Suzuki Ends Hayabusa Production

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Suzuki has confirmed that a living legend in its range – the Hayabusa – will be taken off the market at the end of December, almost exactly 20 years after it made its debut as the world’s fastest production bike.

The bike, which is still largely similar to the original 1999 model despite a fairly hefty revamp in 2008, doesn’t meet the Euro4 emissions limits and other rules introduced as part of EU Regulation 168/2013. Those rules all came into force on 1st January 2016, but manufacturers were given a two year period of grace to sell remaining stocks of non-compliant models. That period ends on 31st December 2018, after which it will be illegal to sell the Hayabusa as a new bike in Europe.

With much of the world, including Japan, adopting emissions rules that match Euro4 limits, the Hayabusa has been effectively driven into extinction. The model’s last significant holdout will be the American market, where it remains on sale next year, although with production in Japan having been discontinued the Hayabusa’s remaining lifespan in the States will be decided by stock levels.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Is that a fake news site?

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Is that a fake news site?
Bennett's? No- they're reporting it as an announcement from Suzuki. As far as I know, it's real- the Euro-4 emissions requirements mean either adapt or die, and apparently the Busa isn't going to be adapted.

TurboBlew

BAMF+
Website
www.youfuckmyleftovers.com
What is a Hayabusa? And why should I be concerned? :cool::fu:
yes you should be worried. It gave 40 somethings who are now 60 something a reason to ride! :D
Of course they could handle it...lol

In honor of its demise there is a special event happening @ Bikeland.oRg. Sign up now and receive a special bonus.
Hurry offer ends Dec 31!

If my knees weren't shot, and if I weren't so goddamned fat, I'd buy one. I probably still wouldn't ride it much because of the cell phone talkers on the roads. But as it stands right now, I can't even pretend to ride one.

BigGar

high on placebo
If my knees weren't shot, and if I weren't so goddamned fat, I'd buy one. I probably still wouldn't ride it much because of the cell phone talkers on the roads. But as it stands right now, I can't even pretend to ride one.
That's probably what all the Harley riders said two decades ago. Back when they were our age!!

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Maybe if Suzuki built Cunt Cycles out of GiggaBusa's, you geezers would buy them.

Stetson

BAMF
Does this mean used ones will get cheaper or go up?

RobBase

BAMF

The Hayabusa coming to an end is sad,
but what's really sad is this almost 20 year old pic
still feels to me like it was 6 or 7 years ago.

P.S. socks with sandals......always have, always will.

Attachments

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
Sad yes, but if there are no plans to respect the legend by evolving it as a proper bike and instead just keep feeding a fed horse for the sake of sales like they've been doing for the last 10 years...

...then this is the right thing to do.

No BOLD NEW GRAPHICS?:eek:

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind trying an Uglyboosa, but I don't ride my 14 that much anymore. Buying another bike seems pointless.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
time.. it has been out dated and has not really been THE bike to have in a while..

Sayre

po no mo
Santa Clara, CA, via Bum-Fuck-Egypt, Louisiana
The dominos are starting to fall all over the place...

...2026 will be the final generation of VW combustion engines.

Does anybody ever bother to read the whole article anymore?

It's coming back in a year or two.

We wrote about what’s in store for the next-generation Hayabusa back in January 2018 (here), and while it’s not going to be ready in time for the 2019 model range as was previously hoped, the other information we had remains accurate. Its shape is was previewed with the 2015 Concept GSX styling model, and the engine is set to grow to more than 1400cc to put it on a par with the 1441cc Kawasaki ZZ-R1400.

When will we see the new bike? Suzuki is planning to launch at least 10 new models over the next three years, and the Hayabusa will surely be one of them, probably appearing sooner rather than later. The firm recently applied for new trademark rights on the Hayabusa name and logo, not only for motorcycles but also for clothing and merchandise, suggesting there will be a big marketing push around the new model. And as the newly-released Katana shows, Suzuki has no qualms about reviving its famous model names even when they’ve been buried for a while.

VFR Rider

BAMF
New trademark rights for a new logo, as well and clothing and merchandise??? Sounds like another famous brand that is now struggling with a declining market demographic. :neutral:

pimpslayer

BAMF+
New trademark rights for a new logo, as well and clothing and merchandise??? Sounds like another famous brand that is now struggling with a declining market demographic. :neutral:
Have you seen what Ducati did with the Scrambler line?

Turned what should have been (and is) an entry level bike into a Brand within the Brand. Even grew it with 2 other engines...now available as 400,800 and 1100.

Clothing, helmets, accessories, etc...it's all there.

(Personally, I wouldn't hit a sick dog in the ass with one, but Oh well...)

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
smashed it with a very fragile hammer...

Hayabusa's won the war of words... by sheer numbers...

even if certain Zed Ex's could get wind up like a mutha' fucker ...

The BOOOSA' is still the Worlds First Hyperbike... period.

everything else will always be #2...

DaCat

BAMF
Here I still see more Busas on the road than 12's.

I like both and would be happy to own both.

As for Suzuki's future, I doubt it's just the Busa engine that will struggle to meet the new bullshit emissions. Quite a bit of R&D (re. money) required to take them all to the next level.

And after all that effort by the factory, as soon as we get them we modify the fuck out of them and piss on the regulations anyway. :roll:

chuck356

BAMF
Sad to see an icon die off, ever if it were not my flavor. The sales of Hyperbikes has tapered off to only a trickle, I haven't sold a ZX14 for two years, I was averaging 3 or so a year for a while. Hell, I sold 6 or 8 in 2008. The powersports industry is hurting, and Hyperbikes are one of the hardest hit.

BilletMan

Makes Chips and Rapid Conversaion
Sad to see an icon die off, ever if it were not my flavor. The sales of Hyperbikes has tapered off to only a trickle, I haven't sold a ZX14 for two years, I was averaging 3 or so a year for a while. Hell, I sold 6 or 8 in 2008. The powersports industry is hurting, and Hyperbikes are one of the hardest hit.
There ya go. Finally the voice of reason. This sounds plausible...

Fuck, I bought 3 of them myself.:lol:

simon520

Fixes humans and shoots everything else
Ok guys- nice talking to you. See you around, I guess?

��

tinhead

3 Busas + 2 large balls
The dominos are starting to fall all over the place...

...2026 will be the final generation of VW combustion engines.
VW owns Ducati.
Buy a few new Ducatis for the collector value after 2026. :lol:

At the dealer I work at, side by side sales are keeping the dealership afloat.

Sure did, thanks for all the business through the years. Keeps my skinny buddy up north honest!
You mean the guy I've been driving past for 25 years to get to your shop?:lol:

Thank you for all the great service!:D

I do miss all the Busa vs. ZX-12 banter though. Great times for sure.

Top Bottom