Tell me why I should or why I shouldn't buy this?

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag to you
My neighbor is an old motocross rider and in his mid 50's he's still riding and racing. He has a 2011 YZ 250 two stroke that he prefers over this KTM.

He bought the KTM brand new and his has 32 hours on it. IT's a 2015 450 SFX. As you can see it's in immaculate shape as are the other 3 bikes in his garage.

None of his bikes have a spec of dirt on them. Anyways he want's $5500 for the bike and from what I can see it's a good bike with a know history of someone who is a maintenance fanatic.

Thoughts?

4EE83C38-C879-41CE-998F-519C98E12531.jpeg

60FF2078-9C37-4677-8A32-A508E1B9564F.jpeg

I would check the price of other KTM's of the same year and base your buying on that plus how EZ to get parts is no problem, using the internet is as fast as going down to your local dealer, I use the internet all the time to buy parts and you can always contact Bombay for parts or he might know someone who does have the parts.

Main reason for buying, do I need it, will I ride it more than my other bikes, is it fun.

Ask to take it for a short ride to see if you like the feel and power,

good luck on your decision, if you do get it ride it like you stole it

OP
Stites

Stites

450RFS engine. That bike will be a hoot to ride. Fast as fuck. They are solid. Number one selling dirt bikes in the US. First to debut easy access to air filters, and easily removable seats and KTMs are consistently lightest in class

Our valves an issue?

Mama and I talked and she's on board..........I am on the fence because I think I might be better served on a new 2018, 2019 or 2020 YZ250X Two Stroke.

I jumped the gun on the Kawi and have already had to pay.

OP
Stites

Stites

It's five or six years old with only 32 hours on it. That's how much the current owner didn't like it, and he bought it brand new.

That's all I got.

Crossed my mind my friend......he also has a 2011 YZ250 that he prefers .

It's probably too much like the Kawasaki to justify getting it. Unless you sold the Kaw.

I can't believe it has 32 hours on it. He must be real gentle with it.

OP
Stites

Stites

It's probably too much like the Kawasaki to justify getting it. Unless you sold the Kaw.

I can't believe it has 32 hours on it. He must be real gentle with it.
I still have the Kaw, but would sell it if I bought this.

He's in his 50's and used to race MX back in the day. He's a Marine Vet and a super good dude who just loves his bikes, more than anyone I have known. Loves to talk bikes, has a mint TTR-125 that was/is his daughters and she comes up from SD from time to time and rides with him. He doesn't race much anymore but loves to go do practice sessions.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
How many months did it sit in the dealer waiting on repairs during its life?

Every time I swing by the KTM dealer many bikes are just sitting waiting on parts to be shipped

OP
Stites

Stites

How many months did it sit in the dealer waiting on repairs during its life?

Every time I swing by the KTM dealer many bikes are just sitting waiting on parts to be shipped
I don't think it's ever seen a dealership, this guy has one wall of his shop is all tool boxes. He truly loves to work on anything mechanical. I am not sure but I believe he works on trains.

Clean shop and I have seen him cleaning the bikes he doesn't ride at least three times in the last 60 days I have lived there.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Valves are no bigger an issue on these than on any other four stroke. I have never had an issue getting parts for any of the four KTMs I have had. There is a good reason they are the most common dirt bike sold now. If I had the money I would grab it from ya. I drank the koolaid.

Stetson

BAMF
I don't think it's ever seen a dealership, this guy has one wall of his shop is all tool boxes. He truly loves to work on anything mechanical. I am not sure but I believe he works on trains.
I looked at a late 80's/early 90's V max on Craigslist once. The pics were taken in a hangar, with an airplane in the background, tool boxes, etc. I figured, "Well, if the guy has an airplane, he probably takes care of his shit."

The bike had been painted with a brush and house paint, and the clutch slipped so bad I thought I'd have to walk home from the test ride. :frown2:

I knew the second I laid eyes on it, I wasn't interested any more, but I still wanted to ride it..... :D

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Don't have much to offer except the obvious stuff: two vs. four stroke. What's your typical trail type. And $5500 seems high, but I haven't priced modern off road bikes. Maybe that's the going rate.

OP
Stites

Stites

I might test ride the fucking thing tonight, I might sell my YZ, CR and KX, I might go and buy a new YZ.........I am definitely going home, drinking a crown and coke and jamming out to some Metallica

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Have you had any real issues from yours Paul?

No.. not a one besides that front rim when it was new.

In fact the dealer I bought it from had a factory KTM tech teaching the entire new staff of machines.. he went over the entire bike and said this bike is in excelent tune. He rode it and then had me sit on it and he readjusted the front and rear suspension...

The service department does have three times the number of Ducati and KTM bikes sitting in the service holding area (60 to 70 bikes) then say the average jap dealer. Not sure why though.

Maybe that is why everyone from the service manager, service writer,and four of the five mechanics where fired.

BilletMan

BAMF+
My first choice if I was going to buy a bike tomorrow: Yamaha YZ-250X.....that's one fine motherfucker right there!! Best suspension, fantastic engine! You know why they haven't changed their design in years? Yep, they're at the top!

OP
Stites

Stites

My first choice if I was going to buy a bike tomorrow: Yamaha YZ-250X.....that's one fine motherfucker right there!! Best suspension, fantastic engine! You know why they haven't changed their design in years? Yep, they're at the top!
Funny you say that as I drink my crown royal I am watching 250X videos

BilletMan

BAMF+
Watching videos? Fuck that, go visit your garage! And you oughta just rebuild your current YZ...let the daughter be an integral part of the process....your old one is SOOO fucking the-same as a new one...the improvements are so few...do a quality rebuild of the old bike!

OP
Stites

Stites

There is some definite changes to the trans on the X versus the YZ. Also the wider rear tire along with the tune......many things I have read is yes, same chassis as the 06 but mine is a steel frame. The forks are significantly better and why spend $2-3k to restore that bike when I can just buy one.

BilletMan

BAMF+
I think you're splitting hairs...I wonder if you could tell the difference riding them....I don't think a rebuild is 2-3 grand at all....I'd probably toss a new crank in it, inspect bore and everything else, paint it, do whatever...I'm thinking $1500 could build a super nice bike....whatever, it's all good...
There is some definite changes to the trans on the X versus the YZ. Also the wider rear tire along with the tune......many things I have read is yes, same chassis as the 06 but mine is a steel frame. The forks are significantly better and why spend $2-3k to restore that bike when I can just buy one.

OP
Stites

Stites

I think you're splitting hairs...I wonder if you could tell the difference riding them....I don't think a rebuild is 2-3 grand at all....I'd probably toss a new crank in it, inspect bore and everything else, paint it, do whatever...I'm thinking $1500 could build a super nice bike....whatever, it's all good...

Engine $600-800, forks need rebuilt $750, front wheel needs replaced......all bearings in wheels and swing arm. I have that at over $2k total and I know I will find more....

BilletMan

BAMF+
$750 for forks?? I do my own suspension stuff, no biggie....lace up a fresh rim, no biggie....maybe wheel bearings and swing arm...take apart and carefully inspect....ain't like the stuff moves fast or moves much...it's fun to refurb a bike...either way, have fun!

Top Bottom