Tesla Still Isn't Making Sense - GM Has Fighting Words For Tesla

nomad

BAMF

Genius design?

The most valuable would be Toyota, which as of this writing has a market capitalization of $205 billion. One difference between the two companies is that Toyota’s net income for its fiscal year ending on March 31, 2020, was $19 billion, while the corresponding number for Tesla in that same period is negative $144 million.

How long can Tesla defy gravity?

Last edited:
OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
and when the music stops and the cashflow runs dry, that infrastrcture is worth cents on the dollar. Its a gamble in future demand. Nothing more.

luckystrike

Just Grip and Rip
Website
lemonparty.org
Everything is a gamble on future demand

Whether you're growing tomatoes to sell at a roadside fruit stand, or building Mars rockets

I've been trying to educate everyone here over and over, but the message doesn't seem to be getting through

The stock market is forward looking

The past and present is already baked into part of a stock price, the rest is what the market thinks is going to happen

Especially in tech, if you sit in on a quarterly earnings conference call, you'll note that future guidance as provided by management is just as if not more important than the revenue and earnings being reported

I never invest in companies that are making profits because the strategy shifts from growing earnings (which is rooted in innovation (Telsa)) to protecting profits (which then ingrains a conservative management style and the company becomes boring (Toyota))

Dameon

BAMF+
and when the music stops and the cashflow runs dry, that infrastrcture is worth cents on the dollar. Its a gamble in future demand. Nothing more.
You state worth like it has a given value independent of timing and demand. Not so. The infrastructure Tesla has built out has tremendous value and will only continue to get more valuable as "new" (to EV) vendors attempt to enter the market. One of Tesla's strongest selling points is that you could travel the entire US using only Tesla funded superchargers. No other vendor can make that claim... not even close. VW Group would LOVE to get their hands on that infrastructure.

I suspect someone will eventually license the use of Tesla's network. That is, if Tesla is willing to pimp out their infrastructure. Ford has a huge advantage as they'll likely stick a couple of charging spots at each dealership... that gives them several charging locations in damn near every po-dunk town in the US. Rivian, NIO, Nikola, etc. don't have that ability. Nissan squandered their opportunity. Not sure where Honda is on EV. Toyota is all in on hybrid. Kia has some potential EV growth extended from/to plug-in hybrid.

Just the beginning Nomad. Sit back and enjoy the ensuing battle for EV supremacy... an industry started/disrupted by Tesla.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
There is no doubt it is the begginging. But history is littered with the wreckage of innovators that died in a cash flow crunch to be bought by a flush opportunist. Tesla doesnt have many missteps between where its at and a crisis.
The blind devotion Tesla fans have to these products is possibly their most valuable asset IMO

luckystrike

Just Grip and Rip
Website
lemonparty.org
Blind devotion is the holy grail of any business model...whether it be iPhones, Ferraris or Louis Vuitton handbags

But in Tesla's case, it's not just about blind devotion

I think they provide genuine value that people crave

For me, there is something about the prospect of never having to go to another gas station for the rest of my life that very much appeals to me

Also, I'm very drawn by the potential that 'fueling' my car can be in my hands and my hands only depending how creative I get

I have one of those friends that just finished building a house (in Missouri of all places) that is 100% off the grid and across all his means of transportation and utilities (water, sewer, etc.)

He did it himself (he's an engineer) and his setup is a marvel to behold. It's where I want to get to before it's my time to check out of the fast lane

Dameon

BAMF+
Blind devotion is the holy grail of any business model...whether it be iPhones, Ferraris or Louis Vuitton handbags. But in Tesla's case, it's not just about blind devotion. I think they provide genuine value that people crave
What's this world coming too that I agree with LS so often? :lol:

Tesla has hit on the perfect balance of both. Throw in the performance seekers and you have the makings of a very successful car.

For me, there is something about the prospect of never having to go to another gas station for the rest of my life that very much appeals to me
I've said that many times. Gas stations are a flurry of frustrating events... card swipe not working, keypad not working, bums asking for money, gas on my hands and on my steering wheel, standing there like a putz waiting for it to fill. No thanks. 10 seconds to plug in when I get home and I'm done. Put the charger on a solar array and you get free "gas".

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Even The Booming Market For Batteries Is Down

Along with the rise of battery-electric vehicles like Teslas came a concurrent rise in lithium-ion battery sales, as producers across the globe rushed to meet the demand. But crashing electric vehicle sales because of the pandemic also hit the battery market, where, for the first time ever, demand is expected to fall this year.

one misstep and elon is in Chap 11 ... or 9

tinhead

Has never named a pet
I'm on the Starlink list. Connecticut is further north than most of the country, and my landline internet maxes out at 12 whatever the fuks. Only cable option is Charter, I pledged two decades ago to never voluntarily spend another penny on Charter.

A landline and 12DSL is fast approaching $90/month from Frontier. If starlink comes in under a Benjamin, the landline # becomes a VOIP, one less wire into the house.

Last edited:
OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Tesla will push back Battery Day event again, says Elon Musk

The “million-mile” battery will use little to no cobalt, which drives up the prices of electric vehicle batteries, and will feature chemical additives, materials, and coatings that will allow for more storage of energy over longer periods.

ya ya ya and the windows dont break and the car drives itself.... hype hype hype

BilletMan

BAMF+
nomad, what is your contribution to mankind? Is it coming here to post pages of other people's written work? What's it like to be you? Do you enjoy your life, or do you loathe everyone and everything around you? Do you do anything productive or creative?

Bandit Man

BAMF
I saw a Tesla truck on a trailer the other day. It was much smaller than the one they did the dog and pony show with. Either someone made a look a like or it could be the truck they will actually be building.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
TESLA seeks $3.5 billion in new financing

KEY POINTS
  • TESLA said on Sunday it plans to secure $3.5 billion in new financing, to improve the airline’s liquidity as it grapples with travel restrictions caused by the coronavirus.
  • The company plans to raise $1.5 billion by selling shares and convertible senior notes due 2025, the airline said in a statement.
  • Additionally, the airline said it will offer $1.5 billion in senior secured notes and that it intends to enter into a new $500 million term loan facility due 2024.
Coming to an EV company near you soon...

Dameon

BAMF+
I'm on the Starlink list.
So am I. I stipulated in my request for a beta position that I currently have NO options for Internet access short of cellular and satellite... no DSL, no cable, no fiber. I also stipulated I am a Tesla vehicle owner and TSLA investor. Anything to help my application. :lol:

Rocco

BAM
TESLA said on Sunday it plans to secure $3.5 billion in new financing, to improve the airline’s liquidity as it grapples with travel restrictions caused by the coronavirus.
Since when is Tesla an airline?

Link to your source data?

It's American Airlines that is after the 3.5 billion

tinhead

Has never named a pet
From what I've seen, none of this means much.
So am I. I stipulated in my request for a beta position that I currently have NO options for Internet access short of cellular and satellite... no DSL, no cable, no fiber. I also stipulated I am a Tesla vehicle owner and TSLA investor. Anything to help my application. :lol:
You're around latitude 30.22N. I'm at latitude 41.88N, so I'll get it before you. :Buelldozer:

As well as test in a motorhome application.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Since when is Tesla an airline?
Obviously this is not TESLA.... yet!

My point is that large investment in "infrastructure" is NOT a substitute for cash flow and profit.

The most valuable would be Toyota, which as of this writing has a market capitalization of $205 billion. One difference between the two companies is that Toyota’s net income for its fiscal year ending on March 31, 2020, was $19 billion, while the corresponding number for Tesla in that same period is negative $144 million.
American Airlines is the mother of infrastructure - all currently parked on desert runways in California... so what. They are DEAD in the water.
TESLA cannot walk on water. It will sink if there is the smallest hiccup.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
I'm on the Starlink list. Connecticut is further north than most of the country, and my landline internet maxes out at 12 whatever the fuks. Only cable option is Charter, I pledged two decades ago to never voluntarily spend another penny on Charter.

A landline and 12DSL is fast approaching $90/month from Frontier. If starlink comes in under a Benjamin, the landline # becomes a VOIP, one less wire into the house.
it's only money...

keep your landline and harvest the 12 volts they supply...

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
in 2017 electric cars represented 1.3% of cars on the road. 2.1% in 18, 2.5% in 19. While those numbers are not impressive, it has to be said that there's a potential for growth there. Also, as said many......many.....many times, Tesla is a company that makes cars, it is not a car company. It's a tech company. There are more than a few people out there saying that the power supply side of Tesla will dwarf the auto section.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Well since the raw materials and labor are a fraction of the cost in China, that does NOT respect US patents, I think we can safely assume that all Tesla has in that regard is "market lead time". When (not if) those numbers start to make chart like CV cases, you will see Tesla loosing that market rapidly

IMHO, all Tesla is doing is breaking new ground at the expense of profitability that the Chinese will use to put them out of business. Its visionary, which I applaud, but its business suicide and when the herd realizes this, and the cash flow crunch arrives, watch out below. In the meantime, enjoy the ride up, but dont forget to place a stop loss with that buy order

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
A biotech investor reportedly made $255 million in just 4 weeks on Novavax's 120% surge (NVAX)

For you guys that like to play market sentiment... this is where you need to be...

It's steadily gained since then as investors look to capitalize on hopes that a vaccine working car will soon come

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Tesla's 'Battery Day' event is scheduled for September 22nd

no wait..... ok yes.... then again maybe no....

Tesla’s long-delayed battery event has a new date, according to a new SEC filing spotted by Electrek. The automaker’s “Battery Day” presentation is now scheduled to happen on September 22nd after its annual stockholders meeting that will take place at 2:30PM PT on the same day. Both events will be held at Tesla’s Fremont factory in California and will be streamed live online.
The project reportedly aims to produce cheaper battery cells on a massive scale

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn...

and what they WONT BE SAYIN is how they are going to get more rare metals from China \

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
Tesla registrations in California plunged in the second quarter

Tesla’s vehicle registrations tanked almost 48% in California in the second quarter, Reuters reported, citing data from Cross-Sell, a marketing research firm that collates title and registration data.

this is why Elon wants to keep the doors open. He obviously understands that a cash flow hiccup can put Tesla into chapter 11

Vegas12

BAMF+
Tesla registrations in California plunged in the second quarter

Tesla’s vehicle registrations tanked almost 48% in California in the second quarter, Reuters reported, citing data from Cross-Sell, a marketing research firm that collates title and registration data.

this is why Elon wants to keep the doors open. He obviously understands that a cash flow hiccup can put Tesla into chapter 11

Screenshot_20200716-101252_Google.jpg

tinhead

Has never named a pet
What about FORD registrations in California in teh second quarter 2020?
FORD is so poorly run and hugely in debt that they will be the next auto company to go bankrupt be forced to merge with a Chinese automaker.

OP
nomad

nomad

BAMF
What about a vehicle fire and you lose power?
ITs a concept. It would never get type approval because of that. but... theres big money behind these concepts, money from companies that make a huge profit every month!

Meanwhile, Nikola — an electric vehicle start-up vying to take on Tesla — revealed on Tuesday that General Motors had agreed to take an 11% stake in the firm. As part of the deal, GM will produce Nikola’s hydrogen fuel cell electric pickup truck, the Badger, by the end of 2022. Shares of Nikola jumped about 29% in premarket trading while GM jumped 6%.

Last edited:
Top Bottom