Talk to me about Sea Doos

Stetson

BAMF+
2012 SeaDoo 150 Speedster, specifically. A friend of my Dad has one with 64 hours on it. Hasn't been in salt water. 255hp supercharged version. I don't really know anything about these. My kids are into tubing and it appears to be a fun looking boat. Anyone have horror stories, or good ones?

Vegas12

BAMF+
If its supper-charged then I guess it's not a 2 smoke. That's me out.
No such thing any longer....I owned the last "legal" two stroke.....it was injected, I seem to recall it was a MY 2000.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
If it’s cheap buy it,
I don’t care for them, coming from Jet Skier guy. I wish I could tell you specifically why but I can’t…they stopped making them 10 years ago or so, for a reason.

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
I want one. but i have no intention of learning to drive it. but i want one for someone to ride me and my Pomeranians around. Id hit that shit. in the morning for about an hour. i wouldnt be out all day in it. or any boat. not willing to trade my naptime.

OP

Stetson

BAMF+
The guy hasn't got it "un-winterized" or out of the garage it's been stored in yet. I told him I need to see it running, or better yet, in the water, before we go much further in the buying process. He had to do something to that giant camper on the right in the picture, before he could back it out of the garage to get at the boat.

It's not a big rush. He hasn't advertised the Sea Doo yet, and there's currently other boats available in the family. Took the kids out yesterday after work, but this old Whaler isn't the best tubing weapon.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
you are correct :cool: cept they made about 16 million square bodies.

the jet boats are very rough ( hard on your back) on the driver and passengers if its not calm, loud is an understatement, maneuverability in tight quarters can be a chore, as soon as you are in the shallows, shut it off, seaweed, sand, rope and rocks will ruin your day.

I'd buy it for the right price, that way you can sell it without taking a hit :lol:

that being said, if you get it, let me know...I'll come up and enjoy it with ya

we pulled the kids for hours and hours over the years with a prop boat, i preferred pulling them back over our own wake and watching em fly...untill a few loose teeth somehow happened :neutral:

They stopped making square body Chevy trucks 33 years ago for some reason, too. Doesn't mean they're no good.... :ducmanic:

Clydeglide

BAMF
I recently traded my 18 ft Sea Doo so I don’t know what carries over to the 15 ft.

My 18 had a 20 degree V hull which gave it one of the best rides of most boats up to about 22 ft. It handled great and ran well.

There are a couple of quirky things about this boat. When started it wants to go forward which is stated in the owners manual. I trailered mine so I would untie the boat, push the start button with my left hand and pull it out of neutral and into reverse when it started as that’s how I had to go anyway.

Also there should be about an inch of play in either direction of the steering wheel when centered. That’s all the steering you need when in reverse. When backing in a straight line, do not exceed those limits or the boat will spin.

Nothing wrong with all this that practice won’t cure.

If you’re interested in this boat test drive it. Should be no cavitation on acceleration. You can check the impeller and wear ring by looking in the intake grate with a flashlight.

Have carbon wear ring checked. If it leaks you sink.

I replaced it with an rxtx 300 ski. And ugly rumor says sea doo is going to introduce boats again.

OP

Stetson

BAMF+
I replaced it with an rxtx 300 ski.
Thanks for the info. :up:
Because of one of what I feel is one of Maine's most unconstitutional laws, "personal watercraft" are banned from most every body of water near me, except the ocean. Maine lets each town decide whether or not legally licensed PWCs can use any inland body of water. It's some bullshit, and it's also been up to the Maine supreme court, but it's still in effect. When the law came out, it was compared to each town banning legally licensed motorcycles from the city limits, but not enough people gave a shit, so there's hardly any PWCs around my area.

This boat I'm looking at wont be for salt water, just ponds and lakes. I've got this for salt water, but it's not really a fun family boat. Probably going to get rid of it. Life has changed, don't use it anywhere near as much as I used to.

59 degrees today, Independence Day weekend. :frown2: Mowing my lawn before it rains. This sucks! :2guns::2guns:

me and my Pomeranians. Id hit that shit.
I've had a series of German Shepard dogs for 30+ years, and now I have Mitzi. (Technically my daughter's :biggrin:) Her 4.5 pounds melts my frozen heart. :up:

shotlady

With a Damn Nice Rack
yes, pommies have a way, dont they? she's beautiful. I love having a pommie. gives me something to be sweet to, nuture and take care of. I'm wrapped a round smoochies little fingers.

OP

Stetson

BAMF+
only thing worse than used boats with outboards....are used boats with jet drives!
Reading through this thread again reminded me that over the years I've had two outboards stolen off different boats. Three if you count the little 3.5 horse one I loaned to a former buddy, and gradually never heard from again, but that was a cheap enough lesson to learn, in the grand scheme of things.

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
Thanks for the info. :up:
Because of one of what I feel is one of Maine's most unconstitutional laws, "personal watercraft" are banned from most every body of water near me, except the ocean. Maine lets each town decide whether or not legally licensed PWCs can use any inland body of water. It's some bullshit, and it's also been up to the Maine supreme court, but it's still in effect. When the law came out, it was compared to each town banning legally licensed motorcycles from the city limits, but not enough people gave a shit, so there's hardly any PWCs around my area.

This boat I'm looking at wont be for salt water, just ponds and lakes. I've got this for salt water, but it's not really a fun family boat. Probably going to get rid of it. Life has changed, don't use it anywhere near as much as I used to.

59 degrees today, Independence Day weekend. :frown2: Mowing my lawn before it rains. This sucks! :2guns::2guns:

I've had a series of German Shepard dogs for 30+ years, and now I have Mitzi. (Technically my daughter's :biggrin:) Her 4.5 pounds melts my frozen heart. :up:

Never heard of that law here.
I drive by numerous biggish lakes on my way to Home Depot and there s a good number of motor boats on them every time

OP

Stetson

BAMF+
Never heard of that law here.
I drive by numerous biggish lakes on my way to Home Depot and there s a good number of motor boats on them every time
Not motor boats, PWC (Personal water craft = jet skis and "boats" you straddle, essentially.) If you see those, the municipality has decided not to ban them. Kind of like how each town can decide if fireworks are legal or not. It's bullshit. And only applies to inland water, the ocean's fair game for anything.

I just checked, and the banned list isn't as long as I thought it was.

4. Operating personal watercraft in prohibited area. The following provisions apply to operating a watercraft in prohibited areas.
A. A person may not operate a personal watercraft on:
(1) Mud Pond, Oversett Pond, South Pond, Round Pond, Twitchell Pond, Hicks Pond, Indian Pond or Furlong Pond in the Town of Greenwood in Oxford County;
(2) North Pond or Bryant Pond, also known as Christopher Lake, in the Town of Greenwood and the Town of Woodstock in Oxford County;
(3) Concord Pond, Little Concord Pond or Shagg Pond in the Town of Woodstock in Oxford County;
(4) Hamilton Pond in Bar Harbor in Hancock County;
(5) Bog Lake or Horseshoe Lake in the Town of Northfield in Washington County;
(6) Megunticook Lake in the Town of Camden and the Town of Hope in Knox County and the Town of Lincolnville in Waldo County;
(7) Hobbs Pond, Fish Pond or Alford Lake in the Town of Hope in Knox County;
(8) Norton Pond or Coleman Pond in the Town of Lincolnville in Waldo County;
(9) Pitcher Pond in the Town of Lincolnville and the Town of Northport in Waldo County;
(10) Torsey Lake in the Town of Mount Vernon and the Town of Readfield in Kennebec County;
(11) Trickey Pond in the Town of Naples in Cumberland County;
(12) Brandy Pond in the Town of Naples in Cumberland County between sunset and 9:00 a.m.;
(13) Fulton Lake in the Town of Northfield in Washington County;
(14) Knight Pond in the Town of Northport in Waldo County;
(15) Moose Pond or Saturday Pond in the Town of Otisfield in Oxford County;
(16) Tripp Pond, Upper Range Pond or Middle Range Pond in the Town of Poland in Androscoggin County;
(17) Keewaydin Lake, Virginia Lake, Trout Pond, Weymouth Pond or Whitney Pond in the Town of Stoneham in Oxford County;
(18) Lermond Pond in the Town of Union and the Town of Hope in Knox County;
(19) Pocasset Lake or Pickerel Pond in the Town of Wayne in Kennebec County;
(20) Androscoggin Lake in the Town of Wayne in Kennebec County and the Town of Leeds in Androscoggin County;
(21) Little Cobbosseecontee Lake in the Town of Winthrop in Kennebec County;
(22) Somes Pond in the Town of Mount Desert;
(23) Long Pond in the Town of Mount Desert and the Town of Southwest Harbor;
(24) Little Long Pond in the Town of Mount Desert;
(25) Meetinghouse Pond, Big Pond, Wat Tuh Lake, Center Pond and Silver Lake, also known as Silver Pond, in the Town of Phippsburg in Sagadahoc County;
(26) South Branch Lake in the Plantation of Seboeis and the Township of T2 R8 NWP in Penobscot County;
(27) Spring Lake in Spring Lake Township in Somerset County;
(28) Kennebago Lake and Kennebago River in Davis Township and Stetsontown Township in Franklin County;
(29) Nicatous Lake in the Townships of T40 MD, T41 MD and T3 ND in Hancock County;
(30) Crystal Lake in the Town of Washington in Knox County;
(31) Middle Branch Pond in the Town of Waterboro in York County;
(32) Highland Lake or Woods Pond in the Town of Bridgton in Cumberland County if the personal watercraft is rented and does not display a decal identifying the rental agency that owns the personal watercraft; or
(33) Lake St. George in the Town of Liberty. [PL 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §384 (NEW); PL 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §422 (AFF).]

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
Not motor boats, PWC (Personal water craft = jet skis and "boats" you straddle, essentially.) If you see those, the municipality has decided not to ban them. Kind of like how each town can decide if fireworks are legal or not. It's bullshit. And only applies to inland water, the ocean's fair game for anything.

I just checked, and the banned list isn't as long as I thought it was.

4. Operating personal watercraft in prohibited area. The following provisions apply to operating a watercraft in prohibited areas.
A. A person may not operate a personal watercraft on:
(1) Mud Pond, Oversett Pond, South Pond, Round Pond, Twitchell Pond, Hicks Pond, Indian Pond or Furlong Pond in the Town of Greenwood in Oxford County;
(2) North Pond or Bryant Pond, also known as Christopher Lake, in the Town of Greenwood and the Town of Woodstock in Oxford County;
(3) Concord Pond, Little Concord Pond or Shagg Pond in the Town of Woodstock in Oxford County;
(4) Hamilton Pond in Bar Harbor in Hancock County;
(5) Bog Lake or Horseshoe Lake in the Town of Northfield in Washington County;
(6) Megunticook Lake in the Town of Camden and the Town of Hope in Knox County and the Town of Lincolnville in Waldo County;
(7) Hobbs Pond, Fish Pond or Alford Lake in the Town of Hope in Knox County;
(8) Norton Pond or Coleman Pond in the Town of Lincolnville in Waldo County;
(9) Pitcher Pond in the Town of Lincolnville and the Town of Northport in Waldo County;
(10) Torsey Lake in the Town of Mount Vernon and the Town of Readfield in Kennebec County;
(11) Trickey Pond in the Town of Naples in Cumberland County;
(12) Brandy Pond in the Town of Naples in Cumberland County between sunset and 9:00 a.m.;
(13) Fulton Lake in the Town of Northfield in Washington County;
(14) Knight Pond in the Town of Northport in Waldo County;
(15) Moose Pond or Saturday Pond in the Town of Otisfield in Oxford County;
(16) Tripp Pond, Upper Range Pond or Middle Range Pond in the Town of Poland in Androscoggin County;
(17) Keewaydin Lake, Virginia Lake, Trout Pond, Weymouth Pond or Whitney Pond in the Town of Stoneham in Oxford County;
(18) Lermond Pond in the Town of Union and the Town of Hope in Knox County;
(19) Pocasset Lake or Pickerel Pond in the Town of Wayne in Kennebec County;
(20) Androscoggin Lake in the Town of Wayne in Kennebec County and the Town of Leeds in Androscoggin County;
(21) Little Cobbosseecontee Lake in the Town of Winthrop in Kennebec County;
(22) Somes Pond in the Town of Mount Desert;
(23) Long Pond in the Town of Mount Desert and the Town of Southwest Harbor;
(24) Little Long Pond in the Town of Mount Desert;
(25) Meetinghouse Pond, Big Pond, Wat Tuh Lake, Center Pond and Silver Lake, also known as Silver Pond, in the Town of Phippsburg in Sagadahoc County;
(26) South Branch Lake in the Plantation of Seboeis and the Township of T2 R8 NWP in Penobscot County;
(27) Spring Lake in Spring Lake Township in Somerset County;
(28) Kennebago Lake and Kennebago River in Davis Township and Stetsontown Township in Franklin County;
(29) Nicatous Lake in the Townships of T40 MD, T41 MD and T3 ND in Hancock County;
(30) Crystal Lake in the Town of Washington in Knox County;
(31) Middle Branch Pond in the Town of Waterboro in York County;
(32) Highland Lake or Woods Pond in the Town of Bridgton in Cumberland County if the personal watercraft is rented and does not display a decal identifying the rental agency that owns the personal watercraft; or
(33) Lake St. George in the Town of Liberty. [PL 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §384 (NEW); PL 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §422 (AFF).]

But you can use them in the rest of the 6000 Maine, ponds and lakes and of course inlets and ocean waters.
The inlets where i am go for miles and miles of smooth non rough waters. Zero waves. I could see topping out one of them waverunners on a regular given the "terrain"

With the right suit to stay dry and warm up there when it got colder, would be a helluva ride, all the flagship 1500cc 300hp boats are 70mph stock and more when fully derestricted.
Riva yamaha down in pompano sells them in stage kits from mild to wild, all installed by them prior to delivery with full factory warranty intact.

Reactions: WP

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Had a buddy who had one similar..

Look up how many hours the supercharger goes between rebuilds.. i think 100 or 200 hours.. and it costs a hefty sum to rebuild the blower.. and even BIGGER sum if you don't rebuild it.

Top Bottom