Talk me out of this truck

What do you see is wrong with it?
You said it needs an alignment, it's never that easy. Prepare to get hosed on a lot of shit there, probably.
The tire are kinda lame, but I guess they work.
Fuel cell removal, new gas tank will cost if you are paying someone.

Other than that it needs something done with the body. Either there is no cutting corners and you spend upwards of $5k or get a cheap paint job that rust bubbles pop up in a year, or spray bomb it and touch it up every spring.

Dameon

BAMF+
I need a truck for hauling stuff and this thing has a fuel cell in the bed I'll need to relocate.
Won't haul much until you relocate the tank. I wouldn't consider that an "easy" effort. Of course, "easy" is relative. Even when the bed is free, I wouldn't want to haul shit up ramp or stairs to get into the bed. The lower the better.

It's got the slot wheels I fucking love
Look like Corvette wheels of the same era.

this thing will be a money pit.
No question there. And a time pit.

Buy to your needs. If you need to haul, get a regular truck that doesn't have a bed blocker and lift kit.

RobBase

BAMF
So you want to buy a truck that's no good for what you want it for and coats 2x - 3x as much as it's worth just shows why so many here think you're a nitwit.
In other words, go buy the fucking thing!

OP
Anal Disco
$2500 will get you this. 20k mile 350, 4speed, I wouldn’t hesitate to drive it cross country (again) and I will buy you dinner in Aspen and give you a place to sleep
View attachment 61695
Appreciate the generous offer of hosting. I'm looking for a pick up primarily :up:

7500 dollars will by you a shit ton of "work trucks" in far better condition than that.

heck half that would buy you any number of ACTUAL suburbans. from 89 on up. for whatever reason they are far far cheaper than the same year pickups or tahoes etc.

take out the 3rd row seat and you have a full 8' bed in the back.

1998, 4x4..heat/ac all new...new trans...no rust....interior in great shape (no rips or tears etc) power everything....3500 bucks. and I still think I might have overpaid (I really wanted a white one)

View attachment 61696
I've been checking CL and I see the same thing - truck versions are twice as expensive. Even beat up Rangers and S10s are $2k for a beat dick one. I'm looking for a pickup otherwise I'd be all over an Excursion.

Not a bad truck for CT as there's no mechanical inspection required. Bent wheel, brakes don't work in rear, fuel line leaks, none of that matters. Only a VIN check if bought out of state.

Don't know how emissions inspection works for old stuff.
I believe anything 20 years or over is exempt. My 1986 never went for emissions.

Cool $11,000 truck! That's what you'll be in it for once you get the fuel cell situated, the transfer cases dialed in, the trans flushed, that water pump looks suspect, new tires/rubber seals (inside and out), then the electrical gremlins will come out to play. (I don't see these issues in your photos, but let's be honest, they're lurking right around the corner and they always seem to come about as soon as a new owner shows up)
You're for sure paying the North East premium. If it's rust-free, the rest can be dealt with. $7500 might buy you a better truck if you're willing to pull a Sail and bomb across the country to get it. I also understand the feeling of instant gratification. If the bones are solid, fuck it, why not?

If that didn't talk you out of it, imagine all the conservative pussy that'll flock to your new all-American wet dream. If you're not into chicks that hunt, cook, clean, drink bourbon all day, and fuck all night. Then you're probably not a fit for that truck if you're trying to pull chicks. Cause the leftie types aren't gonna holler at you, they'll probably holler at the cops and call you a racist but they won't want fuck all to do with you. :biggrin1a:

Seriously though, enjoy it if it makes you happy brother!
Best reply so far.

I figure the only interest in this truck is going to be older guys shuffling up to me at the pump to talk classic trucks. Although I did go on some dates with liberal chick at UMass-Northampton that was super into the C10, but she also smoked Camel Wides and was into heavy metal.... :lol:

Axe him if he checked the pushrods yet. If he says yeah then he's talking aboot a different pushrod. The Lady _schiavo will unnerstand.

DELIGHTFUL BEES!!
This is a gay free zone, keep your fantasies to yourself.

Do I buy it or not?

I'm thinking maybe you need a trailer...a nice little 5x8....
Eventually. I've rented too many uhaul trailers, cheap as they are.

You said it needs an alignment, it's never that easy. Prepare to get hosed on a lot of shit there, probably.
The tire are kinda lame, but I guess they work.
Fuel cell removal, new gas tank will cost if you are paying someone.

Other than that it needs something done with the body. Either there is no cutting corners and you spend upwards of $5k or get a cheap paint job that rust bubbles pop up in a year, or spray bomb it and touch it up every spring.
I'm gonna spray bomb so it's one uniform color. I do need a windshield as well, which I got a quote from a local glass shop for $220, as long as it has the rubber around the windshield.

Imma notarize this thread
View attachment 61724
Unless Billetman notarized it, this is worthless to me.

So you want to buy a truck that's no good for what you want it for and coats 2x - 3x as much as it's worth just shows why so many here think you're a nitwit.
In other words, go buy the fucking thing!
Worth is relative to the local market. I see some stuff on FB from Maryland that would sell very quickly up here, in way better shape.

Last edited:

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Those particular trucks (K30) are unobtainium...

I don't know where you are in CT, but here's one in NY for $2500! Just needs an engine,

View attachment 61710

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
yep, pickup trucks are stupid priced right now...whole reason i sold my f150 to carvana!

still plenty of deals out there under 7500 that provide FAR more truck than what you have posted above. 2000-2007 chevy extended cabs are all over in this range, and much like the suburbans/excursions....they are WAY cheaper than the regular cabs.

can get them even cheaper if you want a longbed!

personally for 7500 and a work truck, id find me a regular cab long bed chevy/gmc 2500. should come with the 6.0 motor and 4l80 trans...both essentially bulletproof (no dod/afm on a 6.0).

Stetson

BAMF+
Those particular trucks (K30) are unobtainium...
I've been thinking about this one, but it's too long for my garage. I wish it was stock height, too.

He's pretty proud of it.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
something like this would serve you far better for that price range.... and they arent difficult to find. bet 5500 takes this home.

id find me a regular cab long bed chevy/gmc 2500. should come with the 6.0 motor and 4l80 trans...both essentially bulletproof (no dod/afm on a 6.0).
Good advice on that proper work truck for real, in spite of the 13 mpg.

No Chevy truck built before 2007 has afm though, which is why I like them. 1500s aren't exactly a workhorse, but they suit most peoples needs.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
something like this would serve you far better for that price range.... and they arent difficult to find. bet 5500 takes this home.

Yup, my truck is a 99 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT and it’s a great little beast. Does every thing I need it to.
AEFC3B5E-4D26-4654-8916-2A31FFBB9219.jpeg
It isn’t pretty but I don’t care about that.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...

I like the 5.7L '96-'98 models better.
After they went 13B for air conditioners.

Yup, my truck is a 99 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT and it’s a great little beast. Does every thing I need it to.
View attachment 61750
It isn’t pretty but I don’t care about that.
It's prettier than Tinhead's Chevy.
Mine we are probably at a tie. This is the only pic I had, doesn't show all the paint coming off the roof. Or the mismatched hood off a 2500 that was the same color as your truck. It kinda matches the rocker color though.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Funny. Because I bought one for my truck as well. Turned out mine had the oem fuel filter. Damned thing was so bad the fuel that came out of it was black. Truck wouldn’t run over 70mph. Now it runs great.

Mine was just a slow starting issue due to the pressure bleeding off too fast on the prime, and then the new pump blew out the rusty lines so had to replace those from tank to engine.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Seriously, how often are you going to actually need a pickup to haul stuff? Once or twice a month for a day's worth of work? Just rent one from U-Haul or $30.00 and avoid the nightmare of owning some old POS that's going to be a money pit.

kawachan

BAMF
My 08 4.8 Silverado has 178+k on it. It is my work truck now. I just pulled a 17 GMC @350 miles back to the house on my car hauler. Go to Colorado every year in it and drive through all kinds of rough prairie in it. Still going strong. My old 2001 has over 300k on it now. Talked to the guy who bought it last week. Buy something newer with FI and WAY less problems than that heap has. It looks cool but that is an easy PASS.

OP
Anal Disco
Appreciate the advice so far. The general gist has been to bust out the wallet if I buy it. That's cool. I've called around to a few places for gas tank relocation and windshield replacement. Alignment/front end work will be done as well.

Seriously, how often are you going to actually need a pickup to haul stuff? Once or twice a month for a day's worth of work? Just rent one from U-Haul or $30.00 and avoid the nightmare of owning some old POS that's going to be a money pit.
This is a good point.

Let me be clear - I'm not looking for a work truck/daily driver/tow rig.

I'm looking for a K series that I can throw shit into the bed that's not going to fit in my 4Runner. I'm buying a house that's going to need some light work, so 2-3 trips to Home Depot a week. Steps on front/back porch need to be redone. Move furniture, pick up appliances. 90% of the time I'm going to bomb around town, take it to 7-11 to get taquitos and Red Bull.

I've been jonesing for another square body since I sold my last one. I'm not convinced this is the truck to get, but this is certainly the type of truck I'm looking for - solid frame, good bones. Lifted. Cosmetically hideous. I'll scuff the paint and throw a layer of primer on it. That way I won't feel bad when I scratch it or toss cinderblocks into the bed. Worst case I dump it for a small loss in the future.

Last edited:

JustTom

BAM
100% agree on fuel tank, I called a local shop to relocate it back to under the driver side with factory shit. The safety alone is worth it.

Don't assume the factory setup is an improvement.

OP
Anal Disco
Don't assume the factory setup is an improvement
Oh shit, never knew. :eek:

Nixing the side saddle idea. Thank you.

as others have said, you'll get real tired of doing those mentioned items with a lifted truck.
This is probably the best reason not to buy. That and dying in a horrific fire.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
Appreciate the advice so far. The general gist has been to bust out the wallet if I buy it. That's cool. I've called around to a few places for gas tank relocation and windshield replacement. Alignment/front end work will be done as well.

This is a good point.

Let me be clear - I'm not looking for a work truck/daily driver/tow rig.

I'm looking for a K series that I can throw shit into the bed that's not going to fit in my 4Runner. I'm buying a house that's going to need some light work, so 2-3 trips to Home Depot a week. Steps on front/back porch need to be redone. Move furniture, pick up appliances. 90% of the time I'm going to bomb around town, take it to 7-11 to get taquitos and Red Bull.

I've been jonesing for another square body since I sold my last one. I'm not convinced this is the truck to get, but this is certainly the type of truck I'm looking for - solid frame, good bones. Lifted. Cosmetically hideous. I'll scuff the paint and throw a layer of primer on it. That way I won't feel bad when I scratch it or toss cinderblocks into the bed. Worst case I dump it for a small loss in the future.
fyi 99% of that will fit in the back of a suburban/excursion with no 3rd row seat.

for anything larger, that is why god invented the 5x10 utility trailer.

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
Excellent points.

He has the fender walls. I'm going to ask that he put them on before/if I buy.

100% agree on fuel tank, I called a local shop to relocate it back to under the driver side with factory shit. The safety alone is worth it.

I know, I know, manifolds. Stock ones at that.

@Austin_F How much did the grey one go for? I'd buy that. I've considered a fly and buy, but most of the good trucks are in the SE and I don't have the time off from work to finagle that.
Lmao.
She s calling a local shop to relocate the fuel tank.
Make sure they check the blinker fluid also

Top Bottom