The most incredible engines ever made

OP
Aqualung

Aqualung

BAMF
Oh, and Brandi, you have my email and I'm single again

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
well tim yer one of the best hotrods i ever seen : )

rocket motor what's the fucking difference?

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
Oh, and Brandi, you have my email and I'm single again
yer email always get s kicked back to me that it is no longer valid:2guns:

I need to ride in the next few weeks it's been almost a year.

shall i come to yer house and we can ride yer back yard. LOL
& i quit smoking (my own ciggarettes~ LOL!)
so i can ride the easy mountain roads
there's been some great fires lateley!
that means fresh grated mountain roads !

OP
Aqualung

Aqualung

BAMF
yer email always get s kicked back to me that it is no longer valid:2guns:

I need to ride in the next few weeks it's been almost a year.

shall i come to yer house and we can ride yer back yard. LOL
& i quit smoking (my own ciggarettes~ LOL!)
so i can ride the easy mountain roads
there's been some great fires lateley!
that means fresh grated mountain roads !
Yes

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
It's like the old, "hurt the motor in my car" redneck saying.
They should be saying, hurt the engine in my car. :lol:

I know there are rocket motors, and rocket engines. You always hear about motors, not engines.

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
: )

i'll write in a few i'm fixin some supper for PV and Bitchon2weels
they want garlic& sea salt asparagus and chicken fettichini alfredo.

OP
Aqualung

Aqualung

BAMF
Those my friends are Saturn F-1's or maybe F-1A's. Over 19 ft tall and each capable of producing around 1.5 million pounds of thrust. Kero and LOX fuel. Made by Rocketdyne.
exacley

LE05BUSA

GFY
There is one on Canoga Ave. at the old Rocketdyne plant, on display...been there for 30+ years. When I was a kid, Rocketdyne would test all their new engine designs on Friday afternoons. Suckers would shake my house from 4-5 miles away. :up:

Engage

BAMF+
Currently in the western spiral arm of an insignif
There is one on Canoga Ave. at the old Rocketdyne plant, on display...been there for 30+ years. When I was a kid, Rocketdyne would test all their new engine designs on Friday afternoons. Suckers would shake my house from 4-5 miles away. :up:

When I was living in SD I remember when they were talking about tearing down the test stand. Some wanted it made a historical site. Others wanted to develope the real estate.

LE05BUSA

GFY
Now the Santa Susana lab where they tested everything is a SuperFund site...Chromium-6, radioactive waste, etc. all in the soil and groundwater.

WVMadMax

BAMF
They had a Saturn engine test stand out behind the bldg where I last worked at Marshall Space Flight Center. I wasn't there for the test, before my time, but the old guys said 200 db of noise (disintegrate you) along with the shake, rattle and roll! I thought Chrysler was the overall Saturn F1 motor contractor, with maybe RocketDyne the sub?

Either way, very damn impressive I can tell you because I watched and felt the last one fired! I was 15-20 miles away from the Cape in Titusville and that sucker flat lit up the sky at midnight like it was the sun coming up and shook the ground and the car I was sitting on and rattled the windows! It was a 10g ride straight up for the brave astronauts too, compared to about 4g for a Shuttle ride (like a Top Fuel dragster).

Oilheadron

BAMF
Way back when they were testing one in Huntsville, AL, the protective plug (made of wood I believe) in the nozzle was accidentally left in when they fired it up. The pressures went crazy and the plug blew out and sloped down and out of an exhaust diverter and wiped out about 100 yds. worth of chainlink fence like a quarter mile away or so. :lol: :eek:

tinhead

Has never named a pet
The part that hurts is that America doesn't make any bigass huck shit into space stuff anymore.:frown:
Those motors should be something other than history.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
5, here is the one on Canoga.

The engineering you DON'T see is how the fuk did they mount 5 of those for 7.5 million pounds of thrust into an airworthy frame? Want to take a ride to the moon with a few of those motors strapped on your ass?:eek:

tinhead

Has never named a pet
I look closer to the left of the red pipe and see two stancions built from 4 or 5 tubes, terminating in a throughbolt mount. There may be another one behind the red pipe, looks like the spacing might be for 5 of them.

Only 300,000 pounds of thrust on each bolt.:suprise:

tinhead

Has never named a pet
OK all you rocket scientists:lol:

Why does only the lower left motor have something around the terminus of the cone, toward the bottom of the pic? It can be seen that the sheet metal is carefully formed around that gizmo.Is that the motor the fuse goes in to?:confused:

WVMadMax

BAMF
Don't know, you will probably need a guy from the sixties engineering team to answer that question I think (the bulge and thinge on the lower left engine). My guess is a data port (electronic cabling port).
Get yourself down to Huntsville, AL, and check out a Saturn V vertically assembled, about 350 feet I think, over 300 feet for sure, and damn impressive - see at the Space & Rocket Center (known to local engineering wags as the Racing Sprocket Center). If I knew how to post photos here I could show you from my trip back to H'ville last year for the first time in 20 years (I should learn - no execuses).

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
I look closer to the left of the red pipe and see two stancions built from 4 or 5 tubes, terminating in a throughbolt mount. There may be another one behind the red pipe, looks like the spacing might be for 5 of them.

Only 300,000 pounds of thrust on each bolt.:suprise:
Look at the pic of the engines mounted to the bottom of the vehicle....looks like the stanchions are merely steering linkage points for the hydraulic rams which would position them, steering/adjusting the thrust angles.

Missing from that pic I'm guessing is some type of coupler/pivot mount on the bottom for the vehicle for those monsters to exert their thrust against.

:confused:

WVMadMax

BAMF
FU Captain Zotter!!!
Photobucket finally answered my email and told me they don't support my browser. So I guess no photo posting until I get around to the SW upgrades.

thechief

BAMF
The guys who rode those to space had balls of steel. If one of those had exploded the Challenger accident would have looked like a sparkler.

Red

BAMF
Website
www.WestCoastSportbikes.oRg

All the same to me . . .

When they go boom ,
I go pretend to put em out .

:bomb:

Top Bottom