, the oil could get really hot and the top end wouldn't quite get enough oil. Larger or secondary oil coolers and have the main oil passageway to the head slightly reamed out for a bit more volume. I did all of that to my 86 which was heavily modded, and it did help. Running regular dinosaur oil back in the day, I'd still change the oil every 1,000 - 1,500 miles as viscosity would break down and you could watch oil pressure start to drop compared to a fresh sump.
I had a '90 or '91 model, best burnout bike I ever had....😀

whipit1K

BAMF
Yamaha's were know for jumping out of second gear. The problem with undercutting is that they can grind thru the harden surface of the gear dogs. And...is why I spent a fortune on all new gears in the Ratt Maxx transmission.
How is that little trans swap coming along?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
How is that little trans swap coming along?
Trans is done, now waiting for tyme to put it back together. Stuff keeps showing up for me to work on, pushing my junk back on the shelf. Last night I wanted to kill everyone in Japan because of the way they built the Honda PCX150, fuckers made it so you have to take almost all the body work off to get to two valve adjusters! :2guns: Might just be easier next tyme to just drop the engine out of it. I need to take a few months off just for my stuff.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Trans is done, now waiting for tyme to put it back together. Stuff keeps showing up for me to work on, pushing my junk back on the shelf. Last night I wanted to kill everyone in Japan because of the way they built the Honda PCX150, fuckers made it so you have to take almost all the body work off to get to two valve adjusters! :2guns: Might just be easier next tyme to just drop the engine out of it. I need to take a few months off just for my stuff.
Or drill/cut out holes so you can adjust the valves through the bodywork?

C. Dolan

BAMF+
Hell YES, Moto Guzzi! They're jumping in to the 21st century.

V100 Mandello
1042cc liquid cooled 90 degree V-twin DOHC tuned to 115hp / 78lb-ft torque.
Worlds first bike with active aerodynamics - wind deflectors on the upper tank edges/sides deploy for comfort and wind protection.

View attachment 88531
Have had one on order ( verbal ) a few months ago.
They even built a new branch of the factory for it.
Was supposed to come out in 2021 as an anniversario model, but delayed .
The green and silver are the anniversary colors.
Other models with that color did come out last year.
The Mandello comes out with all the suspension upgrades with that color.
There will also be a cheaper base model in red.

Top Bottom