South to Monterey

scottcolbath

BAMF+
maui maui I highly recommend taking the drive up the coast to this place for an excellent meal.

S.C.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
maui maui I highly recommend taking the drive up the coast to this place for an excellent meal.

S.C.
That place looks good, I’m in track mode right now so probably going to be having dinner with the Carter’s crew which might require a larger format. I’ll keep that place in mind for the future though.

rumble phish

BAMF+

S.C.
Been there :up: Awesome place. Capitola and Aptos are neat little towns, and of course you're right next to Santa Cruz, my favorite hippie-town!

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Yeah, that all sounds really good… But once I’m done with the track I’m gonna want to head home and get some rest, Tear in to some bikes a little bit and start getting ready for pro school.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Been there :up: Awesome place. Capitola and Aptos are neat little towns, and of course you're right next to Santa Cruz, my favorite hippie-town!
Back in 1988, I did my first California trip. I had seen these "Santa Cruz" decals on cars. I had to check the place out.
Well, it turns out the decals were for skateboards, which I've never had any interest in, being a fucking giant goon. But I bought a decal anyway, and it's on my tool box.

S.C.

BigGar

high on placebo
Not sure where you're staying when you're there, but hit up Katy's for breakfast in Carmel.
London Bridge Pub for fish & chips if you're into that sort of thing.
The Forge in Carmel makes a good drink and their food is top notch.
I got more . . . :)

Stites

BAMF+
Hey since no one else is getting that your in track mode and don’t need any food recommendations you should stop at Hunter’s Supreme Steakhouse in Carmel. You would love that place and they have tiny parking lot. Rest when you get home after having a steak.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Not sure if you're in race mode, or if you are hooked up to a trailer, or if perhaps you're heading north, but I know of some fine eating establishments with small parking lots in the area.
Yea that’s what I need. Are there hookers and drug dealers there too or do I have to stick to truck stops.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
It was nice to wake up at home for a change. In the last 6 weeks it feels like I've spent 1 week at home.

This is the iconic turn 8 or more commonly known as the top of the Corkscrew. It's blind and learning where to go over 2 days, was not a complete failure, but was also not where I need to be. I did get a bunch of help from people who know theta track a lot better then I do.

One of the Carters guys Blu W. gave me a couple laps to follow. Blu was running 1:36 on his BMW 1000s in traffic, which last year would have put him in the stock 1000 MA field. I got down to a 1:42.0 which was ok, puts me in the program at least not at the very back. Annie who is in front of me here ran a 1:40.0 on one lap.

This was all on a sound restricted day so 92db(?) which meant a sound baffle in the exhaust taking it from a nominal 60mm to a 35mm which is just under 3x in area. Also we taped the air intake on the R6s about 50% because much of the sound comes from the intake. The bikes still run, but it's kinda like have someones knee on your neck. With all that I have no idea if my bike is geared correctly. Because I tend to be heavier then a few people I usually;l;y do a little better with one or two more teeth on the back.

Here Eli M. doing a few laps with me to try and undo my fuck ups, he's the same guy that was helping Scott.

Typically I run a bit slower in practice, On the advice of Greg (team maui) I ran a rear take off from my race on Saturday which had lost some grip so I was finding my limits. I also miscalculated on brake pads. Greg also gave me a brand new set of pads so I'm good for the next race but over all my braking was way off. Still I think a flush of the brake fluid and some general tune up in that area will help. My heavy braking zones are 2, 5, 8, and 11. I'm sure I"m missing something there. I wish Stuman was there the last couple of days instead of grinding his foot off, He probably would have gotten me some better turn in points and rates.

My last AFM race was the Saturday before Laguna, I passed a guy under yellow, just had too much of a roll to stop it safely, and per the rules of the game I had to let him overtake me. Well the guy behind him (Ray) took it instead of him which is a guy I have been in the points race with. That fucked me up considerably. I probably have 60 lbs on Ray ( and 40+ years) so when we're on the front straight he yards me pretty good. I make it up with corner speed but the result is I have to either out drive him or pass him on the brakes and he can just twist the gas to get me back.

I did manage to pass him back but ti was coming onto the front straight and even though I crushed him on the drive at the line he got me by a wheel

Honestly I'm one of the bigger guys in the 600 field and it's been a struggle. Here's a typical start, I'm a bit back from mid pack. I like to complain that I could be a grand parent out there but at the same time if I have to give credit to the people in front of me for being faster.

I did manage to win 3 out of my 6 races last Saturday, I think I have mathematically secured 2 classes and the 3rd is still close enough that I have to work hard. Here's the end of 750stk which I'm currently leading in points, Gino is right on my tail on his GSX-R750 as we are headed to our class finish, ahead you can see some of the stock 1000 class. I just barely beat Gino to the line that time. I probably have 40 lbs and a few years on him, plus I'm on an R6 so theres a bit of a power difference....I keep reminding them not to discount the old guys.

Last edited:
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Side note, I did end up getting a nice dinner in Pacific Grove at La Mia Cucina, which was an absolutely outstanding northern Italian place, family run, and a nice treat at the end of being away from home for a week. One of the Carters staff who is local to that area drove so I didn't have to parallel park my trailer.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Looks epic my friend! One day I will join you there and check that bucket list item
get some more laps on the WarHorse. 400s are fine there but that track really rewards speed it seems.....plus the WarHorse needs to feed.

BigGar

high on placebo
I think my best lap on the carbon fiber Busa was 1:42 or 3. Not positive. I was a lot faster 15 years ago when I did my first trackday there. I just obliterated anyone on the front straight and for whatever reason had good luck out braking guys into 11. Even if I didn't, if I was close I just ran away after the corner. Did o.k. at the top of the Corkscrew too. Such a damn fun track. Definitely my favorite.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I am planning on being at the track more next year, I will gladly feed the beast.
It's a bit more budget wise to go to Laguna, pretty much every aspect of it. Keep that in mind when you're planning next year. I really hope we are going to get to race there on a regular basis.

Top Bottom