Speaking of Harleys I just bought this.

Looks like it's gonna be project Road King deux.
$5k, 2010, 32k miles. Same price I paid for the last one, in 2012.
He even gave me a Harbor Freight bike lift.
Plans are take it as it goes, not get impatient. Think I want to end up with zero chrome, aftermarket wheels, and a bunch of street glide trim, hard bags of course.
roadking2010.jpg

......more to come.

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
Plans are take it as it goes, not get impatient. Think I want to end up with zero chrome, aftermarket wheels, and a bunch of street glide trim, hard bags of course.
View attachment 61833

......more to come.
That seems like a bargain to me ๐Ÿ‘

OP
braindead_organdonor
That seems like a bargain to me ๐Ÿ‘
He posted it on the facebook, I knew I had to get in the truck and go right away, they were blowing up his phone.
It is a good deal, but i knew it wasn't gonna be perfect.... I could probably squeeze $7k outta somebody as is after a day on my lift cleaning and picking over it.

Ninjaman12R

He posted it on the facebook, I knew I had to get in the truck and go right away, they were blowing up his phone.
It is a good deal, but i knew it wasn't gonna be perfect.... I could probably squeeze $7k outta somebody as is after a day on my lift cleaning and picking over it.
I honestly think $7500 to $8k is not a stretch. I looked on motohunt for shits and giggles, in a 500 mile radius from me the lowest price RK classic (of that vintage) was $9900 with 38k miles. You did alright for sure...๐Ÿ‘

I'd love to piece together a glide with everything blacked out, nothing too crazy, just a project to tinker with. I have very little knowledge of wrenching on Harleys. Mine has been oil changes, and cleaning the air filter. (Not complaining ๐Ÿ˜€)

OP
braindead_organdonor
I rode it 80 miles home today. It needs tuned, has a warped front rotor and a few cosmetic issues to pass the bar for me if I want to flip it. If I keep it it would take much more. Of course it's dirty too. I was at a stoplight and some young dudes in a truck told me they liked it....lol.

OP
braindead_organdonor
Fuel controller?
That exhaust needs to be on anyone but me's bike anyway. It's hella noisy.
It's a bagger and I'm a purist...the exhaust is supposed to go out the back.
No fuel controller. It could have a download of sorts in it, but it's a little off on certain throttle positions.

What all do you have done to yours?

OP
braindead_organdonor
No but I sold the Harbor Freight lift pretty quick. Now we are $4800 in.
I'll try keep a running tab. I always say that and usually lose track. The last one I definitely made money, but I was working at Harley shops back then.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I couldnt put a value on it if you gave me multiple choices... once I had to sell a sportster with 500 miles on it... Priced it at $5500obo... sold it for $4600ish
Had alot of people upset about the $5500 price for some reason.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
/---/
I just about got sick when I saw the exhaust on your RK...what the hell was he thinking?

I would think it would be easier to sell a RK with a stockish exhaust on it...probably a lot of them on CL or Ebay.

OP
braindead_organdonor
I couldnt put a value on it if you gave me multiple choices... once I had to sell a sportster with 500 miles on it... Priced it at $5500obo... sold it for $4600ish
Had alot of people upset about the $5500 price for some reason.
It cost a lot more than a Sportster did when it was new.

OP
braindead_organdonor
I just about got sick when I saw the exhaust on your RK...what the hell was he thinking?
I would think it would be easier to sell a RK with a stockish exhaust on it...probably a lot of them on CL or Ebay.
I have a headpipe for it but already put the feelers out there for someone that wants to trade or buy the Vance and Hines.
I'm fine with a gutted cat headpipe and some decent slip ons.

Ninjaman12R

No fuel controller. It could have a download of sorts in it, but it's a little off on certain throttle positions.

What all do you have done to yours?
Bone stock with the exception on slip-ons. They're nice and mellow, not loud. I was wondering if the pipes on yours might be the reason you were saying it needed a tune. Stock exhaust might smooth it out?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I rode it 80 miles home today. It needs tuned, has a warped front rotor and a few cosmetic issues to pass the bar for me if I want to flip it. If I keep it it would take much more. Of course it's dirty too. I was at a stoplight and some young dudes in a truck told me they liked it....lol.
The Dyno Junk Power Vision is a good tool, no tacky box Obama Rigged onto it. A bit expensive, but it does it all, tunes, diagnostics, allows you to fuck it up royally if you want. You could use it on a dozen Harleys a day, just have to pay a license fee for each.

OP
braindead_organdonor
Hey organdonor, what could you do with this Road King Police model some idiot painted John Deere green? for sale near Little Rock....
Depends on budget, it's an FL chassis I could do anything u want with it, make it a street glide clone if you want or just refine that look more tastefully. That metal doesn't look bad, just the paint and missing bags.
I don't prefer the 01 and older for builds but I have done some. I would never buy one.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
View attachment 61833

......more to come.
I want a Road King, but I want an Evo Road King. Not a fan of the TC engines. They throw too much heat into the crotchal area. And I perfer the simplicity of the old single cam config.

S.C.

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP
braindead_organdonor
I want a Road King, but I want an Evo Road King. Not a fan of the TC engines. They throw too much heat into the crotchal area. And I perfer the simplicity of the old single cam config.

S.C.
We could debate for days and still no one will be completely correct.
I will tell you this about 2007 and newer twin cam drivetrains.......fluid leaks and cam chain tensioners problems are rare issues on those.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I bet even MC would ride this back and forth to work, a '98 Sportster Street Tracker

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Un
I bet even MC would ride this back and forth to work, a '98 Sportster Street Tracker

less it's raining, that front wheel would throw up enough water to drown you. I have an XS650 "Street Tracker".

OP
braindead_organdonor
I still can't figure out the tall handlebars thing. Looks good otherwise.
They are exactly the right height for me. I don't get that people don't get it. I never used to get it either until I did.
Straight arm with slight elbow bend is how you ride most motorcycles. Why the hell with a cruiser do they think you need bent elbows? Cruisers look dumb with drag bars so we have these so called apehangers, Properly sized they are quite freakin' nice.

It's like when you have been driving the car for a long time, doesn't it feel great to kick the seat back a little and straight arm the steering wheel?

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
They are exactly the right height for me. I don't get that people don't get it. I never used to get it either until I did.
Straight arm with slight elbow bend is how you ride most motorcycles. Why the hell with a cruiser do they think you need bent elbows? Cruisers look dumb with drag bars so we have these so called apehangers, Properly sized they are quite freakin' nice.

It's like when you have been driving the car for a long time, doesn't it feel great to kick the seat back a little and straight arm the steering wheel?
Itโ€™s about Control. And you will never see a race car driver with his arms straight out.

Top Bottom