Springfield Armory 2020

OP
jhinderliter

jhinderliter

BAMF+
The barrel is supposed to run cooler , this generation of pencil thin barrels on the savage axis and the like shoots like shit after 3 rounds ..

the stock felt pretty sturdy in the hands ...

it has been occupying my thoughts since I rang the 300 yard gong the first time I shot it..

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The barrel is supposed to run cooler , this generation of pencil this barrels on the savage axis and the like shoots like shit after 3 rounds ..

it has been occupying my thoughts since I rang the 300 yard gong the first time I shot it..
How about recoil, any increase felt due to lack of mass?

rumble phish

BAMF+
The barrel is supposed to run cooler , this generation of pencil thin barrels on the savage axis and the like shoots like shit after 3 rounds ..

The Axis is a hunting rifle. Something you're not going to be making many successive shots with. Sight it in and you'll maybe take 3 shots with it all season. maybe.

rumble phish

BAMF+
.75 MOA guaranteed? Wow, that's a pretty stout claim. If it can truly achieve that, after 10 successive shots, that would be seriously impressive. Recoil shouldn't be too bad with that brake on it. My Ruger American Predator in .308 is less than 8 lbs with the scope, brake and sling mounted. The felt recoil is minimal mainly due to the decent brake. I've hit 10 successive shots on a 6" plate at 400 yards with it, prone. Not quite .75 MOA, but pretty fookin' good for a sub $500 rifle, all in. :up:

Stetson

BAMF+
I thought you guys hated SA. Every time I mentioned them, even their fantastic warranty, you guys swung your purses at me.
When they were releasing their G.I. copy .45, I wanted one, but didn't do a ton of research. I worked with a guy with an FFL, and ordered one. I was a bit disappointed to see "Imbel Made in Brazil" in the frame when I got it. :frown2:

Still can’t stop thinking about it 😎

strongly considering buying one , maybee even shooting it after I buy it ...
If it helps you make up your mind, I'll give you half what you pay for it, if you buy it and don't like it. You pay shipping. :ducmanic:

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
The Shooting community was mad at SA for supporting anti legislation.

That whole story looks like a bunch of knee-jerking going on for no good reason. Sounds like a useless Act from the State of Illinois because a Federal License is already required. 🤔

The act would require that all Illinois firearms dealers be licensed at the federal level as well as at the state level. Currently, federal level licensing is already required.

OP
jhinderliter

jhinderliter

BAMF+
The Axis is a hunting rifle. Something you're not going to be making many successive shots with. Sight it in and you'll maybe take 3 shots with it all season. maybe.
Illinois deer hunting involves pistols , muzzleloaders and shotguns ...

I spend a decent amount of time at the range every fall with my rigs either re verifying zeros , zeroing new rig/load/scope combos and staying sharp on my long range stuff , shooting a 20 gauge or a 50 cal muzzleloader 300 yards is a perishable skill 👍

after our last tour a few of us decided we were going to hunt out west , so we all went out and bought 308 bolt guns ... one guy bought the savage axis , I bought the ruger American and the one upper in the group bought a gussied up howa ... all of em had #2 contour barrels ..

range day comes and it’s a shit show , my ruger is broken , brand new out of the box , one of the pins that held the trigger assembly in had cracked the mount when it got pressed in at the factory ...

it was a hot summer day , dad had brought the chrony so we could start working data for the leupold CDS system ...

those groups went to shit from cold bore within 3 Rounds , they let em cool , we kept em in the shade ...

they never got a group that I would take hunting ...

my friends tore their rifles down and sent the barrels in for cryo treatment with high hopes..

the guy with the savage swears up and down that he now owns the best shooting savage axis on the planet after the cryo treatment , but he is kind of a BSer , and not much of a long range shooter...

the guy with the Howa said the cryo helped , and that he was more confident with his cold bore shot but admitted to me last month that he sent it off for a #4 fluted barrel ...

Ruger replaced my gun , sent me a new one in the box .....
it’s still new in the box ...

ive kinda been waiting for something like this to come along 👍

Top Bottom