Tesla Still Isn't Making Sense - GM Has Fighting Words For Tesla

NORTY

BAMF
Had a friend that wanted to ride his Suz GS1150 off the Oceanside pier. Bike never did run right. He shoulda kept his 550 Seca...

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Tesla could be the most dangerous stock on Wall Street, investment researcher says

Tesla shares may be up 400% this year, but one investment researcher is sounding the alarm on the stock.

New Constructs CEO David Trainer calls Tesla the most dangerous stock on Wall Street and says the fundamentals do not support such a high price and valuation.

No shit!

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Tesla shares crater more than 17% after S&P 500 snub

• Tesla shares were down Tuesday.
  • The S&P 500 Index Committee added Etsy, Teradyne and Catalent to the index on Friday, but stopped short of including Tesla.
  • Some investors had expected Tesla to be included this quarter, after it reported its fourth consecutive quarter of profitability in July.
Tesla shares were down more than 17.5% in afternoon trading. The stock has been on a tear this year, having risen around 400%, and the company is now worth more than some of the world’s largest automakers, including Toyota and Volkswagen.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Tesla shares crater more than 17% after S&P 500 snub

• Tesla shares were down Tuesday.
  • The S&P 500 Index Committee added Etsy, Teradyne and Catalent to the index on Friday, but stopped short of including Tesla.
  • Some investors had expected Tesla to be included this quarter, after it reported its fourth consecutive quarter of profitability in July.
Tesla shares were down more than 17.5% in afternoon trading. The stock has been on a tear this year, having risen around 400%, and the company is now worth more than some of the world’s largest automakers, including Toyota and Volkswagen.

Thanks gonad, Tesla is only up 380% now......I guess you were correct all along.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
The GM deal is great for GM, and it saves Nikola from it's self...maybe...Now that deal is out and people are really looking at it, NKLA has given most of that spike back. GM even had a little pull back. Milton tweeting 15 minutes before the market opening Tuesday drove that whole show (SEC should investigate this). The timing is highly suspect as TSLA was going to open with people knowing the S&P had not included them.

It looks to me that Milton was trying for as much damage to Tesla as possible. Tesla has since recovered a good chunk of that. I think Milton see's Tesla as the enemy, not just as competition. In contrast Herbert Diess (VW CEO) literally met Elon Musk this month(?) after Musks private jet landed and Diess let Musk drive VW's newest prototype EV (Diess was the passenger). Neither man afraid of the other. Diess directly asked Musk for his opinion which Musk and was very complimentary about it. Like they say, friends in high places...

Nikola GAVE 2 billion in stock to GM with another 700 million pledged to build a factory so that GM will sell the Badger back to Nikola at cost plus (a guaranteed profit). GM retains exclusive rights for their service centers to repair/maintain the Badger. The Badger is by all intents a GM product, not a Nikola product. The 2 billion is basically to get GM to play with them. I know nomad has questioned Mary Barra as a woman CEO for GM but holy shit did she kill the deal there.

As part of the deal GM can sell 1/3 of the stock swap every year for the next two, so free money there (Assuming the $41.93 per share price at the time of trade sticks, $37.06 as I write this). GM gets a seat on the BoD at Nikola. So complete transparency with the force of law on their side. The fact that GM now has someone on the inside of NKLA will be very revealing. GM will use their battery because Nikola's "Tesla killer" battery does not exist. Should Nikola produce said (vapor) battery, GM has exclusive rights to it. GM will design and manufacture the Badger. The only thing I saw in the deal that GM will use from Nikola is their entertainment system and some of the interior features like controls, maybe a cup holder and a few other widgets. Nothing thats ground breaking though. GM Battery, GM motors, GM Chassis, GM powertrain. Nikola sticker on the hood?

Nikola (Trevor Milton) has been telling its investors that it's building a factory. That they are 100% vertically integrated. They have a Battery that's lighter, cheaper, and more powerful then Tesla's. They're going to produce Hydrogen cheaper than anyone ever has, in history...and build (built?) a network of 700 fueling stations (by 2018?). Their website currently states (paraphrasing here but you can look it up) "with their fueling stations theres no need to worry about range", which considering the fact that they have no stations or trucks for that matter, probably pretty accurate. However when you read their website they talk about the stations like the are currently in operation.

Trevor's education is listed as Utah Valley University. Maybe if he had gone back for his second semester he would have learned what vertical integration means. The deal with GM is not vertical integration. The 700,000,000 which is pledged represents a significant amount of their cash on hand, which was reported at the end of the last quarter as 707,000,000. That doesn't leave a lot for their "factory" which they broke ground on....(that still didn't have a have a building permit last week?)

Its been leaked (rumor) that Nikola does not have anyone in their office working on battery development and that its been out sourced...again. All they really have is an office, with a killer gym. This is troubling as they halted their plan in acquiring ZapGo (alleged battery company) and even said about ZapGo "nothing more then interesting research with no ability to commercialize"...ironically describing Nikola to a "T"?

[Trevor] Milton said Iveco is gonna start building their Semi truck in Europe. This is an electric only vehilce and not the Hydrogen bomb promised. Also not vertical integration. The Nikola truck everyone saw driving down the road now apparently was coasting down a hill. Milton said it was "in motion" so technically true. But if I were an investor in NKLA, which I am not, I'd be pretty fucking mad right now......and my attorneys would know exactly how mad.

When people were hyping Tesla I watched from the side until they made a profit then I started to buy some. There are people that have much better vision then I do in these cases. If Nikola does turn this around I will watch until I don't.

Last edited:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
it's overly long and 50% of it is wrong. I just cant remember if its the first half or the second half, the middle or if the mistakes are bookending the main body as written.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Got about half way through that at which point there were so many issues that its basically a lost cause. Let the lawyers have at it.

if 10% that shit is true Trevor Milton is going to be in shit. I think its probably more like the entire report is going to just fry that guys ass. Every time I watched him talk I thought there was something not right with that guy.

I resisted calling it a Ponzi scheme in my previous post, but it sure looks like it has all the moving parts of one.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
the funniest part of that report is that Trevor Milton literally was a used car salesman

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
In a video showing off its “in-house” inverters, Nikola concealed the Cascadia label with a piece of masking tape.

Trevor has appointed his brother, Travis, as “Director of Hydrogen Production/Infrastructure” to oversee this critical part of the business. Travis’s prior experience looks to have largely consisted of pouring concrete driveways and doing subcontractor work on home renovations in Hawaii.
Oh my... this is going to be fun to watch

But why sign with Nikola at all? GM’s CEO was asked on the day of the announcement what technology GM would get out of the deal. She couldn’t name a single thing.

She was busy baking pies and suing over HR issues presumably

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
The reason they entered the deal is easy, "here's 2 billion in stock" and we'll commit another 700m to produce the truck. GM is totally in the black here which is evidently a first for Trevor as far as partnerships go. They didn't make an outlandish claim of getting anything because they didn't get anything. GM has a couple of strategic exits to pursue the least of which, Trevor Milton's failure to disclose key facts would put them in total control. GM may end up distancing its self if there is a high enough level of fraud and they feel the brand is compromised.

The Milton(s) might wanna check if Bernie Madoff has a room mate right about now.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
evidently Trevor Milton is no longer in the US...probably a planned trip

(unverified but I wouldn't be surprised if he visits a country with no extradition treaty with the US)

Last edited:
OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Based on data collected from our research, subtle differences in tone and emphasis significantly influenced people’s understanding of the technology and their expectations of its capability,” David Yang, executive director of the AAA Foundation, said in a statement. “These systems assist the driver and take some of the stress out of driving, but they don’t eliminate the need for drivers to pay attention.”

So whats the firkin point of the assistance? Seems no better than cruise control

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF

Musk torpedo'd it after the close. It was pretty over hyped
Hype, Tesla awe come on man, its just vision-of-the-future adjustment...

This Clip Of A Tesla Model 3 Failing An Automatic Emergency Brake Test Is Hilarious

I do realize that, of course, this is a serious thing. It’s bad news when cars run into people. I do get that, I promise. But I’m also not going to pretend that watching this Model 3 smack into that pedestro-bot and send its limbs flying around like a sneezed-out mouthful of un-chewed french fries isn’t hilarious, because it is, especially with the unexplained background music on this clip. Trust me, this will make the start of your week a bit better.

It’s worth noting that in the AAA tests, Tesla wasn’t the only carmaker to have some dramatically sub-stellar performance for automatic braking. None of the systems were even close to being 100 percent effective, so there were plenty of embarrassing photos and videos to go around, like this one of a Honda rapidly disassembling the walking test robot:

• Red
Reactions: Red

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Shocking. U.S. is in a solid 5th place in battery technology.

Dameon

BAMF+

None of the systems were even close to being 100 percent effective, so there were plenty of embarrassing photos and videos to go around, like this one of a Honda rapidly disassembling the walking test robot:
Fixed your title for you... :lol:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
At least it allowed some folks to jump onto TSLA for ~$400... if you were real quick. :lol:
It was a good idea for him to throw some cold water on the whole deal. The media chatter on it was crazy. As you know people buy on rumor and sell on news. So he wetted the rumor down. On May 1 he said TSLA was too expensive, people said it was the end for sure. And it did take 4 or 5 days before it was back at the same level.

Rumors were flying around, people were saying it was like the second coming of Christ almost. Thats gonna flop. He could have rolled out with a working UFO and the following day people would have been taking profit and there would have been a sell off. No, its better this way that he crushed it.

Mean while as previously mentioned the real star is Trevor Milton from Nikola. I laughed when I saw the one GM BoD member is now going to be the intern CEO.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
The video at the bottom of the Jalopnik article below the Tesla and Honda clips is pretty good. Shows how the test is supposed to work. Lots of euro cars getting it right...
I did enjoy the Mario Brothers coin chime when the ran the guy down.

Dameon

BAMF+
Shows how the test is supposed to work. Lots of euro cars getting it right...
Oddly enough, the Model S got a lot of slack some years ago for plowing through mannequins in a parking lot. It made me curious enough to grab my wife's dress form, put some pants on it and see what my car did. It was hit or miss. No pun intended. Sometimes it would recognize the "human", other times not. Same conditions, same lighting, same speeds. There have been MANY firmware updates since then. Likely would change behavior. I don't care enough anymore to repeat the tests myself.

Isn't "some" of the time better than "none" of the time (i.e. cars without the technology)? A better solution is to disable mobile devices when they detect movement above walking speeds.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
A better solution is to disable mobile devices when they detect movement above walking speeds.
I wish my cheap phone had an app on the front page I could activate as I got into a car or onto my bike. It would receive the incoming call and say "I'm driving, please leave me a message. Thanks.".

I hate taking calls when I'm engaged in driving in a busy environment. Or riding... :roll:

I slip my earbud harness on and plug into the phone only when I'm heading out onto the Interstate for 30 minutes or more. I almost welcome a call then to break the monotony. :lol:

Dameon

BAMF+
I wish my cheap phone had an app on the front page I could activate as I got into a car or onto my bike. It would receive the incoming call and say "I'm driving, please leave me a message. Thanks.".
You're in luck... this exists in many forms. AT&T customers get their app on your device whether you want it or not. Popular with parents who want to limit their kids from texting/talking while driving.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF

CANOO SKATECART

Canoo expects to launch its first vehicle, an electric van, in 2022 as a subscription service — not available to outright purchase like a traditional car. To show off the capability of their electric platform, Canoo stripped it down to the bare essentials and had driver Sara Price put it through its paces in the desert. The ultra-low floor and flat, wide-open design thanks to the packaging of the battery and electric motors mean that Canoo can drop nearly any kind of body on the chassis. And performance-wise, the chassis looks like it rips, according to Sara's exhibition. You can sign up for the waitlist now as Canoo moves closer to production.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
VOLKSWAGEN INTRODUCES ID 4 ELECTRIC SUV WITH 250 MILES OF RANGE AND A $40,000 PRICE TAG

The ID 4 is one of the many ways VW has had to atone for Dieselgate, the massive emissions cheating scandal made public five years ago. In addition to nearly $35 billion in settlement fees and fines, VW vowed to spend billions more on a whole new lineup of electric vehicles in the hopes of rescuing its damaged reputation. The automaker said it will sell 150,000 electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles by 2020 (hurry up, clock’s ticking!), and over a million battery-electric vehicles by 2025.

The ID 4 is priced to be a high-volume, mass-market vehicle — a car for “the millions, not the millionaires,”

Now thats real competition

Dameon

BAMF+
The ID 4 is priced to be a high-volume, mass-market vehicle — a car for “the millions, not the millionaires,” Now thats real competition
Kudos to VW for jumping in... albeit a few years late.

The ID4 is almost a direct competitor to the Model Y...

Slightly cheaper, but way down on range and charging infrastructure (for now).

rotts4u

BAMF
VOLKSWAGEN INTRODUCES ID 4 ELECTRIC SUV WITH 250 MILES OF RANGE AND A $40,000 PRICE TAG

The ID 4 is one of the many ways VW has had to atone for Dieselgate, the massive emissions cheating scandal made public five years ago. In addition to nearly $35 billion in settlement fees and fines, VW vowed to spend billions more on a whole new lineup of electric vehicles in the hopes of rescuing its damaged reputation. The automaker said it will sell 150,000 electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles by 2020 (hurry up, clock’s ticking!), and over a million battery-electric vehicles by 2025.

The ID 4 is priced to be a high-volume, mass-market vehicle — a car for “the millions, not the millionaires,”

Now thats real competition

Locally here in Chattanooga, VW has built a huge battery plant along side of their assembly plant for the VW Passat and the VW Atlas.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Kudos to VW for jumping in... albeit a few years late.
Slightly cheaper, but way down on range and charging infrastructure (for now).
Yes for now. But when (not if) they catch up, Elon will have a cash flow crisis and blow up, VW has decades of profitability to invest slowly in the Tech.
Elons strategy of lowing everything into dumb ideas like "self driving" and foregoing profitability is going to catch up withg him. Thats why Tesla STILL ISNT MAKING SENSE

Austin_F

BAMF+
JP Morgan has to pay 1 billion, but VW has to pay 35 billion, wtf? I get they lied to people about emissions but why the disparity in punishment?

Top Bottom