SxS Thread

llord2

BAM
The capabilities for these buggies are pretty incredible. If you got the balls to try it...it will probable climb it. For shits & giggles, I turned up a nearly vertical 12-14' creek bed cliff, recently washed out with an overhang at the top, greasy from creek to top from recent rains. Couldn't even line the machine up perpendicular to the rise as the creek was only about a foot wider than the wheelbase. No run for it, nothing...engaged the locker, cut the wheels and hammered it. Fuckin' thing shot up the face so fast, I was thinking we were going over backwards.. Incredible.
When I showed my partner riders they bet me that I couldn't do it and that I had to have gone down. Splashed it and did two more times. Not one of those pussies would even try it.

JustTom

BAM
My former employer got fucked up bad in a Razor 800.
He was hauling ass across his own hay field, hit some whoops, and endo'ed 8 or 10 times.
He was all belted in, he had a concussion,black eyes, broken nose, cut face, (no helmet) broken ribs, vertebrae, clavicle, 10 broken bones in his left arm/hand and 3 breaks in his pelvis which required surgery.

The stock "cage" was torn off and 100 ft from the main wreckage.
I helped recover the car the next day, we did some accident reconstruction. He tumbled a little over 400 ft on mostly level ground.:idea::idea:
Sorry, lawyers have the pics..

Just like motorcycles, they're fun, until they're not.

BigGar

high on placebo
LMR - Not cheap by any means, and once bought there's a lot to do to ensure the rig is set-up to get you home in case of a flat or belt. You need coolers, tool bags and a roof.

We are looking at different tires, roofs, lighting and all kinds of other shit.
My plan is to let some other guy buy all that stuff and put it on before I buy it from him :)

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
My former employer got fucked up bad in a Razor 800.
He was hauling ass across his own hay field, hit some whoops, and endo'ed 8 or 10 times.
He was all belted in, he had a concussion,black eyes, broken nose, cut face, (no helmet) broken ribs, vertebrae, clavicle, 10 broken bones in his left arm/hand and 3 breaks in his pelvis which required surgery.

The stock "cage" was torn off and 100 ft from the main wreckage.
I helped recover the car the next day, we did some accident reconstruction. He tumbled a little over 400 ft on mostly level ground.:idea::idea:
Sorry, lawyers have the pics..

Just like motorcycles, they're fun, until they're not.
Jon aka bikefrk had some insight on that. I was chatting with a coworker about his desire to buy one... i explained how the purchase price is just the first step... aside from the minimal safety gear and accessories. He got really upset when defending his position about not wanting to do all that stuff or beat on it. I just shook my head.

Vegas12

BAMF+
My plan is to let some other guy buy all that stuff and put it on before I buy it from him :)

Exactly!!
Mind is a '19 with about $700 in accessories.....aprox
$8000 cheaper than new.

One thing I'll always double guess myself on is that at the peek of this rona frenzy, there was no inventory.......I could of made $3k flipping mind.

r1racer

BAMF
Exactly!!
Mind is a '19 with about $700 in accessories.....aprox
$8000 cheaper than new.

One thing I'll always double guess myself on is that at the peek of this rona frenzy, there was no inventory.......I could of made $3k flipping mind.
Inventory is still not great though its catching up with demand. Lightly used are going for basically new prices pre-pandemic. It's only money and memories last forever! cough cough

OP
Stites

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
Damn. Still smoky there too huh? Cali (Fresno) Fire is smoking up the roaring fork valley bad right now.

Not to bad the last week, today was okay......supposed to blow out tonight

OP
Stites

Stites

Added this fire extinguisher and quick release mount this morning
E22BDFDE-9ADA-48AC-A0AA-A750D1856F98.jpeg

Pra is waiting on a reply for a tire and rim manufacturer so we can replace the rims and tires. Hoping to pull the trigger on those on Monday.

Stock Maxxis Big Horns just plain suck if you ask me. Saw wear on the rear tire after the first ride. At the rate we are going we would only get 1000 miles or so on the rears. This tire now has about 180 miles on it.
4D7AE4CF-DF85-4F47-9269-23473A86B78E.jpeg

On the front I have about 5-6 tread blocks that cracked. This crack was after the first or second ride. Unacceptable! Of course I had these same tires on a different car and I am really worried about a puncture. We carry a plug kit, slime and a compressor on board, but it’s still a concern.666043AC-D087-4AB7-A77A-4895B82FE73D.jpeg

We are looking at Tusk Terrabites and M1 Evils for tires. Much better tire, less susceptible to side wall punctures and people are getting over 5000 miles on them. The reason we are doing new rims as well is from the factory you have a 9 inch front coupled with an 11 inch rear. We will go with 10 inch rims on all four corners. This will allow for one size of tire and allow rotation to prolong tire life.1B39218C-06CF-4C0B-B993-F8D8A5043D06.jpeg

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Lemme know how switching to 10's works out. My oem tires are getting worn, and i like your idea of having same size, front and back.

OP
Stites

Stites

Lemme know how switching to 10's works out. My oem tires are getting worn, and i like your idea of having same size, front and back.
For sure my friend!! That said I know it works as I have several friends who have done it and it’s a pretty popular modification on the UTV forums.

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP
Stites

Stites

Also going from a 29 to a 30 inch tire will give a little more ground clearance coupled with a better ride.

• WTF

Vegas12

BAMF+
Also going from a 29 to a 30 inch tire will give a little more ground clearance coupled with a better ride.
I suppose a 1/2" of ground clearance is a little more, have you researched if there are any clutching issues with the 1" taller tires???

Are the tires you're looking at low pressure??

Otherwise I'd debate the better ride claim.

OP
Stites

Stites

I suppose a 1/2" of ground clearance is a little more, have you researched if there are any clutching issues with the 1" taller tires???

Are the tires you're looking at low pressure??

Otherwise I'd debate the better ride claim.

Clearance is clearance.....from what I am reading no clutch issues as these are still fairly light weight.

Also from the 3-4 people I have talked to in person it’s a better ride.

• Red

Vegas12

BAMF+
Clearance is clearance.....from what I am reading no clutch issues as these are still fairly light weight.

Also from the 3-4 people I have talked to in person it’s a better ride.
Is it a low pressure tire??

And it's the higher gearing that would affect the clutching, IMHO.

OP
Stites

Stites

Is it a low pressure tire??

And it's the higher gearing that would affect the clutching, IMHO.
To my knowledge it’s not a low pressure tire.

And it’s pretty common for people to run 32s on these rzrs. I want to keep my as close to stock as possible for the time being.

• Red

Squidwerd

Ze Squidwerd
Website
www.snoopdogg.com
I've sold many a side by side...

Mainly drunks and rednecks around here that like to go over rocks they shouldn't in a Polaris or any other homogenized brand.

They are glorified 4 wheelers. I could roll a 4 door razor on asphalt grass or gravel going like 10 mph..

In fact when I sold a unit I would drive it up to the customer with a quick turn and make one side raise and drop. I then gave a stern warning about gassing and turning and the absolute real dangers of roll over.

I wish I would have sold sxs out west.. The terrain for all the areas I see stites take pics of is perfect for those machines...

Out here when I hear someone pine over a 4 door sxs I often explain to them the fact you can take a nice used jeep (many different models from the 80s and early 90s) and make a good trail even okay rock crawler, that is way more beefy than any side by side.

However to make extra money I would order a set of all same size wheel and tire... Sometimes even a 5th wheel to get the old head thinking about a spare...

I sold more accessories for those damn things than you can shake a stick at. Doors for rangers
tops windshields, speakers, heaters a.c....

I sold a 37000 dollar ranger900 4 door.

I sold a guy 2 razor 1000 turbos and a ranger that I had lifted with a kit from super utv...
Had like 19 in it sold it for 23... It looked amazing.

People spend obscene amounts of money on em I just never found the roads here suited for the suspension and drive issues that occurred constantly.

Snail

Bought mine for a toy, it became a work tool. Its fun to rip around my logging roads.

I have a gnarlier than fuck hill climb that has never been climbed. I ran it down hill only, with 8 full sized fir trees behind a D-7 dozer, many times. Couldnt stop or the trees would have over run me and flipped the cat. Cross clutching dodging fir stumps all the way down.

It was scary but saved enough time we trippled output.

I think Gar and Dino tried it, made it halfway up.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I've sold many a side by side...

Mainly drunks and rednecks around here that like to go over rocks they shouldn't in a Polaris or any other homogenized brand.

They are glorified 4 wheelers. I could roll a 4 door razor on asphalt grass or gravel going like 10 mph..

In fact when I sold a unit I would drive it up to the customer with a quick turn and make one side raise and drop. I then gave a stern warning about gassing and turning and the absolute real dangers of roll over.

I wish I would have sold sxs out west.. The terrain for all the areas I see stites take pics of is perfect for those machines...

Out here when I hear someone pine over a 4 door sxs I often explain to them the fact you can take a nice used jeep (many different models from the 80s and early 90s) and make a good trail even okay rock crawler, that is way more beefy than any side by side.

However to make extra money I would order a set of all same size wheel and tire... Sometimes even a 5th wheel to get the old head thinking about a spare...

I sold more accessories for those damn things than you can shake a stick at. Doors for rangers
tops windshields, speakers, heaters a.c....

I sold a 37000 dollar ranger900 4 door.

I sold a guy 2 razor 1000 turbos and a ranger that I had lifted with a kit from super utv...
Had like 19 in it sold it for 23... It looked amazing.

People spend obscene amounts of money on em I just never found the roads here suited for the suspension and drive issues that occurred constantly.

Stop with the jeep bullshit that you've squawked about before.....there is absolutely no comparison.

Sure, if you like going up a trail at walking speed for fear of losing your fillings or pissing blood....get a jeep. There is absolutely no comparison between ride quality of a vehicle with 16" of independent suspension vs a stiffly sprung 4" of solid axle.

In Utah, the trails are limited to vehicles <72" wide....obviously no jeeps allowed.

It's not just the wooded trails that Stites shows....go to the dunes and count the number of Jeeps vs. SxS's.....no need to, you probably won't see any jeeps of any vintage.

Maybe you can roll the lifted turds at 10 MPH......I really don't see a stock height 4 seater rolling at slow to moderate speeds.

A jeep is much more roll happy....

We know you sold them....you tell us everytime these threads come up. I've now OWNED 5 of them (4 two seaters and now the 4 seater)

Stites bought my former polaris powered car with a lot of travel suspended by Fox air shocks and now his XP4.......We could of easily bought a POS older jeep.....there's a reason(s) why we didn't.

Vegas12

BAMF+
To my knowledge it’s not a low pressure tire.

And it’s pretty common for people to run 32s on these rzrs. I want to keep my as close to stock as possible for the time being.

I just cannot comprehend how a stiffer sidewall with higher inflation numbers can ride smoother than the basically ballon stock tires....no question regarding durability, and I really need to get a spare tire mount.....a flat in the middle of no where is always in the back of my mine..

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
what kind of range do these get? I would think an auxiliary fuel tank??? Then get some 3" pvc for the roof so you can carry some water like the overlanders do??

Snail

Vegas, my biggedt issue hot rodding is the soft tires wont hold the the sxs from wallowing on the corners, would the stiffer tires stiffen that up?

Its easy to roll them up on two wheels, and fun, but it would be faster on all 4.

Vegas12

BAMF+
what kind of range do these get? I would think an auxiliary fuel tank??? Then get some 3" pvc for the roof so you can carry some water like the overlanders do??

Obviously it depends on type of trails and pace....I've gone on rides 3 days in a row between 2-3 hours. Soooo maybe 120+ miles and I always have fuel left.

The bed holds a decent sized cooler, bigger moto-X bag with spare belt and tool case.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Vegas, my biggedt issue hot rodding is the soft tires wont hold the the sxs from wallowing on the corners, would the stiffer tires stiffen that up?

Its easy to roll them up on two wheels, and fun, but it would be faster on all 4.

I think your observation goes without saying....I'm addressing the softer ride comment.

Scott comments on the rocky terrain which I'm very familiar with locally. Utah seems to have far less rocks, but they're there along with tree roots and the occasional washout that appears from nowhere.....When I'm with the wife and another couple on a 3 hour tour, the ride is mo' important than going fast...

Squidwerd

Ze Squidwerd
Website
www.snoopdogg.com
Stop with the jeep bullshit that you've squawked about before.....there is absolutely no comparison.

Sure, if you like going up a trail at walking speed for fear of losing your fillings or pissing blood....get a jeep. There is absolutely no comparison between ride quality of a vehicle with 16" of independent suspension vs a stiffly sprung 4" of solid axle.

In Utah, the trails are limited to vehicles <72" wide....obviously no jeeps allowed.

It's not just the wooded trails that Stites shows....go to the dunes and count the number of Jeeps vs. SxS's.....no need to, you probably won't see any jeeps of any vintage.

Maybe you can roll the lifted turds at 10 MPH......I really don't see a stock height 4 seater rolling at slow to moderate speeds.

A jeep is much more roll happy....

We know you sold them....you tell us everytime these threads come up. I've now OWNED 5 of them (4 two seaters and now the 4 seater)

Stites bought my former polaris powered car with a lot of travel suspended by Fox air shocks and now his XP4.......We could of easily bought a POS older jeep.....there's a reason(s) why we didn't.
To be honest the trails here shit out razrs...

I sold them , I like them, but if you think they are rock crawlers, then I'm going brand loyalty has you cornered.

I wouldnt be so proud of my accomplishments had I not been flown to,that dirt farm you live in with all accommodations paid for.

Nice gift.

With all of my shit being thrown at you like monkeys, which you clearly started.

The fact you're upset that a jeep frame is heavier and more sound that a polaris frame is cute. The fact that you think I missed the mark by saying I wish I sold Polaris on the west coast, I would have preferred sending off units to ride as opposed to being in service for axles.

No matter how much money you spend on one of these things they are still a glorified 4 wheeler!

And maybe you need to sit on top of the frame with an extended steering wheel, and you could see past the Polaris emblem on the dash enough to see the still very large roll over risk, even at low speeds.

Vegas12

BAMF+
To be honest the trails here shit out razrs...

I sold them , I like them, but if you think they are rock crawlers, then I'm going brand loyalty has you cornered.

I wouldnt be so proud of my accomplishments had I not been flown to,that dirt farm you live in with all accommodations paid for.

Nice gift.

With all of my shit being thrown at you like monkeys, which you clearly started.

The fact you're upset that a jeep frame is heavier and more sound that a polaris frame is cute. The fact that you think I missed the mark by saying I wish I sold Polaris on the west coast, I would have preferred sending off units to ride as opposed to being in service for axles.

No matter how much money you spend on one of these things they are still a glorified 4 wheeler!

And maybe you need to sit on top of the frame with an extended steering wheel, and you could see past the Polaris emblem on the dash enough to see the still very large roll over risk, even at low speeds.

I'm not brand bias.....I'd love to have the Yamaha or the Yamaha powered Arctic Cat.....they, for whatever reason, don't make a 4 seater.

I DGAF if a jeep frame is stronger....I've never broken a SxS frame....Stites broke my old car, but that was an actual custom tube frame made by the guy who made P51 replicas....he was still driving it when he sold it....new owner discovered the crack.

Also DGAF about rock crawling......maybe the most boring of anything you can do with a motor vehicle.

Purely subjective, but I also think the dunes are boring.

For exploring the back country at a moderate to even a quick pace, a Jeep is not even in the equation.......

OP
Stites

Stites

Range depends on throttle and how much it’s needed. That said the dealer says they get about 10-12 mpg and it has a 9.5 gallon tank.

Vegas - I can’t argue the point with because other than cars I have ridden in I haven’t done it. They felt better and everyone else tells me it rides better. I honestly don’t give a shit as I am more concerned about the durability of the tire and it being more puncture proof coupled with longevity.

Squidwerd

Ze Squidwerd
Website
www.snoopdogg.com
I'm not brand bias.....I'd love to have the Yamaha or the Yamaha powered Arctic Cat.....they, for whatever reason, don't make a 4 seater.

I DGAF if a jeep frame is stronger....I've never broken a SxS frame....Stites broke my old car, but that was an actual custom tube frame made by the guy who made P51 replicas....he was still driving it when he sold it....new owner discovered the crack.

Also DGAF about rock crawling......maybe the most boring of anything you can do with a motor vehicle.

Purely subjective, but I also think the dunes are boring.

For exploring the back country at a moderate to even a quick pace, a Jeep is not even in the equation.......

I suppose I could use the same nana-nana boo-boo shit on you and ask how you can you walk with that Jeep stuck so far up your ass??
I'm not jeep biased I just felt a lot of the money poured into these machines was mis directed... The side by side market is amazing, and honestly over due... A lot of people treat apples like oranges..

I wouldn't hesitate to own one in your neck of the woods...
All,of,yalls pics look like a fun time... I enjoyed this thread and only chimed,in to both lament the things as well as agree to their functions... Having all same sized wheels and tires is perfect. Safety measures like the fire extinguishers are a great idea.. Seen a couple burned..
I'm not a big fan of rock,crawling, but this area is the place for such activity... A couple of guys in town make machines that cost double the price of a loaded razr, however I'm sure that you or I would covet the abilities tubular framed off road beasts posses.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Range depends on throttle and how much it’s needed. That said the dealer says they get about 10-12 mpg and it has a 9.5 gallon tank.

Vegas - I can’t argue the point with because other than cars I have ridden in I haven’t done it. They felt better and everyone else tells me it rides better. I honestly don’t give a shit as I am more concerned about the durability of the tire and it being more puncture proof coupled with longevity.

I'll defer to you when you get them....I'm going to go through my two sets before I even consider swapping them.

Top Bottom