SxS Thread

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I went out to Johnson Valley OHV this past weekend. Man what a blast, it has so many different types of terrain. We went to the dunes, climbed up some pretty big volcanic mountains, went through some pretty narrow washes and hit my 80mph speed limiter on the dry lake bed all in one ride.

Johnson Valley is known for rock crawling as this is where the do the King of Hammers event. If you have ever seen that on TV then you know how crazy the rock crawling trails can be. All the really big trails are in the Hammers section and they are named stuff like Claw Hammer, Sledge Hammer, Wrecking Ball, Blender Alley. I knew better then to try to take my SxS up any of that stuff. We did see some pretty cool crawlers starting out on one of the trails and they looked like they could easily crawl right over stuff bigger than my SxS. We did a loop around the mountain that the Hammers all go up and found some pretty knarly trails that we were able to do some crawling in our SxSs. I wished I had bigger tires and more ground clearance, but I made it through OK.

We found some sand dunes and played around in the sand for a bit. That was really fun, but I can see where if you were doing that a lot you would want as much HP as you can get. For now my stock YXZ did fine.

We also ran up some pretty tall volcanic hills and through some cool washes with big boulders all around. We ran across a guy in a dodge mega cab out wheeling in one of the washes and I was pretty surprised he was taking that thing up the trail we were on.

On the way back towards camp we were blasting across a dry lake bed at top speed when we came across a guy that rolled his SxS and it was stuck on it's side. Turns out this dude's buddy just bought a brand new Maverick Turbo and told his friend to take it out for a spin. Well his friend rolled it and the whole side was pretty scratched up. We hooked my buddy's winch up to his roll cage and got him back on his wheels. They were lucky to be unhurt, but did seem a little shaken up. I think he was probably going pretty fast when he lost control. Anyway, he was going to have to tell his buddy that he just rolled his brand new rig.

One of the really cool things about Johnson Valley is all the awesome stuff you see cruising around camp and out in the desert. There were trophy trucks, SxSs, rock crawlers, Jeeps with huge tires and suspension, sand rails, all sorts of stuff. The OHV area is huge and once you get out on the trails you don't see many people. There were tons of people in camp and it is a pretty big party at night.

Here's some video....

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
I gotta stop ripping ours around the neighborhood, drunk, on Saturdays. No more reverse now. It is a broken chain but the whole transmission has to come out. What a pain in the ass

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
A buddy and I went out to Stoddard Wells OHV this past weekend and had a great time in the SxS. Here's a hyper lapse of a ride we did from the west end of the park where we were camped up to the outlet stores near Barstow. I think it was about 40 miles offroad? Climbed some pretty big hills along the way.

Top Bottom