Talk me out of this truck

I need a truck for hauling stuff and this thing has a fuel cell in the bed I'll need to relocate. Frame was restored, good cab, decent bed. Rebuilt 350, sounds healthy.

It rattles, it's loud, and it drives like a 70s truck would. It's got the slot wheels I fucking love and it'll put a smile on my face for 7500 bucks. It'll annoy everyone in my neighborhood.

I'm strapped for cash for the next few months and this thing will be a money pit.

Talk me out of this.

Vicious_Cycle

HOLYBAMF
...unburnt fuel coming from the tailpipe. :)
That's the first thing I thought of. That instant headache you get when you're behind (or driving) some poorly-tuned piece of shit. Probably have to replace the starter every 2 years because you have to crank the carbureted piece of shit for 15 minutes before it will start. A 40-year step backward in technology that you will quickly grow tired of.

That thing has Buyer's Remorse written all the fuck over it!!!
I dig the slotted mags too. Buy it. :up::up:

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Get a cheap ass s 10 long bed.. haul it your stuff... then sell it. I had one I picked up for 800 bucks sold it for 1500 after the jobs where done.. not one penny spent on it other then gas.

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
Take a lesson from Uncle Brad and Jew him down...

Just for the rims mind you😊

zxfan

BAM
Has all the rust been fixed?
Looks pretty straight from the crappy picture.
Throw a decent paint job on it and get all the panels to match and you might have a pretty sharp looking truck.
Get it.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
There are tons of 70 & 80's Fords and Chevy around here that can be picked up for under $1000. Most don't run, some do. No rust (climate is very dry) on most. Most of them are 4 x 4s

OP
Anal Disco
Well your liberal friends will picket your house the second they smell the unburnt fuel coming from the tailpipe. :)

I say get it.
I'm going to throw on an LGBTQ+ bumper sticker to throw them off my scent.

Pun intended.

That's the first thing I thought of. That instant headache you get when you're behind (or driving) some poorly-tuned piece of shit. Probably have to replace the starter every 2 years because you have to crank the carbureted piece of shit for 15 minutes before it will start. A 40-year step backward in technology that you will quickly grow tired of.

That thing has Buyer's Remorse written all the fuck over it!!!
I dig the slotted mags too. Buy it. :up::up:
Like a hot chick with an STD, I still want to hit it.

It fired up pretty quickly, but I didn't check the headers to see if they were warm. My old C10 would start up faster than any EFI vehicle I owned.

I do happen to love the smell of a properly carb'd vehicle. Diesel gives me a headache.

But yes, it has buyer's remorse written all over it.

Throw a big Suburban gas tank in it along with a gear venders and drive the shit out of it. 👍
Seller said some guys used a Blazer tank to stick it in a bed mounted toolbox. I'd rather move it to the stock location under the driver seat. Local hot rod shop ballparked it "under $1000" for everything. Might just get a toolbox and a low profile tank and call it a day. The fuel cell pictured originally sat under the bed, by the hitch when it was a flat bed, but this current bed sits lower. He has the mount for it, I would need to cut a hole to fill it up. I'm not keen on this.

Has all the rust been fixed?
Looks pretty straight from the crappy picture.
Throw a decent paint job on it and get all the panels to match and you might have a pretty sharp looking truck.
Get it.
The only rust is located on the bed, above the wheels. Small holes. Everything else has pretty much been gone through. Some surface rust on the cab (what others would call patina).

There are tons of 70 & 80's Fords and Chevy around here that can be picked up for under $1000. Most don't run, some do. No rust (climate is very dry) on most. Most of them are 4 x 4s
The market in New England is tough. $2500 gets you clapped out square body, rust all over the place, needs cab corners, rockers, etc. Stock tired 305/350.

A little hard to haul stuff with the gastank taking up 1/3 of the bed.
It's got a sizeable lift. Getting a fridge in and out is going to be a pain in the ass.

Billy V

BAMF
Don't do it. Buy a compact that's easy to drive, load, and park.

Tall trucks are a bitch to load.
There are no fender wells, so every bit of shit, sleet, dirt and snow will completely cover the motor in short order.
Fuel cell is a problem - it's got to go. It's not dot mounted - not even a rubber grommet around the hole. One crash and you go up in a ball of fire.

However, if you want to be the baddest nigger dragging motherfucker on the block....go for it.
- Rebel flag will match the paint.

Last edited:
OP
Anal Disco
Don't do it. Buy a compact that's easy to drive, load, and park.

Tall trucks are a bitch to load.
There are no fender wells, so every bit of shit, sleet, dirt and snow will completely cover the motor in short order.
Fuel cell is a problem - it's got to go. It's not dot mounted - not even a rubber grommet around the hole. One crash and you go up in a ball of fire.

However, if you want to be the baddest nigger dragging motherfucker on the block....go for it.
- Rebel flag will match the paint.
Excellent points.

He has the fender walls. I'm going to ask that he put them on before/if I buy.

100% agree on fuel tank, I called a local shop to relocate it back to under the driver side with factory shit. The safety alone is worth it.

I know, I know, manifolds. Stock ones at that.

Austin_F Austin_F How much did the grey one go for? I'd buy that. I've considered a fly and buy, but most of the good trucks are in the SE and I don't have the time off from work to finagle that.

Austin_F

BAMF+
I don't know, I was passing through and stopped for pics for no particular reason besides I like old trucks. But I didn't pay attention to what town, or the name of the auction or anything.

So kinda pointless for me to post them I guess.

OP
Anal Disco
Just borrow your roomie's Honda Element

It'll bring you closer together :up:
This is guaranteed to annoy him. He doesn't like loud cars. But he'll scream at his monitor past midnight. 🙄

I don't know, I was passing through and stopped for pics for no particular reason besides I like old trucks. But I didn't pay attention to what town, or the name of the auction or anything.

So kinda pointless for me to post them I guess.
It's otherwise a pretty good idea, the logistics would be tough.

It's hard to buy a truck that isn't a money pit to be honest. Unless you spend about 15 grand or buy some utilitarian grandpa edition or the basic work truck.
I'm just partial to 2003-2006 Silverados. They are relatively simple while still being sort of modern, and they get good fuel mileage.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
7500 dollars will by you a shit ton of "work trucks" in far better condition than that.

heck half that would buy you any number of ACTUAL suburbans. from 89 on up. for whatever reason they are far far cheaper than the same year pickups or tahoes etc.

take out the 3rd row seat and you have a full 8' bed in the back.

1998, 4x4..heat/ac all new...new trans...no rust....interior in great shape (no rips or tears etc) power everything....3500 bucks. and I still think I might have overpaid (I really wanted a white one)

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Not a bad truck for CT as there's no mechanical inspection required. Bent wheel, brakes don't work in rear, fuel line leaks, none of that matters. Only a VIN check if bought out of state.

Don't know how emissions inspection works for old stuff.

The market in New England is tough. $2500 gets you clapped out square body, rust all over the place, needs cab corners, rockers, etc. Stock tired 305/350.
Gonna pay the squarebody tax anywhere. Especially in New England, anything older that's not a rust bucket is gonna cost a penny extra as well. I've been hunting for something for a little while now, and spent a good portion of my off time in Texas searching out an older rust free driver Suburban I could snag and drive back to Vermont. I bet all of the "rebuilt title" bent up cars go to south Texas, lol.

LuxPride

BAMF
Cool $11,000 truck! That's what you'll be in it for once you get the fuel cell situated, the transfer cases dialed in, the trans flushed, that water pump looks suspect, new tires/rubber seals (inside and out), then the electrical gremlins will come out to play. (I don't see these issues in your photos, but let's be honest, they're lurking right around the corner and they always seem to come about as soon as a new owner shows up)
You're for sure paying the North East premium. If it's rust-free, the rest can be dealt with. $7500 might buy you a better truck if you're willing to pull a Sail and bomb across the country to get it. I also understand the feeling of instant gratification. If the bones are solid, fuck it, why not?

If that didn't talk you out of it, imagine all the conservative pussy that'll flock to your new all-American wet dream. If you're not into chicks that hunt, cook, clean, drink bourbon all day, and fuck all night. Then you're probably not a fit for that truck if you're trying to pull chicks. Cause the leftie types aren't gonna holler at you, they'll probably holler at the cops and call you a racist but they won't want fuck all to do with you. :biggrin1a:

Seriously though, enjoy it if it makes you happy brother!

Top Bottom