SxS Thread

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The caster will be laid back a degree or two and it should improve cornering, by the looks of the height difference of the stock vs. new tires.

High speeds may be a little more twitchy but, with such a long wheelbase I wouldn't expect to be bad.

Bandit Man

BAMF
I have been watching Matts Offroad Recovery on youtube lately, He works around the Zion area and tows a lot of these that break down (mostly driver error). You can get a good idea what gives out if you watch his videos.

OP
Stites

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
I have been watching Matts Offroad Recovery on youtube lately, He works around the Zion area and tows a lot of these that break down (mostly driver error). You can get a good idea what gives out if you watch his videos.
Interesting that you posted this because I have been brainstorming this very idea for our area. So many people wreck their shit and get stranded out here. One of my fears and thus the reason I am outfitting the RZR with everything I can to fix it myself on the trail short of a catastrophic failure. At this venture in the game I am not knowledgeable enough about off-roading to start that kind of gig.

Curious as to what they charge for a recovery like on the rzr below.

They fucked this RZR up........I thought for sure the trailer was going to roll

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP
Stites

Stites

Took the RZR out for a few hours this evening to play around and test out the new rims and tires.

Initial thoughts are good.

I definitely felt a little bit of power loss due to the extra rotational mass. Performance in loose stuff actually felt a little bit less. Performance on hard pack, rocks and the little bit of wet I got to drive seemed to be superior over the stock tires.

Car seems much more stable and I felt like it road much better and my neighbor who went along also confirmed.

Rocks definitely get stuck in the deep 1” tread blocks and many more rocks are being flung to the moon.

Overall I am happy with the purchase and the performance. As I ride in it more I will be more equipped to confirm or deny my first thoughts after a short ride

F70C58D2-F307-4073-A1B8-F81B27F54212.jpeg

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
It's not lost on me that the only tree within 200yds of your position is dead center of your snap.

You have my gratitude and admiration.

OP
Stites

Stites

It's not lost on me that the only tree within 200yds of your position is dead center of your snap.

You have my gratitude and admiration.
Last weekend with BikeFrk......dude we live on the edge of the desert and the forest. 16D12D9A-B31D-498B-B455-FE6683E923DF.jpeg7C599220-1B82-47B2-94FE-67523C114E8E.jpeg79FD4AD9-6848-44B7-8B2B-13B1ABD53636.jpeg0F48B69A-4D22-41DE-B740-86B7FB10C9FD.jpeg

• FU

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
Always park your scooter with the steering towards the jiffy stand... never away.

Bandit Man

BAMF
Is that the guy with the yellow old school Cherokee and the "hot-ish" daughter? I've spent a fair amount of time on his channel.
Yeah, but she is not his daughter. she is a friends daughter, He has all the goofy looking sons.

She is a roofer by trade and rides rodeo, just works for Matt on the side.

Dameon

BAMF+
Yeah, but she is not his daughter. she is a friends daughter, He has all the goofy looking sons. She is a roofer by trade and rides rodeo, just works for Matt on the side.
Ah, that's likely the channel then. There's another recovery channel I frequent that does mostly on-road big stuff. His rig is a triple rear axle Peterbuilt. Probably a $500K rig loaded up.

I enjoy learning from their experiences.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I'm going to look at a new Yamaha YXZ 1000R SE Sunday. A friend I used to race with is the sales manager at a dealership and quoted me a great price (basically cost) on one. I might buy it Sunday or at least put down some $ to purchase. Looking to get the sequential manual shift just because I think it will be more fun to drive.

I'm getting excited about this :) I'm looking forward to hitting you Johnson Valley and Stoddard Wells on a regular basis.

I'm thinking the only things I'll need right away are a 4 point harness and a GPS. Anything else that is a must for the first trip out?

OP
Stites

Stites

I'm going to look at a new Yamaha YXZ 1000R SE Sunday. A friend I used to race with is the sales manager at a dealership and quoted me a great price (basically cost) on one. I might buy it Sunday or at least put down some $ to purchase. Looking to get the sequential manual shift just because I think it will be more fun to drive.

I'm getting excited about this :) I'm looking forward to hitting you Johnson Valley and Stoddard Wells on a regular basis.

I'm thinking the only things I'll need right away are a 4 point harness and a GPS. Anything else that is a must for the first trip out?
Tools, spare tire, fire extinguisher

• Red

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench

Insurance.

DUCHUNTER

"I am Jacks _______"
Last month a couple of side by sides saved my ass after getting caught in the rain at a large offroad park called windrock.

I was beat, no traction muddy as all fucking hell, two miles into a dead ended advanced trail. Two fuckers on SxS's roll up like no big deal. I thought well shit. When too old for this two wheeled treachery an SxS is on the list.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
So what GPS are you guys using? Looks at the Yamaha one is like $999 and it is from Magellen. Seems a bit steep price for a GPS.

Also what is a good website for parts and accessories?

OP
Stites

Stites

So what GPS are you guys using? Looks at the Yamaha one is like $999 and it is from Magellen. Seems a bit steep price for a GPS.

Also what is a good website for parts and accessories?
I use onX Off-road and we are going to use an iPad mount. Right now I spend $30 a year on onX and it’s pretty badass. Lots of guys use Gaia.

For parts I have just been researching on specific FB forums and calling Pra. He has established a few accounts so I could buy from specific distributors.

So what’s the details on yours? Year? Turbo?

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I bought a new 2020 Yamaha YXZ1000R SE. One of my racing buddies from way back is a sales manager at a dealer and I got a screaming deal. My buggy should be at the dealer this week and I hope to pick it up by the end of the week or over the weekend.

I'm going to take the SxS with me out the Chuckwalla just after thanksgiving and go explore the desert around the track. I'm going to just drive it stock for the first trip.

I'm going to get the necessities for it first. I need a GPS, Spare tire, 4 Point Harness, jack and tool kit. Maybe a winch.

After I have that stuff I want to go out to Johnson Valley (where they do king of hammers) and Stoddard Wells OHV. Both are pretty close to where I live and I can go out for a weekend and camp in my trailer.

I think I want to get a dedicated GPS as they are a bit more rugged than a tablet. The Magellan TRX7 looks pretty good and isn't too costly at about $400.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Garmin Zumo. Rugged, daylight screen, big buttons are glove friendly.

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
Last month a couple of side by sides saved my ass after getting caught in the rain at a large offroad park called windrock.

I was beat, no traction muddy as all fucking hell, two miles into a dead ended advanced trail. Two fuckers on SxS's roll up like no big deal. I thought well shit. When too old for this two wheeled treachery an SxS is on the list.
A SxS is a nice addition to a dirtbike in the garage. I have both and it is nice sometimes to just sit in a nice seat and go slide around corners

bikefrk

Two Wheels. Any Surface.
Jon aka bikefrk had some insight on that. I was chatting with a coworker about his desire to buy one... i explained how the purchase price is just the first step... aside from the minimal safety gear and accessories. He got really upset when defending his position about not wanting to do all that stuff or beat on it. I just shook my head.
I currently own a 2019 two seat Polaris 1000. N/A. Don’t need a turbo for the trails I take it on. Fucker will still rip 75mph down the two tracks

Bought it used from a rental company. $12k

First mods were a safer aftermarket cage, roof, glass windshield, 4 point harnesses, Method beadlock wheels and Tensor Regulator tires(DOT legal).

Added high clearance radius rods in the rear. Bent both of the lowers in one weekend dicking around at a buddies property

I may street legal it like our XP900 was.

3D5E2BAA-A6CF-4662-81A9-6E9427088E22.jpeg

03705F3F-A453-4126-8F16-7A4781AF2115.jpeg

35A138A6-0489-4E21-837C-B0674DF74500.jpeg

000D20B1-E1A0-444E-BFF7-9812991D3B6B.jpeg

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
Just picked up my yxz today. Glad it fits in my trailer no problem. I'm going to take it with me on a trip to the desert I have planned for after Thanksgiving.

My buddy bought one too, and a toy hauler. We're gong to be doing a bunch of weekend trips soon.

I'm looking forward to ding a lot of desert exploring and hitting the dunes.

OP
Stites

Stites

So I just got the RZR back on Friday after it was found that I had shot wheel bearings after 250 miles. Turns out Polaris has had an issue with their wheel bearing manufacture with many people getting brand new machines with dry wheel bearings. They warrantied it and wow the front end feels completely different. Sad part is the reason I took it in was a vibration in 4x4 and that's what they found. Well after going out this weekend the vibration isn't as bad but it's still there. It's going back in on Wednesday........ I guess I am just going to have to go dirt biking this weekend.

• Red

Squidwerd

Ze Squidwerd
Website
www.snoopdogg.com
So I just got the RZR back on Friday after it was found that I had shot wheel bearings after 250 miles. Turns out Polaris has had an issue with their wheel bearing manufacture with many people getting brand new machines with dry wheel bearings. They warrantied it and wow the front end feels completely different. Sad part is the reason I took it in was a vibration in 4x4 and that's what they found. Well after going out this weekend the vibration isn't as bad but it's still there. It's going back in on Wednesday........ I guess I am just going to have to go dirt biking this weekend.
This was my biggest complaint about polaris in my area...
Our service shops were shite...

I hated selling units knowing that if they ended up under any descent strain... Some recall or some other issue would pop up.

So here is my customer looking at me in the eye a month after purchase and asking why his unit doesn't get priority...

I'd point out to the yard where trailer after trailer were pulling in from out of state.

That's why. I can't take a break from selling units to even hardly help you or give you the low down on actual turnaround times.

Our service dept was a fucking joke...
I would get pissed and go back into the garage and start building my own units these motherfuckers couldn't help get built on time for my out state customers.

My sales manager would still have one of those fire and brimstone manager meetings in the morning and here i was working past sales time in the garage, making deliveries on the weekend to Florida alabama etc...

The 6 to 10 g a month wasn't worth it when I saw kids the age of stites little girl return a unit for service and be told 60 day minimal turn around..

It was the most lucrative and unrewarding sales job ever.

OP
Stites

Stites

This was my biggest complaint about polaris in my area...
Our service shops were shite...

I hated selling units knowing that if they ended up under any descent strain... Some recall or some other issue would pop up.

So here is my customer looking at me in the eye a month after purchase and asking why his unit doesn't get priority...

I'd point out to the yard where trailer after trailer were pulling in from out of state.

That's why. I can't take a break from selling units to even hardly help you or give you the low down on actual turnaround times.

Our service dept was a fucking joke...
I would get pissed and go back into the garage and start building my own units these motherfuckers couldn't help get built on time for my out state customers.

My sales manager would still have one of those fire and brimstone manager meetings in the morning and here i was working past sales time in the garage, making deliveries on the weekend to Florida alabama etc...

The 6 to 10 g a month wasn't worth it when I saw kids the age of stites little girl return a unit for service and be told 60 day minimal turn around..

It was the most lucrative and unrewarding sales job ever.
Thanks for that perspective my friend. I love the machine and the fun we as a family have in it, at this point I am hoping I didn't get a lemon. I don't think we are even close, but you never know.

Squidwerd

Ze Squidwerd
Website
www.snoopdogg.com
Thanks for that perspective my friend. I love the machine and the fun we as a family have in it, at this point I am hoping I didn't get a lemon. I don't think we are even close, but you never know.
Not saying you got a lemon at all...

Just be glad you have a service shop that sounds like its at least timely...

When you take it back update us on what the noise could be... Wheel bearings would have been the first place I looked on a newer machine..

OP
Stites

Stites

Not saying you got a lemon at all...

Just be glad you have a service shop that sounds like its at least timely...

When you take it back update us on what the noise could be... Wheel bearings would have been the first place I looked on a newer machine..
Well I am friends with the owner as I used to machine parts for him. And I have things in the works now that I am hoping he will carry in his store.

Top Bottom