Sold The YZ

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag to you
An end of an era......me and ole girl parted ways tonight. I am not sure I made the right decision as I loved that bike.......in the 8 years I have owned it I have shared motorcycling with friends, family and some of the best people I know. I have built many friendships around that bike.

It has taken me to a many mountain top where I was able to clear my head. Not only was this machine fun it was used for bonding with friends and family and it was a tool in my tool box to help me clear my mind and take on the world.

So many times I through a leg over with confusion and a unclear mind only to return rejuvenated with my next big idea.

I probably should of kept her and restored her but what is done is done. So long old friend!

4C970029-6F41-494D-80AE-ED343F2A9D4B.jpeg

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Yeah, I lived in a 'hood like that as a kid for a few years. They dozed it all under and started building houses, we moved. But before that, we could leave our street on our dirt bikes, and ride all the way to California if we had the gas and cash. Now, it is in the middle of the city. But for a summer or two, we'd spend all day riding and hanging out on our dirt bikes.
Your house backs up to that open area? That would be nice.

OP
Stites

Stites

Yeah, I lived in a 'hood like that as a kid for a few years. They dozed it all under and started building houses, we moved. But before that, we could leave our street on our dirt bikes, and ride all the way to California if we had the gas and cash. Now, it is in the middle of the city. But for a summer or two, we'd spend all day riding and hanging out on our dirt bikes.
Your house backs up to that open area? That would be nice.
100’s of miles of trails start right there in my back yard. It’s really nice and part of the reason I bought this house

Master-Cylinder

Lucky fucker! :up: I live right on the edge of town, nothing to the west of me for forty miles or so. But it's all swamp land owned by The Mormons. And now they are filling it to build a new city. We'll be moving in a few years.

OP
Stites

Stites

Yeah but i don't wanna split hairs about it. Some are prob just cosmetics more than anything.

Msrp was 75ish from yamaha.

Yes they are about $7200-7300 here but you can't get out of the dealer for anything less than around $9-9200.

This one has quite a few upgrades as well so I feel it's a good deal. He's about 175 miles away from my place so I would also have that expense.

I offered him $7k and he said he would think about it.

At least you got him answering you.
Hate Craigslist... no phone number the wheels turn slow on that shit. Seems every used bike out there has "30 hours" too.

OP
Stites

Stites

At least you got him answering you.
Hate Craigslist... no phone number the wheels turn slow on that shit. Seems every used bike out there has "30 hours" too.

Yeah brother the wheels do turn slow.

I really like that bike, but I am fine with waiting. His bike has plenty of aftermarket stuff which isn’t really a bonus for me as I am fine with a completely stock bike.

That said all of his upgrades appear to be performance based versus bling based

NORTY

BAMF
Sad days when I sold all my YZ's.
Shoulda saved 2 of 'em, as there's a market for open class 2-strokes now.

OP
Stites

Stites

Sad days when I sold all my YZ's.
Shoulda saved 2 of 'em, as there's a market for open class 2-strokes now.

Yeah I posted mine at around 2PM yesterday and got close to 50 messages for it.

My listing stated it ran but that the water pump seep hole was leaking and that it needed a top end.

I had people offering me over my listing price.

I paid $1600 for that bike 8 years ago and sold it for $1300......had offers of $1500. I just wanted the messages to stop and the first guy showed up with cash and it was a done deal

I never should have gotten rid of my banshee... ppl think they are gold now.
I wanted 3k for it in 2002, now you can't find a decent one for less than 5k. Id love to have another one.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
NE of Nashville, in KY....$6200. It's on FB Marketplace...a bunch of them on there. More than CL.

2019 YZ 250X Acerbis frame guards Acerbis skid and disc guard Acerbis oversize tank FMF PC 2.0 silencer Seat concepts gripper cover Flex bars enduro bend ODI lock on grips G2 ergonomic handguards Stock tank and silencer will come with bike. It is a low hour bike, it does not have a hour meter but is under 8 hrs..$6,200 price is firm.

OP
Stites

Stites

NE of Nashville, in KY....$6200. It's on FB Marketplace...a bunch of them on there. More than CL.

2019 YZ 250X Acerbis frame guards Acerbis skid and disc guard Acerbis oversize tank FMF PC 2.0 silencer Seat concepts gripper cover Flex bars enduro bend ODI lock on grips G2 ergonomic handguards Stock tank and silencer will come with bike. It is a low hour bike, it does not have a hour meter but is under 8 hrs..$6,200 price is firm.

It appears all the good deals are on the other side of the country!!

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Another good deal from middle TN...a 2012
Beta 510 with a Honda CR500 in it! $8000.

2012 Beta 520 supermoto chassis with CR500 motor swap, has decomp button for easy starting. Street legal and plated with a clean title. The bike is lowered 2" and setup by race tech with a 5" rear wheel, 160 tire, steering stabilizer, and big brake kit up front. Power rs tires have maybe 75 miles on them and the motor is in great shape with roughly 20 hours on a rebuild. The bike is in great condition the only thing it needs are the lights wired up to a battery.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
saw a guy try to race a CR500 a supermoto here. He was all over the place, could never make the lead lap, surprised he survived it. 80mph off the throttle wheelies are cool. Looping it at 80 not as much. Everyone tried to help the guy but it was just too much for him when it came on.

On the open road maybe better. That front brake looks like its on the lower end, kinda like the ones motostrano used to sell in th mid 2000's. For a Cr500 I'd think a little more along the lines of a bringer set up would increase survivability...

in other words, that Beta is a cluster fuck of danger and bad ideas.....I wanna ride it.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
saw a guy try to race a CR500 a supermoto here.
/-----/
Everyone tried to help the guy but it was just too much for him when it came on.
/-----/
in other words, that Beta is a cluster fuck of danger and bad ideas.....I wanna ride it.
From working at the Honda shop, I learned that the CR500 could be a real scary badass, or a usable weapon if used properly.

They were almost unrideable the first couple of years, so Honda tamed the porting down a little. Then they did it again after a couple of years.

A 1993 CR500R is a much tamer animal than a 1988 model.

Any of them can benefit from a 1 or 2lb bolt on flywheel.

The Honda doesn't have an exhaust valve like the KX500. :wink2:

OP
Stites

Stites

My KX500 wasn't bad to kick over and it definitely didn't have compression releases. That said I never started that bitch unless I had a MX boot on, slipped a few times and the kickback on the shin was brutal.

Master-Cylinder

I don't recall anyone ever coming in wanting a big bore kit for a 500cc two stroke. They'd mostly just put aa different pipe on them because they thought it was cool, or they had smashed their original one.

My points and capacitor DT250 loves to kick back when kick starting it. I learned that if I kick it once with the key off, and then turn the key on during the second kick, it won't kick back.

BilletMan

BAMF+
I had a CR-480....sold it because starting once it was wamed up was a bitch...good way to get hurt!

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I had a CR-480....sold it because starting once it was wamed up was a bitch...good way to get hurt!
Those had vicious porting, which was carried over onto the first of the watercooled CR500Rs......

I limped for a month after getting my right foot's arch collapsed by the kickback of a '79 400 Maico.

My fault, I neglected to go get a motocross boot after I reassembled the pitiful excuse of a carburetor. (fuckin' Bing)

OP
Stites

Stites

The YZ250X I have been eyeing was sold from underneath me today. Told the guy I could be there today or tomorrow to just say the word. Got a ducking text tonight saying he sold it......dam it

A guy I was working for got his calf muscle disconnected from his bone trying to start a 47 HD flathead.
I told him not to fuk with it, he was a musclehead so that's probably why his shit snapped. Had to get surgery to put it back, on crutches for weeks after that.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
The YZ250X I have been eyeing was sold from underneath me today. Told the guy I could be there today or tomorrow to just say the word. Got a ducking text tonight saying he sold it......dam it
sorry to hear that Scott. Another will come along soon enough.

One time I rolled the Banshee and it started up from going backwards down the hill. Handlebars were pushed down against the tank too, that Banshee was heading out as I watched from the top of the hill. Thankfully someone was there to grab it pretty quick.

Master-Cylinder

A guy I was working for got his calf muscle disconnected from his bone trying to start a 47 HD flathead.
I told him not to fuk with it, he was a musclehead so that's probably why his shit snapped. Had to get surgery to put it back, on crutches for weeks after that.
Big galoot at The Junk Yard destroyed his ankle trying to kick start a Harley. He'll be in pain for years, if not life.

OP
Stites

Stites

It sure isn't a buyer's market right now. You really can't talk money with most of these people unless it's face to face. You gotta just hit the road or it won't ever happen.
100% my friend, total sellers market as I saw the last two nights selling my other two.

I have a shop to run so there’s that and this cat sucked at returning messages.....but alas your are definitely correct

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
between it being summer and everyone going covid crazy from being cooped up it might be a tough time getting any deals on a bike

Top Bottom