Sport bikes

VFR Rider

BAMF
I do miss riding sport bikes. The purity of purpose and the ridiculous level of performance provided is like no other bike I have ever ridden. A well sorted sport bike on the track is an adrenaline rush like no other. I spent many years doing track days and riding like an idiot on twisting public roads and feel like I beat the odds too many times. Had a couple accidents and walked away from both with minor injuries. Switched to middleweight sport touring bikes which are still capable of putting a big grin on my face, but at a slower pace. Now I am more interested in long days in the saddle, exploring new roads and revisiting old ones in the mountains of TN, GA and NC. As I have gotten older I have slowed my pace, am more selective about who I ride with and often prefer to go solo on long trips.

Still miss sport bikes and the feeling they provide but for me the sun has set on those days. Still as passionate about bikes and riding as ever.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Priorities change and tastes mellow with time.

Squirting around on my GSXR 750 was exhilarating to say the least but, those days are behind me.

The only way I'd get on such a creature now would be on a track.
Just too many variables on the street to manage.

Still not interested in a full blown touring bike but, I do look at them from time to time.

I'm satisfied with my standard for now and will be ecstatic once I have it rolling under it's own power again.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
The Indian FTR 1200 is a great bike to tear ass with.
A Yamaha XSR900 isn't much less bike for $5k less cash.

It would take a $30k+ exoticabike to out-pose me on either one. :biggrin1a: :turboblew::fever500:

tinhead

Has never named a pet
One thing Yamaha needs is black bolt heads. The shiny heads, especially on the right side of the motor, really messed up the visual flow.

DUCHUNTER

"I am Jacks _______"
Did a few hours on the Ducati Sunday- My right knee bitched about it. I hydrated, all is well.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
My 02 SE still makes me grin more than any other bike. Ill never sell it. I enjoy my Africa Twin, but it isnt the same greatt rush I get when I ride my Busa. Thw black ones are the fastest.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I kinda feel the opposite. I spend short periods of time on my sport bikes more that I do long trips on my Concours.

Riding fast on the track is easier for me than doing a long ride on the street. My back starts hurting and I get pretty uncomfortable after an hour or two in the saddle.

I can go out on my sport bike and rip for a 20 minute session on the track and feel fine. Also short rides on the street on my sport bike are nice. I cruise down to the beach or a quick trip on Ortega Highway on my Panigale on weekends.

I used to like doing longer rides on my Concours, but now I just use it to commute to work. Haven't done a really long ride in years.

I do miss riding sport bikes. The purity of purpose and the ridiculous level of performance provided is like no other bike I have ever ridden. A well sorted sport bike on the track is an adrenaline rush like no other. I spent many years doing track days and riding like an idiot on twisting public roads and feel like I beat the odds too many times. Had a couple accidents and walked away from both with minor injuries. Switched to middleweight sport touring bikes which are still capable of putting a big grin on my face, but at a slower pace. Now I am more interested in long days in the saddle, exploring new roads and revisiting old ones in the mountains of TN, GA and NC. As I have gotten older I have slowed my pace, am more selective about who I ride with and often prefer to go solo on long trips.

Still miss sport bikes and the feeling they provide but for me the sun has set on those days. Still as passionate about bikes and riding as ever.
Wasn't the VFR almost the perfect blend of sportbike / sport touring bike?
Good performance and more comfort than a feet forward cruiser?
Slight leaned forward position to reduce weight in the saddle?

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Funny you bring this up.. made a bunch a cash these last three months so I took out the KTM out for a ride.. ended up at the dealership .... i walked out with out buying the Duc street fighter but something tells me I might be back.

OP
VFR Rider

VFR Rider

BAMF
Wasn't the VFR almost the perfect blend of sportbike / sport touring bike?
Good performance and more comfort than a feet forward cruiser?
Slight leaned forward position to reduce weight in the saddle?
I really enjoyed mine. Was my first bike many years ago. Bought it new and put 45,000 miles on it before selling it to a friend. Superb reliability and loved the smoothness of the V4. Middleweight sport tourers have always been my favorite type of bike. They can carry you and your things in comfort for days at a time and still be a lot of fun in the twisties. My current rides.......
Ninja 1000.jpgIMG_2788.JPG

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I think something like a Kawasaki ZRX1100 would be a good all around turd cycle. Not too heavy, decent power, doesn't look stupid, until some asshat hangs saddle bags and a trunk on it. I wouldn't mine having one to sit by all the other motorcycles I don't ride.
My scootah is just so fucking handy to ride around, everything else sits and waits.
Riding that '66 Vespa... now that's an "Adventure" bike! You don't know what's going to happen on it next, or when. Done the Walk Of Shame with it a few tymes. Finally had to dig the fuel petcock out of the body work and replace the face seal in it, the old one was crumbling and clogging stuff up.

r1racer

BAM
Yes, yes I am, the gentleman's speed king .. surprised many a booosa owner I have .. :up:
I know her well... In 97 bought my 1st brand spankin new bike, from Bob's Honda in Mamaroneck. Bob was my dads buddy from high school, was in his wedding party etc., gave me a screaming deal.

Had the blackbird for couple years along with a 4th gen VFR until the elusive R1 came out...

DSCN0351.JPG
DSCN0262.JPG

Last edited:
Yes,,,,, Yes they are. 😈👍 Damn, what an improvement. Wonder why Indian restricted it so much, probably emissions Id guess.
View attachment 37084

Stock is limited top 122 Mph. ____ A bit faster with ECU flash.
Top of 5th gear and didn't go for 6th due to oncoming car in the distance.
Couldn't be sure if it was a cop and over 200 mph closing speed.

C. Dolan

BAMF+
Been seeing that in some " entry level " bikes as well.

Top speed is the same on my 400 Ninja , 650 Ninja and FZ 07 at 120 mph.

Other bikes in that size range hitting 135 Mph on my KTM 790, 149 Mph on my Daytona 675 and Ninja 636.

Will try KTM 890 in Borrego when the temps come back down below 90 deg.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
It got up to 78* here yesterday, I had to shed my woolen long johns. Low of 60* last night. Light hwy traffic. Time to renew insurance on bikes.

Top Bottom