SxS Thread

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
Who in here has one?

Been enjoying ours since we got it and taking it all kinds of cool places. My last one was only 4 x 2 and would dam near take me anywhere. Amazing how capable these transaxle 4 wheel independent machines are.

Here’s ours15299D00-7FE6-469A-9573-6F64FD92CBE4.jpeg

OP
Stites

Stites

I do dislike the Maxxis Bighorn tires. You could see wear after the first ride and had a knobby crack after the second ride.

Will eventually be switching to M1 Evils which bumps you from a 29 to a 30 but it’s a much better tire with less chance of puncturing a side wall

52138FD4-4142-4E02-820D-09DB8F9A8D28.jpeg

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I would dearly love to beat on one of those machines but, as much as I've come to hate driving due to my fucked up body, I don't believe I could survive it.

You guys do need to get busy producing some quality videos of the rides.
Maybe offset some of the operation costs if you make them entertaining enough to draw some viewers?

I just don't own enough property to justify one of those.
They are legal on county roads around here, but I live off of a state road. So I'd have to ride illegally for a mile or so to be free.

Stetson

BAMF+
I just don't own enough property to justify one of those.
They are legal on county roads around here, but I live off of a state road. So I'd have to ride illegally for a mile or so to be free.
Same deal. If I could get a plate on one, it would be a different story. Or If I lived further North, with more open land around. As it is, I'd have to trailer it (so, buy a trailer too) anywhere to have fun. :frown2:

OP
Stites

Stites

Same deal. If I could get a plate on one, it would be a different story. Or If I lived further North, with more open land around. As it is, I'd have to trailer it (so, buy a trailer too) anywhere to have fun. :frown2:
We live right by the trails so we get bored with the same trails all the time. We have been trailering it every weekend

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Mines Honda and its being used for a rapid response fire rig. Carrying 3 piss cans, and 3 sets of hand tools, 2 power saws, gas and earl, 2 fire extinguishers.

Comforting to know its there.

After fire season it will become my transportation to logging site, and a way to carry seedlings into planned reforestation plots.

Its a great work asset.

Snail

I should mention, if you're into doing cookies make sure you're in 2 wd, and fasten your harness.

I neglected to do the above and not only flipped the fucker, I shot out over the front and hit the ground like a carton of eggs.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Kinda looking for a small sxs for our toy hauler. Possibly a 50" rzr.
What's to look for with these?

I believe Polaris wants a belt change after a 1000 miles.....mine was fine at 1200 but I swapped it anyway, it's going to a new home as a spare.

Listen for suspension squeeks.....there's a lot of zerk fittings which the average owner neglects.

I think service history is huge and while I've been lax with documentation, I changed the oil @ 1000 miles and just did the trans and diff(two different products)at 1200....I was very surprised how black and thick the transmission oil was compared to the fresh stuff.....An 8mm allen will remove the fill plug and if full, you can easily inspect the oil.

I think I'll up the trans interval 750 miles.

Besides the normal anal stuff like compression test, you have enough experience to know if the car feels tight vs. a neglected POS.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I knew you would post up! Nice picture......love being in the pine trees
Poor Felicia was cold last night....I thought it was the perfect sleeping weather...

30's outside, 50 in the trailer.....I did turn the furnace on for her which bumped the temp to 60.

Supposed to be 70 today...FUCK the Vegas heat!!

I love mid-week trips....not another soul within miles.

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
My front has squeeked since day one.....think it's an articulation point?
I stand corrected.....I dont see any zerk fittings on my suspension.....I hit the one at the driveshaft when changing the belt...I could have sworn my 900 had suspension fittings.

I just jumped up and down on the front of my car and no squeeks....I'll update after today's ride.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. My buddy took me for a ride in his a few months ago out in the desert and it was a blast. I got to drive for a while too and was immediately hooked. My problem is I don't really have a place to store it. I'm thinking of selling my dirt bike and if I do I may be able to fit a side by side in my garage. I'm pretty sure I could fit a small one in my toy hauler so I've got that covered.

After breaking my back again I'm thinking of giving up riding motocross. So If I sell my dirt bike this would make a nice substitute.

OP
Stites

Stites

LMR - Not cheap by any means, and once bought there's a lot to do to ensure the rig is set-up to get you home in case of a flat or belt. You need coolers, tool bags and a roof.

We are looking at different tires, roofs, lighting and all kinds of other shit.

Stuman - Great friends and family fun and the best part is you are outdoors where many people can't get to

OP
Stites

Stites

If I was getting one it would be a Can Am. Way too many recalls on the Polaris machines (Sorry Scott) and the can am units are easier to work on.

I understand my friend.

That being said my work neighbor builds King of the Hammer cars and he’s worked on not RZR and CanAm and he felt all the tubing was way to thin in the CanAm.

Now I have several friends with CanAms who love the shit out of them. They are a appealing looking machine and every bit as capable as any other SxS out there

Vegas12

BAMF+
If I was getting one it would be a Can Am. Way too many recalls on the Polaris machines (Sorry Scott) and the can am units are easier to work on.

Would you mine terribly listing all these recalls on the XP 1000's....you have me worried now.

And what makes one easier than the other to work on??

I do 100% of the maintenance on mind...including a minor clutch modification and I don't find anything difficult...I did use a syringe to fill the front diff.....but I'm sure a funnel with a hose would have been find.

Last edited:
OP
Stites

Stites

So we decided before we add cool shit to the rzr like a radio or performance mods we needed to do all safety shit first coupled with anything to assist during a breakdown.

This fire extinguisher mount came in today. It has a quick release pin and mounts to cage and will come off in just a few seconds.

Working on new tires and a spare next.....did I mention I hate the big horns

D4C42061-8A64-4AE0-BCD5-59749784319F.jpeg

• Red
Reactions: Red

Vegas12

BAMF+
I understand my friend.

That being said my work neighbor builds King of the Hammer cars and he’s worked on not RZR and CanAm and he felt all the tubing was way to thin in the CanAm.

Now I have several friends with CanAms who love the shit out of them. They are a appealing looking machine and every bit as capable as any other SxS out there

Funny you should mention that....my personal SxS smith has said Can Am frames are pretzels.....but he also said the NEW Arctic Cat Wildcat with the Yamaha motor has the most stout frame....but they don't make a 4 seater

When Textron bought Arctic Cat, the most ignorant thing they could have done was keep the Wildcat name.....they do not have the best reputation.

Last edited:

llord2

BAM
An Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 when they first came out. Sold. Then an Arctic Cat WildCat X...fun as fuck. Like rally car racing on the right trails. Still have it. Just bought a Kawasaki Teryx in April. Haven't had a descent rip on the Teryx yet due to Chink Plague. Gearing up to go Hatfield-McCoyin' in 3 weeks.

Dameon

BAMF+
I was in line at the dealer to get one of the first Yamaha Rhinos to hit LA. As far as I know/remember, the Rhino started the "sport" SxS craze.

The chassis and drivetrain in the Rhino was a work of functional art. Rode like a Cadillac in the rough stuff and, aside from bottoming the chassis, you couldn't get it stuck. I'm sure the other manufacturers have caught up/surpassed the Rhino in technology, but as good as the Rhino was, I can't imagine what the new ones are like.

I sold the Rhino years ago. Aside from riding around on my land, LA had pretty much shut all offroading down. We had to travels hours just to get to decent trails.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
There is an asshole who drives one of those things around town. He got it registered in South Dakota where they are street legal. So, he can get away with driving it here in Floriduh... for now.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
So what it the best SxS for the desert? I want to get a two seater that is small enough to fit in my toy hauler.

The Yamaha XYZPDGLGBT one looks pretty cool :)

OP
Stites

Stites

So what it the best SxS for the desert? I want to get a two seater that is small enough to fit in my toy hauler.

The Yamaha XYZPDGLGBT one looks pretty cool :)

Something turbo if you plan on being in the sand. Lots of used 2 seaters to be had.....it’s the 4 seaters that are expensive and hard to get

Snail

Mines a 16 model 1000 Pioneer, single bench seat, with dump bed.. It has issues, like Drew mentioned in another thread, they shift rough and the throttle is very, very hard to feather.

But, its a work horse. Ive beat the shit out of it and it keeps right on going. Honda tough. I like it a lot.

r1racer

BAMF
In the northeast with mostly tight trails dirt bikes and quads make more sense.... outside of taking kids for joy ride don't see need for SXS.... but they sell so to each their own 👍

0314201513.jpg

0106201425b.jpg

1119181610a.jpg

Vegas12

BAMF+
I was in line at the dealer to get one of the first Yamaha Rhinos to hit LA. As far as I know/remember, the Rhino started the "sport" SxS craze.

The chassis and drivetrain in the Rhino was a work of functional art. Rode like a Cadillac in the rough stuff and, aside from bottoming the chassis, you couldn't get it stuck. I'm sure the other manufacturers have caught up/surpassed the Rhino in technology, but as good as the Rhino was, I can't imagine what the new ones are like.

I sold the Rhino years ago. Aside from riding around on my land, LA had pretty much shut all offroading down. We had to travels hours just to get to decent trails.

With its whopping 7" of travel, the Rhino was a glorified golf cart......basically a work/ranch SxS. You needed an additional $5,000+ to have a suspension worth a shit, and you could spend a lot more depending on the Shocks. The 670 single cylinder Raptor motor was a dog in the sled. So 15-16k after suspension for meh...and I always laughed at the dummies who did a long travel suspension without longer axles....though it wasn't that hard to get the axle splined back in, they realized quickly not to get any air!!

The 1st actual sport SxS was a private entity that used Polaris running gear called RidgeRunner....but they priced themselves out of the market @ $25k. That was the car I sold to Sites a few years back.

The 1st true sport SxS that was priced modestly was the RZR 800 S with 12" of travel and some actual balls.....made a Rhino feel like a goat wagon....They were about $1000 more than the Yamaha but well worth it if you wanted an actual off road car.

The current non-turbo 1000 with 16" of travel will do an honest 70MPH.....

Top Bottom