Talk me out of this truck

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
How many successful vehicle build threads on labs so far? They always start well! :biggrin1a:
A good friend of mine who lives 2 miles down the road has started 3 racecar builds and 2 bike builds in the last 5/6 years. ALL of them have left on a trailer with untold hours and $$$$ in them, along with a ton of parts most of which are new, for pennies on the dollar. I would be sick!!!

roadczar

BAMF
Snail's turbo truck has had 2 successful build threads so far. Might be a 3rd one soon if he keeps stomping the juice pedal like it was a baby seal.
I remember:

Got the Chevy, super chsrgrd it and blew it up. Bought another engine and waitng to get it back from the shop.

roadczar

BAMF
A good friend of mine who lives 2 miles down the road has started 3 racecar builds and 2 bike builds in the last 5/6 years. ALL of them have left on a trailer with untold hours and $$$$ in them, along with a ton of parts most of which are new, for pennies on the dollar. I would be sick!!!
That is how most of these end up. Luckily I learned it the hard way prior turning 21.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
Gee-off,

Aren't you the slightest bit concerned that ownership of that truck will result in you beginning to crave pussy and shunning your historical trend of glorious, hydraulic tokes on the largest and most rigid of black schlong in the back of a Honda Element?

Full disclosure, I am in favor of you choosing heterosexuality. I just want to look after your emotional health if you choose to undertake this transition.

OP
Anal Disco
Gee-off,

Aren't you the slightest bit concerned that ownership of that truck will result in you beginning to crave pussy and shunning your historical trend of glorious, hydraulic tokes on the largest and most rigid of black schlong in the back of a Honda Element?

Full disclosure, I am in favor of you choosing heterosexuality. I just want to look after your emotional health if you choose to undertake this transition.
Shut it whore I'll run your Toyo over like a Pittsburgh pothole and no Foxxx Shoxxx is going to save you then.

Ninjaman12R

That is how most of these end up. Luckily I learned it the hard way prior turning 21.
I think we've all been there to some degree. My buddy, who is highly capable, just keeps too many irons in the fire. The last car he sold was SO close to being done it shocked me that he sold it. He just burned himself out. Bought a low mile LX fox body in super nice shape for cheap off an old man. His intentions were to put a for sale sign on it, and drive it down to the dragstrip on Friday nights during test and tune. He knew it would sell, hell it was a good car for anyone who needed a way to go, the A/C even blew cold. The first night we went to the track he did a handshake deal on a 6.0 LS motor and a bunch of turbo shit and the rest is history. I laughed at that motherfucker everytime he complained about his latest parts order and what a money pit the car had became.....😀

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
VC, true, its been a work in progress, but this time around we've sorted the weak parts.

Incidently, I modified a race bike from the frame up, in my shop, and set FIM world records with it.

There's doers, dreamers, and wannabees.

What category are you in?

OP
Anal Disco
So I took everything everyone said to heart and was even more torn than before. I figured I'd go down one more time to check for rust and for any excuse to walk away. I asked the seller if he could throw on the inner fenders before the weekend, half hoping he'd be unreasonable and say no so I would have been sufficiently annoyed to cancel but he said sure. So I picked up my buddy and we head down.

I was absolutely ready to walk away. I was starving too, if I had to choose between eating pizza or seeing this truck an hour away, I would have said screw the truck. As it happens, I stopped at a 7-11 on the way to get some taquitos to go, one of which was jalapeno and cream, an uncommon flavor in my area. I didn't know it at the time, but I believe that was a sign from the universe.

Anyway, we get down there. I crawl under the truck and man, that frame is clean. The cab and bed were from different trucks. Bed is far from perfect, but cab's in good shape. I was most worried about the windshield channels - I could see the winshield guy popping off the glass and having the bottom all rotted out. Seller said he POR'd the windshield frame a few years back, and I felt him to be an honest person, so we'll see in a few weeks how it looks when the windshield is replaced. It has the newer rubber style "gasket" around the glass and not the metal chrome strip, so if all goes well, that's $200 and half hour to swap. Not only did the guy put the inner fenders on before I got there, he threw on the mirrors and inner door panel. Pretty nice of him.

I'm hunched near the slotted wheels looking at the bed sides when I mutter to my friend, "Shit, I think I'm about to do something really dumb. I'm going to buy it." Start the truck up and it smells heavenly. Flowmasters sound great. We shook hands on the deal. Getting it towed this Saturday. I'm pumped.

This will be the coolest piece of shit I've ever owned.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
So I took everything everyone said to heart and was even more torn than before. I figured I'd go down one more time to check for rust and for any excuse to walk away. I asked the seller if he could throw on the inner fenders before the weekend, half hoping he'd be unreasonable and say no so I would have been sufficiently annoyed to cancel but he said sure. So I picked up my buddy and we head down.

I was absolutely ready to walk away. I was starving too, if I had to choose between eating pizza or seeing this truck an hour away, I would have said screw the truck. As it happens, I stopped at a 7-11 on the way to get some taquitos to go, one of which was jalapeno and cream, an uncommon flavor in my area. I didn't know it at the time, but I believe that was a sign from the universe.

Anyway, we get down there. I crawl under the truck and man, that frame is clean. The cab and bed were from different trucks. Bed is far from perfect, but cab's in good shape. I was most worried about the windshield channels - I could see the winshield guy popping off the glass and having the bottom all rotted out. Seller said he POR'd the windshield frame a few years back, and I felt him to be an honest person, so we'll see in a few weeks how it looks when the windshield is replaced. It has the newer rubber style "gasket" around the glass and not the metal chrome strip, so if all goes well, that's $200 and half hour to swap. Not only did the guy put the inner fenders on before I got there, he threw on the mirrors and inner door panel. Pretty nice of him.

I'm hunched near the slotted wheels looking at the bed sides when I mutter to my friend, "Shit, I think I'm about to do something really dumb. I'm going to buy it." Start the truck up and it smells heavenly. Flowmasters sound great. We shook hands on the deal. Getting it towed this Saturday. I'm pumped.

Do you feel different yet? I'm hoping you enjoy the truck.

Ninjaman12R

I hope you have some good times with it for sure 👍

OP
Anal Disco
One thing for sure.... At some point of this build a nice gen 1 Raptor will look like a bargain. :biggrin1a:
Not even kidding, on the way there I thought "I could just slap this $7,500 down on a Raptor and call it a day".

:lol:

Do you feel different yet? I'm hoping you enjoy the truck.
Curiously, I arose this morning with a fullness in my loins, feeling more maculine and American than ever before with the foolhardy confidence that typically begets a wreckless journey.

I haven't felt this way since I voted for Biden.

(And thank you, I'm hoping for a dope summer).

Did I miss something? Why are you getting it towed?
Not registered, calling a tow is easiest option to get it home.

LuxPride

BAMF
I've got $5 on a new Lynryd Skynyrd tee and some Skoal long cut. :biggrin1a:

Congrats man, enjoy the miser... I mean your new project!

When conservative chicks approach you, don't bug out if they're armed. Embrace it, see the future, be the future. Wear your new Skynyrd shirt with pride (best if you wash it 10x first, bubba's can spot a fresh Hot Topic tee a mile away). Before long you'll be calling everyone long-haired dirty hippies and looking for land in TN. Don't fight it, let America wrap her freedom-loving arms around you.
You're home, Son. :biggrin1a:

LuxPride

BAMF
A real man would just drive it home without papers but, he would have called his insurance agent with the Vin before leaving.
Pssshhhh, registration papers. Bruh, that ain't very American of you, AD! This vehicle is your ticket to white privilege, holmes! I agree! Fuck towing it, if it sandbags you it sandbags you.

By the time you get home, you'll know so much more about what needs to be done. Unless it doesn't stop, then that might be an issue.

OP
Anal Disco
A real man would just drive it home without papers but, he would have called his insurance agent with the Vin before leaving.
I've done that in the past, no insurance or reg. Have a friend drive behind you. Nowadays, the cop cars have automatic scanners that will ping out bad plates and this is an hour drive by highway. The cab is filled with a bunch of spare parts and if I get into an accident, I'll be a crispy crunchy mess. Plus I don't have to bug anyone for a ride.

I have a AAA membership with paid for tows, might as well put that to good use.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I've done that in the past, no insurance or reg. Have a friend drive behind you. Nowadays, the cop cars have automatic scanners that will ping out bad plates and this is an hour drive by highway. The cab is filled with a bunch of spare parts and if I get into an accident, I'll be a crispy crunchy mess. Plus I don't have to bug anyone for a ride.

I have a AAA membership with paid for tows, might as well put that to good use.
So, you didn't take someone with you or did I misunderstand that post saying you did?

You're too young for your ten feet tall and bulletproof to have worn off just yet.

I didn't say go without basic coverage called in.

It would have been a good time for a shakedown run but, suit yourself.

nomad

TRANSVAXXITE

wait what?
fuck the truck... lets hear about the ice cream and pizza - definitely a sign , but what does it mean???

... on the edge of my truck seat

OP
Anal Disco
So, you didn't take someone with you or did I misunderstand that post saying you did?

You're too young for your ten feet tall and bulletproof to have worn off just yet.

I didn't say go without basic coverage called in.

It would have been a good time for a shakedown run but, suit yourself.
I brought a friend with me to check it out, but no cash, since seller said he needed a few days.

My invincibility wore off the first time I slammed my shin on a ball hitch.

No worries, shake downs will come soon enough. :up:

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Do you know how to properly set the gear backlash?
I bought a dial indicator to set the ring gear backlash.
And an inch lbs torque wrench to set the pinion gear preload.

On the Dana 44 IFS, the carrier bearing preload is a PITA. You have to remove the bearings to insert/remove shims. So I bought a couple of setup bearings that I can grind out some of the inner race so the bearing easily goes on/can be removed.

I haven't done any of this before but I've been researching quite a bit.

Top Bottom