Swordfish

Billy V

BAMF
Nothing else comes close to the power and excitement of this fish.
- this one beat us up good.

The fish never took a foot of line the whole time, I hooked it 1200 feet down. Never fought on the way up just kept coming like a dog on a leash, so it had all it's strength to fuck us up. ....until it was 40 feet away when it jumped out of the water slashing. It stayed up trying to attack the boat and motor, we were constantly driving to keep it off us. This went on for over an hour.

Finally it got about 7 or 8 feet.
Harpooned it completely through twice, flying gaff in head, 2 straight gaffs and still bashing the boat slashing the bill over the gunnel at us...
It was so violent the impact flung one of it's eyeballs out of it's body and floated away. Even after we managed to get a tail rope it smashed along side the boat for 10 minutes. When it stopped moving we still gave it some time to be sure.
This one is winning the crazy fish award so far.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Why not just shoot the fish? A 20 gauge slug would calm it down a lot faster than making a pincushion out of it.

wormser77

BAMF+
Beauty fish!!
The one I got in cabo faught out in the water like mad. Would come completely out of the water, awesome sight! The little 120lb deck hand yanked it right on board like a boss after gaffing it.
Wasn't bad eating either.

wormser77

BAMF+
Also mine was a sailfish. Slender long fish.
What's the difference between a sword fish and a marlin? They look very similar, maybe the marlin has a shorter nose?

OP
Billy V

Billy V

BAMF
The broadbill swordfish is the most powerful fish in the ocean. I have harpoon them completely through the body, only to have them swim back down 1000 feet and go have lunch.
Very dangerous fish to have alongside the boat, it will actively attack the boat. The bill is razor sharp and usually 4 to 6 feet long.

- There are only two ways to catch them. One is to harpoon them while they are finning on the surface. With that method you need to glass for them with Gyro-binoculars from the tower of a plank boat. Usually with the aide of a spotter plane.

The other is to drop down between 1000 and 1600 feet deep using 10 pounds of lead and a size 10/0 - 20/0 hook, with a large squid.
The hook has to be stitched into the squid because the swordfish will wack the bait a few times kill it.
Then eat it....maybe.

It’s common for a battle to go on for hours, and over the distance of several miles.
When you hooked them down deep they swim that 10 pound lead up like it’s not even there to see what they are attached to, then attack your boat.
A flying gaff is a Must - but even then it's no guarantee!
I saw one gaffed in the head last week that tore it's body from head to tail, and got off the gaff. They fought it for another hour before the hook pulled.

Lots of things can happen, got to be careful.
One guy will have to drive the whole time, another will stay on the Rod and fight the fish, a 3rd person would be a big help to Gaff or Dart the fish. Yesterday we had 2.
----------------

Last edited:

Ed

Nice! Caught a billfish a few years ago (sailfish, I believe- there are pics of it here) in Costa Rica that was only a fraction of that size, and it was an ill-tempered bitch for sure.

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
Good read....I have seen video of such crazy attacks.....but have never experienced one.
Looks like a tasty bastard😁

Sword fish meat is very good and tasty, you can fry it, broil it, smoke it and smoke and hang dry it.

My friend Chuck lives in Vista Calif and I always tell him about you cause my friend likes to go out on a charter boat in San Diego and take his grand son Ocean fishing.

Austin_F

BAMF+
I've only had swordfish frozen from the grocery store.

Which probably isn't too bad if it was caught and frozen as quickly as snail freezes tuna.

OP
Billy V

Billy V

BAMF
Sword fish meat is very good and tasty, you can fry it, broil it, smoke it and smoke and hang dry it.

My friend Chuck lives in Vista Calif and I always tell him about you cause my friend likes to go out on a charter boat in San Diego and take his grand son Ocean fishing.
There are some good private charter guys down here. Lots of different types of fishing, from rockfish to giant tuna.

Top Bottom