Supermoto today in Reno

Stites

Schiavo is my bitch
Practice today race tomorrow. Had a tiny little highside, but otherwise fine. Need a new Bombay sticker now though.
You must of bumped your head……apparently he forgot about the part where after he decided to take Superman’s job (he crashed at that to) that you need a cape to fly. He flew but not very long……then a certain KTM with really good brakes and a fat kid did their dam best not to run over the failed Superman. Fat kid however did do an epic Jason Brittan style stoppie to avoid using Maui as a rock to jump the KTM into the next universe

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
You must of bumped your head……apparently he forgot about the part where after he decided to take Superman’s job (he crashed at that to) that you need a cape to fly. He flew but not very long……then a certain KTM with really good brakes and a fat kid did their dam best not to run over the failed Superman. Fat kid however did do an epic Jason Brittan style stoppie to avoid using Maui as a rock to jump the KTM into the next universe
I still think I beat the guy to the turn...just minus the bike

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Is it just me or is that end cap on the R6 muffler upside down looking? Why does it almost have an underbite? Please remedy that with overzealous cutoff wheel or reciprocating saw therapy.
all that shit is coming off. thats my new race bike. I'll start a thread when I tear into it more. But tomorrow is a race day, and Monday I have a few other pressing issues to address...

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Headed back today for races. Yesterday was interesting, 12-15(?) 450s showed up, a few good riders, lots wanting to be. Not sure on the schedule as they aren't either, but it could be between 8 and 12 laps a heat. 12 laps is a garantee lap traffic situation, some of the slower riders will be trying to not go a lap down while leaders are actually racing. The possibility for rough passing to happen gets high.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...is that you...???...Cool Breeze Racing...???...

...the name seems......ironic...

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Actually I think that race had 6-7 entries and it was very competitive. I crashed out of that race. The 1st place guy qualified second and I think Jeff qualified third, both worked their ass to get on the podium.
I did work at getting on that Podium, I had to grab the chain link fence on the side of it to get up there...its way too fucking tall. I swear to god I was gonna break my hip getting down off that thing and that would have been the end of me.

Stites

Schiavo is my bitch
So my race weekend went something like this. I was pretty anxious on Sunday before qualifying all the way up to race start. I have done lots of track days and battled with people on track, but nothing at race pace and wasn’t sure what to expect.

Our kart track is not an aggregate style track but instead it’s a slurry seal and to this day I have never really gotten used to it. I love me some dirt bike riding and the bike stepping out on you and expect it, however I still have not gotten used to how much the rear steps out on this track. It’s something I am expecting more and more and getting more comfortable with, but not 100%, yet!

At any rate I qualified in 3rd for my first race and 5th for my second race with my best lap time being a 56.9. It was explained in the riders meeting that we would be doing a GP style start. Red lights come on and when they go out you go!! As I left the pits for the final call of my race I finally felt calm. I knew what needed to be done and in my mind the only acceptable outcome was a podium.

We grid the red light comes on and I turned the revs up on the big KTM. The engine is now racing as is my heart, my first race ever is about to begin. Lights go out and the front wheel comes up and I motor passed everyone and take the lead into turn one. As I left the line Stuart a friend and the flagger that day was pumping his fist at my start. Stuart is an avid track/motorcycle guy and is from Isle of Man and plans on racing in the next Isle of Man race.

As I take my lead into turns 1-2-3-4 and 5 I can hear the number one qualifier behind me and all over my ass. He is a much faster rider than me and I honestly had little chance of beating him unless he crashed out. Took my lead into 6 when I saw the red flags. I turned and saw no one down. I couldn’t figure out what the fuck was going on. Pull up to grid and set up in 3rd position and ask what happened and the race director tells me half the field didn’t know when to go. I told him that’s their fault as I was paying attention in the meeting and they were not.

We re-grid and the light goes out and I fucking stall the bitch and watch the entire field go by as I restart the bike. I was able to get back into 3rd and couldn’t advance any further as the 2nd and 1st place riders were way to ahead. If did have my best lap of the weekend during the race of 55.9…..track record for bikes is 53.2.

Crossing the line in my first race
0B07F7A2-7803-41E8-9010-7ECF1AB9873E.jpeg

Second race happened about 10 minutes after my first race. After a conversation with the race director telling him in the nicest possible way that what happened was absolute bull shit I made my way back to our pit as they had made the second call and Jeff and Joe were already ready to go.

I grid in 5th and Jeff was in 3rd so he was right in front of me. Light goes out and I am on a mission to beat Jeff to turn one. Mission accomplished except I didn’t make the turn, way to fucking hot and once I hit the brakes I knew I had to miss another racer named Igor who was a Brazilian kid from the Bay Area. Once on brakes I barely missed hitting Igors rear tire and Jeff hit the brakes and let me slide by. As he said it he let the fucking bowling bowl go on buy and then carried on with the race. As I slid off track I had em locked up in the dirt and kept her upright until the wall got close and I bailed. Jumped up and picked the bike up and was going to get back on track but she wouldn’t start so I pushed it out of the impact area and told the corner worker I was out. They restarted the race.

All in all I gained some valuable experience, had a fucking blast and now know that turn 1 in a SuperMoto race always has the possibility to be a total shit show.

5AB20E89-4548-46F4-8995-25438939A1CE.jpeg1318C0F9-94DA-4E56-8035-5A3BADF9BF4C.jpeg

Last edited:

Stites

Schiavo is my bitch
Sounds like a good bit of fun. I guess we're going to go to IOMTT as pit crew next year?
Nope Stu isn’t looking for a pit crew as his own words were I have a whole island of family and friends that want to put for me and I ain’t babysitting anyone. Get your own fucking car, plane ticket and hotel.

He’s an awesome guy and super funny……yesterday as I would go pass the tower every once and awhile he would hide a well placed salute. Had me laughing in my helmet

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
he let the fucking bowling bowl go on buy and then carried on with the race. As I slid off track
nothing like blowing through turn one on your first race...though actually it was your second. You did correct me and say it was a gutter ball though because you didn't take out any of the two wheeled pins.

the Brazilian kid actually hit my tire on the restart.

So you got to see what happens when you crush it on the start
You got to see what happens when you stall
You got to see what happens in turn 1.

All in all a damn good introduction into the sport and it might just save you a little when you get to the big track next time. Blowing 1 at the kart track v blowing 1 at Thunderhill not exactly the same movie.

You were robbed on that first start, I was in the bleachers, EVERY-FUCKING-ONE said that was a bullshit call. On a scale of 1-10 though for what happened, good start, bad start, crash start, you covered a lot of shit there so good job. A 9/10s day for sure.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Nope Stu isn’t looking for a pit crew as his own words were I have a whole island of family and friends that want to put for me and I ain’t babysitting anyone. Get your own fucking car, plane ticket and hotel.

He’s an awesome guy and super funny……yesterday as I would go pass the tower every once and awhile he would hide a well placed salute. Had me laughing in my helmet
techincally Stu did say I was the only one allowed to help him, I could hand him water. He said other than that "fuck all you bloody cunts!"

also to get that reaction from him on the start was really pretty funny.

Top Bottom