Talk me out of this truck

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
I bought a dial indicator to set the ring gear backlash.
And an inch lbs torque wrench to set the pinion gear preload.

On the Dana 44 IFS, the carrier bearing preload is a PITA. You have to remove the bearings to insert/remove shims. So I bought a couple of setup bearings that I can grind out some of the inner race so the bearing easily goes on/can be removed.

I haven't done any of this before but I've been researching quite a bit.
You're going to need a bit more than that. First, you will need to observe the gear mesh contact area to determine if it is correct. It can be incorrect even if the backlash is correct. This is done with Prussian blue or equivalent so that the contact pattern is visible.
Second, using bearings other than what will be used on the road will not work, as all bearings are slightly different due to manufacturing tolerances.
If this is not done correctly, at the very least you will have gear whine. At the worst, you could destroy bearings or gears rather quickly.
Bottom line is this is not something for a beginner.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
You're going to need a bit more than that. First, you will need to observe the gear mesh contact area to determine if it is correct. It can be incorrect even if the backlash is correct. This is done with Prussian blue or equivalent so that the contact pattern is visible.
Second, using bearings other than what will be used on the road will not work, as all bearings are slightly different due to manufacturing tolerances.
If this is not done correctly, at the very least you will have gear whine. At the worst, you could destroy bearings or gears rather quickly.
Bottom line is this is not something for a beginner.
Well, it's the front end so it's going to be active for maybe 100 miles vs 200K miles for the rest of the truck.

The setup bearings are Timken and are the same exact part number that came with the bearing install kit, which has the same bearings as OEM.
I already verified part numbers and even made measurments with my digital calipers.
So even if this were a rear end, I'm not going to have to worry about manufacturing tolerances from one bearing that was mfg'd on a Wednesday vs the other bearing that was mfg'd on a Friday. This is not the 1960's. Manufacturing is a lot better these days.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Well, it's the front end so it's going to be active for maybe 100 miles vs 200K miles for the rest of the truck.

The setup bearings are Timken and are the same exact part number that came with the bearing install kit, which has the same bearings as OEM.
I already verified part numbers and even made measurments with my digital calipers.
So even if this were a rear end, I'm not going to have to worry about manufacturing tolerances from one bearing that was mfg'd on a Wednesday vs the other bearing that was mfg'd on a Friday. This is not the 1960's. Manufacturing is a lot better these days.
Good luck!

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Real nice, hard to find round eye for a fair price, never lose a cent if you should ever sell it.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
We had s game of skill, break a hand held stubby on a guard rail reflector, out of the passenger side window. 80 mph.

Steady on the wheel, dont flinch!
One of my favorite old road games was throwing an orange, left handed, out the drivers window at 60 mph+, as straight down the center line as possible, watching it accelerate away, swell and explode.
Of course back then there wasn't as much traffic and it was a condition to not hit anyone because, that would have been tacky to do so.
Not easy being right handed but, always amusing.

The board cuntrarian asks the collective here to talk him out of buying that truck. The board makes a pretty good case, as expected. Then we're shocked that he does the opposite ? The-board-cuntrarian ?

My guess is that this was all a set up. He knew how everyone would react. He bought the truck weeks ago. Pics probably taken in his driveway (with Honda Element moved down the street). :biggrin1a:

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
The board cuntrarian asks the collective here to talk him out of buying that truck. The board makes a pretty good case, as expected. Then we're shocked that he does the opposite ? The-board-cuntrarian ?

My guess is that this was all a set up. He knew how everyone would react. He bought the truck weeks ago. Pics probably taken in his driveway (with Honda Element moved down the street). :biggrin1a:
Dare I say..........Savage!

🤣

Wretch

amazingly graceful

What he doesn't know is that we really wanted him to buy this truck but, didn't want him to know that so,
we used the old Bugs Bunny reverse psychology trick so that he would buy the truck and suffer greatly from all the real issues that we never mentioned.

In summary: He really did what we wanted him to do.

Ha!

Team222

BAMF
The occasional 13lb bowling ball stolen from The Eastgate Plaza’s (Denny’s Den) would somehow find its way rolling down Quayle ave., into oncoming traffic. They could get five or so feet up in the air if they hit the curb just right at the bottom of the hill.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
The occasional 13lb bowling ball stolen from The Eastgate Plaza’s (Denny’s Den) would somehow find its way rolling down Quayle ave., into oncoming traffic. They could get five or so feet up in the air if they hit the curb just right at the bottom of the hill.
haha... we got ahold of some cracked balls the local bowling alley was tossing. One just happened to smash a cars windshield. Whoops.

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
A good driver/passenger team can do wonders with a nice stray shopping cart hitting curbs............😀

OP
Anal Disco
My face as I read this rollercoaster of a post:

What he doesn't know is that we really wanted him to buy this truck
😊

but, didn't want him to know that so
😯

we used the old Bugs Bunny reverse psychology trick so that he would buy the truck
☺

and suffer greatly from all the real issues that we never mentioned.
😲 --> 😤

In summary: He really did what we wanted him to do.
😱

🤔

jhinderliter

BAMF+

I was thinking , maybee leverage the $7500 plus the $x,xxx.xx he is going to have to spend to make that garbage driveable into Something else..

like maybee put himself into a position where he doesn’t have to have a roommate with a Honda Element..

OP
Anal Disco
I was thinking , maybee leverage the $7500 plus the $x,xxx.xx he is going to have to spend to make that garbage driveable into Something else..

like maybee put himself into a position where he doesn’t have to have a roommate with a Honda Element..
Your continued interest in my roommate has not gone unnoticed.

He's been asking about you.

Okay if I forward your number to him?

OP
Anal Disco
TD;LR Poor decisions lead to roommate lifestyle. :biggrin1a:
The opposite actually - having roommates let's me afford bad decisions. :lol:

apologies my man ...

the concept of grown men having room mates is foreign to me...

ive done It in my adult life , but It was in far away places with fences around them and housing was limited ...
My roommates are friends, we hang out, drink beer, party, it's a blast. I got the rest of my adult life to live by myself. Saves me money, I bought a duplex in January and closing on another property this month, it's all good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom