SpaceX STARSHIP

busa10

BAMF
Definitely does not look smooth. You would think so many poor looking seams would cause aerodynamic drag. Maybe this one is a functionality testing mule?

Austin_F

BAMF+
its seriously being built in a field? it looks like a movie prop for a sub 5mm movie.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I read that they were going to go with carbon but decided on the heavier stainless steel due to cost, better heat resistance and "rush to get things done".

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
cool shit, can't wait to see him try and fly that thing. I think the mark 1 is more of a proof of concept and not really much more the what they did with the star hopper which retired after just a couple hops.

He's already talking about the MK5 etc...

re the little town, the Texas legislature has granted eminent domain in the case of "space ports". Space x has a 3x offer on the table for each resident right now. If the go eminent domain they might get actual value.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
starship will have roughly the swept pressurized area of the International Space Station (more I think)...each time it goes up.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
impressive shit....:up:

big week for SpaceX

Bezos is probably frothing at the mouth right now spitting at the screen

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
no the first was a proof of concept, this is more a test flight of the proposed vehicle (part of it). If they pull this off which is looking promising, SpaceX could land 100 metric tons on the moon. NASA's Artemis project moon lander could actually be "cargo" inside of Starship and they could probably fly it back and do a propulsive landing on the White House lawn.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I don't think they've done it with that giant Buck Rogers looking motherfucker though
Ahhh... Okay. But was it just me, or did that not look "real"? I know it was, it just looked like some cheesy special effects from the 90's, ya know? Reality is more interesting than science fiction, and it's scary how many things they've predicted/gotten right in sci-fi over the years.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
considering they're building this in the open and pretty much anyone who wants to can go watch it, I think its pretty real.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
another thing thats impressive is that they did the flight with only one of the three engines the ship is designed to fly with. That left the single engine off set meaning they had to fly and land at an angle. The equivalent of trying to pick up a three legged chair by one leg.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Is that why it veered to the left?

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Is that why it veered to the left?
my guess is yes, it was well known that it would have to immediately regain attitude with an off set engine. Considering how heavy it was and that it was basically a flying bomb, it's almost like they tried to prove a point...

you know who hates this shit is Bezos who has spent an untold amount of money and has yet to actually reach orbit. SpaceX was like hey, watch this....but they pulled it off.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
Ahhh... Okay. But was it just me, or did that not look "real"? I know it was, it just looked like some cheesy special effects from the 90's, ya know? Reality is more interesting than science fiction, and it's scary how many things they've predicted/gotten right in sci-fi over the years.
Nothing that SpaceX does looks "real"

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Veering to the left was needed to get over to the landing pad. You can see the target pad clearly before the launch.
while the landing pad was to the left in that shot I don't think they could have avoided the departure angle with an off set raptor engine. Its no small coincidence that the engine location was chosen to be opposing the direction they needed to travel. Rockets generally speaking take off straight up. Moments after lift of you can see them adjusting the rocket so that the load is carried over the single engine.

Top Bottom