The best Sportsbike ever made...

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
This 2001 gsxr1000 seems to run pretty well ... i suspect this "fella" missed something!

I don't remember any "stock motor" 12 running this fast.

again you dont ever show stock bikes... I know my stock motord & wheelbase 12 has been 153 @ basement 9s with my fat ass aboard. Let me go find some limo bikes...lmao :fu:

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
um huh... meanwhile none that ran here at sea level uncorrected were worth a shit. And FYI we have a fella that threw every trick at his and was still beaten by bus lengths with a stock motor'd 12...lmao
I saw the same shit here, I loved owning a bike so many people hated, and refused to give it any credit. It made all the things it did well even more special. 😀

gsxrian

BAMF
um huh... meanwhile none that ran here at sea level uncorrected were worth a shit. "And FYI we have a fella that threw every trick at his and was still beaten by bus lengths with a stock motor'd 12...lmao"
I guess you must be smoking Tinhead ganji .... you forgot what YOU posted!

You made the reference of modified 01 gsxr1000 vs stock 12.

Put down the bong and step away from the keyboard.:)

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I guess you must be smoking Tinhead ganji .... you forgot what YOU posted!
You made the reference of modified 01 gsxr1000 vs stock 12.
Put down the bong and step away from the keyboard.:)
right... pretty sure the owner of said 01 bike posts here. Even in a modified state it was a turd. Sure you throw enough loot at anything it could be made fast...

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
This is a super interesting topic. But what do we define as a sportbike? I mean are the Busa, ZX11, ZX12, Blackbird, CBX, black shadow sportbikes? Or are they hyperbikes? in another class?
duc called them hyperbores... the Blackturd with its abs was an abomination IMHO. It had an msrp of 12k in the 90s... even turbo'd it was just milequost

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Rickey Gadson
·Registered
Joined Feb 19, 2002
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 Mar 19, 2002

In Gainesville Fla. Scotty Jones from Fla. showed up with a new 12 and asked Keith Thompson of Maryland, and Keith Dennis of Memphis to make passes on it.

Bike setup was:

Stock bike 445 miles

Stock pipe

Stock wheelbase

16-44 gearing

not lowered in front except for tie down strap

lowered slightly in back

Stock air filters

pump gas

Red

Keith Thompson(160 pounds)gets on it and runs 9.61 @ 146 mph with 1.65 60ft.

Keith Dennis(Shine) jumps on and runs 9.54 @ 146mph with 1.62 60 ft.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Here's the record...

KAWASAKI'S new ZX-12R has set a world speed record - as the fastest-accelerating production bike on the planet.

17 Nov 1999
MCN Reporter

The bike, designed to steal the title of the world's fastest production machine from Suzuki's Hayabusa, covered a standing quarter-mile in 9.52 seconds at 147mph in the U.S. last week. The Hayabusa's best run in the hands of MCN's road testers earlier this year was 9.91 seconds at 146mph.
The Kawasaki was rolled out in front of an amazed crowd at the Rockingham Dragway, in North Carolina, last week. It was a demonstration by the Team Green Kawasaki race outfit to show what the bike could do. Its rider Rickey Gadson took it to the record-breaking time, while his team-mates Chris Williams and Chip Ellis managed 9.79 seconds and 9.69 seconds respectively - even though the clutch was well past its best by the time Williams climbed on board.

It was a standard ZX-12R - just like the bike you'll be able to buy next year - except for suspension tweaks to improve traction and prevent wheelies. The forks were slid up through the yokes by 5cm and the rear suspension was dropped 10cm from the stock settings.

By the time the ZX-12R crossed the line at nearly 150mph it was only in third gear. With another three ratios to go, the bike's claimed 200mph top speed should be within reach.

Ricky Gadson just blistered the 1/4 mile in the brand new zx-12 with a Muzzy titanium oval carbon pipe... an awesome 9.48 seconds at 150 mph

So, your "basement nines" and 154 mph is bs.

Last edited:

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Rickey Gadson
·Registered
Joined Feb 19, 2002
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 Mar 19, 2002

In Gainesville Fla. Scotty Jones from Fla. showed up with a new 12 and asked Keith Thompson of Maryland, and Keith Dennis of Memphis to make passes on it.
Bike setup was:
Stock bike 445 miles

Stock pipe

Stock wheelbase

16-44 gearing
not lowered in front except for tie down strap
lowered slightly in back
Stock air filters

pump gas
Red
Keith Thompson(160 pounds)gets on it and runs 9.61 @ 146 mph with 1.65 60ft.

Keith Dennis(Shine) jumps on and runs 9.54 @ 146mph with 1.62 60 ft.
that wss a preproduction model

HG

I’m here for the entertainment
the one that started it all, referred to as a crotch rocket, the 1984 Ninja 900 GPZ :smile2: had the first one in Austin, went on the buy the first ZX11 (wanted to get the first one in Houston from a little shop on the SW freeway, Houston Kawasaki) and then on to the 2000 ZX12R....I really loved 12. Thought I was hot shit, humbling to know you ain’t shit :cool:

View attachment 52645
Houston Kawasaki was a nice place. Small operation with real racers.

The first and only Muzzy Raptor I’ve ever seen was there. 😎

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
So, the "best sportSbike" is defined as a dragracing bike? Oh fuck, we're lost.
no... Ive done trackdays with a 12 as well as LSR and many mile road trips... but for a streetbike it was pretty dambed good. Eventually I moved towards a track oriented bike... which the 2006 GSXR1000 filled nicely for a split duty ride. The Kawi was better than the gixxers til 05... I had a deposit on an 06 14r but after delays on release I took a refund credit and bought the 1k. After that street riding wasnt attractive anymore.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
You think that you went quicker than the record on your bike, outriding Gadson and making more power than possible for a stock bike. It is you that is clueless.
how does Gadsons dick taste?? Do you have his pinstripe posters in your bedroom?? hahahaha
You are fucking clueless. Go borrow a boosa and Ill put on a clinic for ya. The cost will be $10,000 and an autographed Keith Dennis picture

I had the first 12 that chuck356 sold. I rode it until it was broke in and got it's first service then gave it to one of my normal human sized buddies to ride at US 41. It was absolutely box stock, we didn't even lower the air pressure in the tire. On a 95° day he went 10:25@140.

We ran it at the RT 66 Pro Star race that summer and he ran about the same. Mad Mike was there with his stock 12, and was running about the same as us. We were putting about 3 mph on the stock Busas.

That said, I did not love that bike at all. Since it was an early one it had some issues that Kaw refused to address. I damn near traded it for a Boosa.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Oh the memories...

My first real sport bike ..over 20 years ago

Dyna 2000 ignition box
Stage 3 dyno jet kit
K&N twin pod filters

One piece welded vance&hines race full exhaust ( not in picture)

Love hate relationship... bought it fully modded and had issues fouling plugs..but at WOT, that thing would power wheelie in 2nd in all its glorious 550 lbs.. went back to stage 1 and stock exhaust to get decent drivability

Had a blast riding that bike to go grab a beer at the next town 30 miles and ride back in 7 minutes at 140-150 mph ( speedo reading) with another gix and a zx11..

Siting on that was like siting on a 2x4..but wind protection was decent.. rode to north of montreal with it , 600 miles run, to go see david husher of Moist needed a chain wben i got back.. towed it the last 20 miles.... good times !

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
I had a zx12 for 14 years there are a lot of cons to owning one. It was fun, but it's a bike I wouldn't have much interest in having another one.
View attachment 52732
Number 1 con for me, ate fucking tires like they were tic tacs......😧

Number 2 con, took a few bucks to get the clutch where the bike could be thrashed to fucking death with no worries of the basket exploding (A1 model)

As far as the rest it was like anything else, mod it to your taste and enjoy.

I've got a line on a minty 15XX mile 2000 model Red 12R, RC components wheels, carbon akrapovic full system, power commander, and it's owned by a guy who has a decent collection and actually maintains the bikes. All it would really need is tires, but the clutch shit is scarce now, and it's more nostalgic than practical.

But I still think about it........🤔

I sent Terry_Schiavo Terry_Schiavo some pics of it, it's a NICE bike.

Number one con to me was the brakes on my A1
And fuel mileage terrible. my record was running through a tank of gas in 95 miles.
Cranky thing idles different every day, good thing the adjustment was easy to get to.
Used to have it tuned all the time. Can be jerky riding it in traffic, they were born to fly.
Ended up with a 1287, couldn't get caught in traffic then or overheats, but that extra torque is just what that bike needed. I modded my own clutch before it had a chance to fail.

Top Bottom