Tesla Still Isn't Making Sense - GM Has Fighting Words For Tesla

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
JP Morgan has to pay 1 billion, but VW has to pay 35 billion, wtf? I get they lied to people about emissions but why the disparity in punishment?
Publics Righteous indignation that a trusted company was deceiving them
Everyone expects JP morgan to be crooks

Austin_F

BAMF+
I thought maybe the green people in politics got involved with the vw issue and helped bump up the fine.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
  • Red
Reactions: Red

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Mazda Corp filing:

For the year, sales totaled 278,552 vehicles, a decrease of 7.2 percent compared to 2018. There were 307 selling days in 2019, versus 307 in 2018, resulting in a calendar year DSR decrease of 7.2 percent.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I hope GM can build that thing. Like the Nikola Badger, not in actual production. Wonder how the bed and body one piece deal will hold up in the long run....its not like all successful truck designs don't do that. GM took a Honda ridge line and changed the scale.

luckystrike

Just Grip and Rip
Website
lemonparty.org
Q3 is out

On track for 500K deliveries this year, of that the new China factory alone is about to crank out 150K cars

139K cars handed over in Q3 = 40% growth YoY

Q3 Revenue: $8.77 billion vs. $8.26 billion expected
Q3 Adjusted earnings per share: 76 cents vs. 55 cents expected

Vegas12

BAMF+
I hope GM can build that thing. Like the Nikola Badger, not in actual production. Wonder how the bed and body one piece deal will hold up in the long run....its not like all successful truck designs don't do that. GM took a Honda ridge line and changed the scale.

The avalanche was the same architecture.....have no clue if it held up or not.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Yeah the cyber truck also has that one body bed, design… Not a big fan of that either

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Tesla Finally Admits Model 3 Bumpers Fall Off In Rain

More than two years after Tesla initially told Jalopnik it was investigating why multiple brand-new Model 3s had their rear bumpers ripped off while driving on wet roads, the company effectively admitted there was a fault with the design and will cover the damage under the vehicle’s warranty.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Ford did it in '61-'63 I think. For the F100 as an option. It didn't catch on. It was Unit Construction.

Too many people used their trucks as trucks back then, not mall crawlers. The beds would bend away from the cab.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Tesla Finally Admits Model 3 Bumpers Fall Off In Rain

Tesla also admitted record 3rd quarter profits.

no doubt from not buying enough bumper glue

Uh-h-h-h...I'm pretty sure the Cameos were a separate bed like their regular trucks.

The bed on the F100 was an extension of the cab, so to speak.

The Cameo was originally designed to be one piece. They built a few and chickened out. The Chevy dealer in Cissna Park, IL had one. Back in the late '80s he claimed it was worth a bazillion dollars.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Sometimes, it's hard for a software company to build cars...
and even harder to admit they are poor investment peacocking around with bullshit designs and worst execution ratings from JD power (yes I know they managed to improve)
Again this is a company of smoke and mirrors. It is financially UNSOUND no matter how loyal the user base

Dameon

BAMF+
The Cameo was originally designed to be one piece. They built a few and chickened out. The Chevy dealer in Cissna Park, IL had one. Back in the late '80s he claimed it was worth a bazillion dollars.
I would guess it would be worth a bazillion as I couldn't even find an image in Google. They do mention it in the one-sheeter below though.

• Red
The square body Chevy trucks were really good at that. You could tell the guys who actually went offroad because the driver's side front corner of the box would be 6" lower than the rear corner.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
My Favorite Design Detail On The Beautiful Lucid Air EV Almost Didn't Make It To Production

Staring at the all-new 2021 Lucid Air electric luxury sedan in person is like looking into a fountain of everything Lincoln could have been and sadly isn’t. The car is stunning, and it’s the attention to detail on touches around the car that make it special. One detail in particular surprised me, and I wasn’t the only one surprised.

• WTF

Dameon

BAMF+
The car is stunning, and it’s the attention to detail on touches around the car that make it special.
Yeah, putting the same directional wheels on both sides of the car... real attention to detail. :roll:

Otherwise not a bad car. I would consider it in a few years when there is more infrastructure support and local mobile technicians.

Of course the bullshit marketing statement "one detail in... blah blah" was never explained, unless I just missed it.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Yeah, putting the same directional wheels on both sides of the car... real attention to detail. :roll:

Otherwise not a bad car. I would consider it in a few years when there is more infrastructure support and local mobile technicians.

Of course the bullshit marketing statement "one detail in... blah blah" was never explained, unless I just missed it.
the detail is that its not a Tesla

luckystrike

Just Grip and Rip
Website
lemonparty.org
I'm still sticking with the thesis that automotive creature comforts and luxury will be obsoleted in short order

I'm seeing it more and more with Gen Z

The EV era will be less about projecting status and/or comfort while sitting in a cheese doodle and mega slurp drive thru and more so about getting me where I need to go with the least hassle or bringing me stuff I want/need NOW

We'll look back and marvel at people who did 2 hour commutes and navigated mega Walmart parking lots

China virus is accelerating this as well

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I'm still sticking with the thesis that automotive creature comforts and luxury will be obsoleted in short order

I'm seeing it more and more with Gen Z

The EV era will be less about projecting status and/or comfort while sitting in a cheese doodle and mega slurp drive thru and more so about getting me where I need to go with the least hassle or bringing me stuff I want/need NOW

We'll look back and marvel at people who did 2 hour commutes and navigated mega Walmart parking lots

China virus is accelerating this as well
if (when) fully autonomous driving hits, it will be just like you say. People will be able to get into a transporter they most likely will never own, and show up where they want to be, cheaper and safer. The status of a nice car will decline as ownership will become less of a commonality. There will likely be exceptions, but I think this is where we're headed.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Those transport pods will be as nice as subway cars, I suspect.
the free market will determine what you get quality wise. You'll get what you pay for also as this could have significantly more personal detail on the ridership then a subway car, people may think twice about destroying stuff. The car could just re-route to a police station with the doors locked, trap door on the bottom over the alligator pit etc...

luckystrike

Just Grip and Rip
Website
lemonparty.org
We are approaching, if not already there, a world where everything you need can be brought to your door

Full stop

As maui said, the free market will determine where we land

(Although, at the moment regulation is determining the trajectory just as much as trends and changing habits. It's governments, let by Europe, that are hastening the demise of fossil cars for sure, and eventually driving all together)

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
We are approaching, if not already there, a world where everything you need can be brought to your door

Full stop

As maui said, the free market will determine where we land

(Although, at the moment regulation is determining the trajectory just as much as trends and changing habits. It's governments, let by Europe, that are hastening the demise of fossil cars for sure, and eventually driving all together)
ICE cars are going to be less prevalent. Theres no getting around that.

Fuel, gas or diesel, is still more energy dense so they will have critical applications into the future, but it will eventually be over come....with better stuff.

Autonomy and energy management are where the break throughs are going to be, not so much what cars look or feel like. They will basically become furniture.

luckystrike

Just Grip and Rip
Website
lemonparty.org
ICE cars are going to be less prevalent. Theres no getting around that.

Fuel, gas or diesel, is still more energy dense so they will have critical applications into the future, but it will eventually be over come....with better stuff.

Autonomy and energy management are where the break throughs are going to be, not so much what cars look or feel like. They will basically become furniture.
Furniture...I like that

(Not that I'm celebrating any of this)

wormser77

BAMF
Hopefully I'll be that old man in my classic ice vehicle cruising in the world of fully autonomous vehicles. Hell, maybe the old world roads will be a classic outlaw way of traveling once everything goes airborne. I'll fire up a nasty v8 or liter bike, crank some Rush Red Barchetta and be free ride/drive my machines and not be hassled by the man🤘

luckystrike

Just Grip and Rip
Website
lemonparty.org
Hopefully I'll be that old man in my classic ice vehicle cruising in the world of fully autonomous vehicles. Hell, maybe the old world roads will be a classic outlaw way of traveling once everything goes airborne. I'll fire up a nasty v8 or liter bike, crank some Rush Red Barchetta and be free ride/drive my machines and not be hassled by the man🤘
I suspect first ICE and then carbon piloted vehicles will be legislated out of existence

At first it will be harder and harder to own/operate ICE cars, like Japan does today for owners of cars older than 3 or 5 years old (can't remember what the threshold is)

End game is the machines will ban both ICE and carbon pilots outright

This is going to happen sooner than many think

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I suspect first ICE and then carbon piloted vehicles will be legislated out of existence

At first it will be harder and harder to own/operate ICE cars, like Japan does today for owners of cars older than 3 or 5 years old (can't remember what the threshold is)

luckily you can still grow ethanol

wormser77

BAMF

Like I said, outlaw way of traveling 👍🏻
We'll be going to the petrol dealer like a crack dealer😆
In the news today 10,000 gallons of high grade fuel was intercepted by drones trying to cross over into the US from the Mexico border.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
I suspect the interior of my Autonomous Transport Pod would differ substantially from my wife's ATP.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF

• David Einhorn questioned Tesla's stock rally, predicted a slump in tech stocks, and teased new short positions during Greenlight Capital Re's earnings call this week.
  • The reinsurer's chairman said the Tesla buying frenzy, partly driven by a stock split and hopes for its inclusion in the S&P 500, was "emblematic of the mania surrounding a small universe of story and other tech stocks."
  • "It is our view that we are now in the early stages of the bubble popping," the hedge-fund chief said. "As a result, we have shorted a basket of high-flying stocks and recent IPOs trading at excessive valuations."
  • Einhorn posted a 1.4% gain for Greenlight Capital Re's investment portfolio last quarter, compared to a 8.9% return for the S&P 500 benchmark index.

Top Bottom