So, you're a detective and you find out...

BigBusa

BAMF+
...a stolen vehicle you're tasked with finding is headed south on i75. It was stolen at 3:54 am. on sunday 7/31. It's plate is on the hot list and seen on an LSAT camera at a county weigh station at 5:42am on sunday 7/31... 90 miles south of where it was stolen.

Maybe you're aware that many stolen vehicles are taken from atlanta area to miami and put on containers to ship to other countries? Maybe you've never heard of that? Who knows.

Let's pretend you actually care about solving the crime. So, what's you're next move? You know a thief that's smart enough to tape over security cameras isn't going to ride around with a hot plate on the vehicle for too long.

• Red
Reactions: Red

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Seriously do you know how many thefts are reported? How many stolen cars are out there? You're just one victim amongst millions and million of them..

Trust me I get it, you want justice. It won't come. You got to do what I did when the 00 fist Busa was robbed.. ya got to get put your boots on and go gather the information in the streets.. once you learn who took your shit .. you do what you gotta do.... even then I got lucky .. extremely lucky .. that ain't the norm when things go missing

If you think a car robbery is a high priority in and around Atlanta your drinking too much alcohol. They have daily violent car jackings yours was not a violent crime.. so resources will not be going to find your stuff. Wish it was different but it ain't.

I tell you this as a friend ... a worn out detective simply has higher priorities to try to do during his mere 8 hour shift or worked day. What you need is a full on 24 hour multi angecy team that will trace down 50k worth of goods. But simply that isn't reality.

It a write off at this point.

Kirk

BAMF
...a stolen vehicle you're tasked with finding is headed south on i75. It was stolen at 3:54 am. on sunday 7/31. It's plate is on the hot list and seen on an LSAT camera at a county weigh station at 5:42am on sunday 7/31... 90 miles south of where it was stolen.

Maybe you're aware that many stolen vehicles are taken from atlanta area to miami and put on containers to ship to other countries? Maybe you've never heard of that? Who knows.

Let's pretend you actually care about solving the crime. So, what's you're next move? You know a thief that's smart enough to tape over security cameras isn't going to ride around with a hot plate on the vehicle for too long.
I would go to Starbucks to see if they have pumpkin spice lattes yet.

I had a ZX-14 stolen when I lived in LaGrange Park. Fist thing the cops did was accuse me of reporting a repossession as a theft. Then, they spent all of 15 minutes taking my information, promising to be back later to canvass the area. They never came back. Then I started getting a phone call every 30 days wanting to know if I had found it yet so they could close the case. Cops care fuck all about stolen goods unless it's their box of donuts.

Fortunately I had good insurance and was well compensated.

Stetson

BAMF+
When you were talking about how the cop stuck the duct tape on the paper on that other thread, wondering how he was going to get prints from it, I was going to tell you that he was just going to throw them away when he got back to the station anyway, but I didn't want you to lose hope. If anything, they had a good laugh about the guy with the awesome house and sweet truck, but no theft insurance on it. They might have tried a little harder when you were up in NY, but you're in the big city now. I'd love to be wrong, I hate thieves, but the only way that guy will get caught is if he walks in and confesses out of the blue.

I had an outboard stolen off a boat in my yard a few years ago, and the deputy didn't even come over, just took my complaint over the phone. Pretty sure I know who did it, but the scrote completely vanished after my motor did. If I ever see him again, I won't bother with the cops, I'll just talk to him myself.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
You guys are all correct. I know. But it's been 31 days and I'm still seething.

Anyway, the answer I was looking for especially from the LEOs here was...

"if I knew they were travelling south down i75, I don't really know where they're going but I can google where the nest LSAT camera is at the next weigh station and request 30 mins of footage. The truck and trailer are unique so I can blow through the pics at 4x and my coffee will still be hot when I'm done. And maybe if it shows up, I can read the plate number from the stolen plate they probably put on the trailer?!"

I think that's the most basic thing a detective could do. These cameras are tools for them to use.

Ok so... on 8/21 I give the detective the EZPass info where my ezpass paid for the toll at exit 109 in palm beach gardens Fla at 5:28am on 8/1. 20 days have gone by but WTF... might as well check it out. On 8/24 I email him. No response. On 8/29 I call. He says FDOT needs more info and he's going to supply them with it when he goes in to work that night. He did absolutely nothing with that info for 8 days.

The same day, I requested the case be transferred to someone who might have more time and enthusiasm to solve it. His supervisor says they are short staffed with covid, training and vacations so NO, she won't transfer the case.

The next day (30th) he gets the footage from the FDOT LSAT cam in palm beach gardens. YUP, there's my truck and trailer and guess what?! It's now got a different plate on it. Run the plate and find out its registered to a person in hahira ga. He contacts the guy and guy doesn't even know his plate is missing. Checks and YUP, it's gone.

The plate gets entered as stolen and then checked on flock and LSAT cameras. It gets hits starting on 7/31 in valdosta ga all the way to miami on 8/1.

Here's the kicker... Hahira Ga. is 6 miles south of the very next LSAT GDOT weigh station camera. And that camera is 2 hours and 15 mins south of the LSAT camera in forsyth ga where is was seen at at 5:42am on 7/31. The plate was stolen and put on my trailer the day of the theft.

All the detective had to do was DETECT! A simple request of footage 2 hours and 15 mins after 5:42 am at the next weigh station camera and 10 mins of his time would have produced this lead hours or maybe a day after the theft... instead of 28 days later.

I've never been a huge fan of cops but this is making me respect them even less.

Last edited:

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
8 hour shift?

Not all agencies use an Alpha/Bravo shift system. Some are ten and or 8 hours. All depends on the unit and agency

Don to answer your question no ... to much other shit is crossing your desk every minuet of the day.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
One time I had a Harley stolen and didn't even report it. Cops just take a report and suggest you call your insurance company.
If I had the connections then that I have now, I would have gotten it back.

A friend of mine just received notice that a car stolen from him 6 months ago was up for sale as abandoned, and if he wanted it back he owed 6 months of storage.

Yeah those cops have their shit together.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
One time another friend has his Cobra Mustang stolen and they found it behind a grocery store.
It was nasty the car had a club on it and the thief was a fucking caveman.
They said they would pay all the impound charges if he allowed them to do forensics on the car.
They took forever, an argument insued, lot of cop splaining and threatening over who is doing who a favor.
That's what you get.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
I guess I've been very naΓ―ve all these years... thinking that detectives detect and investigators investigate. They're there to give us a false sense of security... and tickets. That's it.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
Funny the cops always blow off shit because insurance should be your fail safe. (kirk)

Now these guys like to steal 18 year old Ford trucks. Yeah that makes sense to have full coverage.
Maybe they would cut him a $4500 check. Better than nothing right? Thanks for nothing.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
Why? The cops didn't steal your uninsured truck.

It should make you respect car thieves even less.
No, they didn't but they didn't do anything to get it back. That's their job. I've helped pay their salaries since I started working at 15. I need their help ONE FUCKING TIME in 40 years and get the brush off?! "We're doing all we can sir".

Yea, I was stupid. I get that. A lot of the blame lies on me but I didn't steal my truck either. I bought it and worked hard to pay for it for 5 years.

I actually respect thieves a little more now to be honest. They have the balls to just steal your shit. They could get shot and killed but they don't care... they just do it. I wish I have fewer morals and didn't mind going to jail or getting shot once in a while. I'd become a thief too. Pretty easy work with high rewards.

Last edited:

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
One time someone broke into my car outside work. They were interrupted and stabbed some good samaritan guy in the face and took off.

The cop that responded didn't want to get out of his car. I was like "dude I need to get back in there to work" and in typical asshole fashion he says "hold on these things take time"
Then he wanted me to find the serial numbers on the thief's bicycle he left behind.
Get your ass out here and look yourself you lazy fuck.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
Funny the cops always blow off shit because insurance should be your fail safe. (kirk)

Now these guys like to steal 18 year old Ford trucks. Yeah that makes sense to have full coverage.
Maybe they would cut him a $4500 check. Better than nothing right? Thanks for nothing.
EXACTLY! Comprehensive was crazy money. Full coverage was fucking bonkers! Liability was around $600/year.
Book value is about 1/3rd of what it's actually worth. If I had theft coverage, I'd probably be here bitching that they paid out $18k on a $50k truck. Ok maybe not quite $50k

Last edited:

rumble phish

BAMF+
Seriously do you know how many thefts are reported? How many stolen cars are out there? You're just one victim amongst millions and million of them..

Trust me I get it, you want justice. It won't come. You got to do what I did when the 00 fist Busa was robbed.. ya got to get put your boots on and go gather the information in the streets.. once you learn who took your shit .. you do what you gotta do.... even then I got lucky .. extremely lucky .. that ain't the norm when things go missing

If you think a car robbery is a high priority in and around Atlanta your drinking too much alcohol. They have daily violent car jackings yours was not a violent crime.. so resources will not be going to find your stuff. Wish it was different but it ain't.

I tell you this as a friend ... a worn out detective simply has higher priorities to try to do during his mere 8 hour shift or worked day. What you need is a full on 24 hour multi angecy team that will trace down 50k worth of goods. But simply that isn't reality.

It a write off at this point.
Don, I know I give you shit sometimes but I really do feel bad for you in this situation. However, your expectations are way outta line with reality. What Rhino Rhino wrote above is spot-fucking-on. In the big picture, in a place like Atlanta and it's suburbs, finding your stolen truck mean diddly squat to the police. They're dealing with drug dealers, rapists, murderers, BLM protests, gang violence all while they are severely understaffed because of COVID and officers "retiring" because no one has their back for all that they try to do. In all honesty it was YOUR responsibility to secure and/or insure your property. You saying you have less respect for police because they can't or won't find your precious truck, while the mother of a young girl who was gunned down in a senseless drive-by shooting is tearing her heart out wanting to know who killed her baby really shows a lack of empathy and borderline complete selfishness on your part. Sorry man, but you gotta grow up and realize it was YOUR fault it was stolen, and YOUR fault that you were to cheap to insure it. Hope you learned a valuable lesson.

EXACTLY! Comprehensive was crazy money. Full coverage was fucking bonkers! Liability was around $600/year.
Book value is about 1/3rd of what it's actually worth. If I had theft coverage, I'd probably be here bitching that they paid out $18k on a $50k truck. Ok maybe not quite $50k
Well, at least you'd have a decent down payment on something else. $18k is better than what you have now! This is the conundrum all of us who fix up and drive older vehicles face. Full coverage just doesn't seem worth it after a certain point. That's also why I don't make the Money Pit "too nice". I have over $17k into my truck, and if it were totaled or stolen tomorrow I'd get MAYBE $7500 for it. It's the price we pay to drive something nice, but that doesn't cost $80k from a dealer.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
Yeah Don, it's your fault.

Maybe if they find them with drugs in your truck sometime down the road they will bust them.
Then you can pay storage fees when they figure out it's your truck 6 months later.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
it was YOUR fault it was stolen, and YOUR fault that you were to cheap to insure it.
Dude, that's absolute horseshit and you know it. It's not the owners "FAULT" when a thief steals their shit. It's the thief's fault. Your blaming the victim.

Where did I say I don't care about some mother whose kid was shot? They have a homicide squads for that. I need the auto theft division to take this seriously. I'm not asking a homicide detective to find my truck you dumb fat fuck. Go fuck yourself libtard. You're going back on ignore. Fucking moron.

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
Well it saddens me that people like to steal all these fucking old trucks.
It's a big thing around here, probably everywhere. F250s and F350s.
Most people that own them are just trying to get by like everyone else.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
My buddy that lives in this town thinks I'm nuts when I was securing the property. He said people don't steal shit like that here

I call bull shit as I know people will travel to steal your shit if it's worth the travel.and haul...

These fucks don't even know what I'm planning for fencing. Open property bothers me. To me it's an open boundary.easily breached.. once the fence is built I'll be a happier camper

rumble phish

BAMF+
My buddy that lives in this town thinks I'm nuts when I was securing the property. He said people don't steal shit like that here

I call bull shit as I know people will travel to steal your shit if it's worth the travel.and haul...

These fucks don't even know what I'm planning for fencing. Open property bothers me. To me it's an open boundary.easily breached.. once the fence is built I'll be a happier camper
Good fences make for good neighbors.

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
The same day, I requested the case be transferred to someone who might have more time and enthusiasm to solve it. His supervisor says they are short staffed with covid, training and vacations so NO, she won't transfer the case.
Translated: "I know the cop wasn't prioritizing my case as I would have liked, so I just gave him an excuse to work on it even less than he already was working on it."

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
Some article posted locally months back discussing the same issue....Ford F250 F350 being popular with thieves.

Revealed the great city of Indianapolis does not even have an auto theft unit.
It's all piled on burglary detectives.

jeez.

Kirk

BAMF

Yup.

It cost me a LOT to fence and gate my estate, but it's a major step towards securing it.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Yup. Don is a total Karen.
Yeah, I guess he can be but I get how he feels. I just think his sense of loss and violation is overriding his good sense to know how the world really works. He's no dummy, and I know he gets it. Hard lesson, but ya just gotta move on.

gsxrian

BAMF
Many years ago, i had a friend from OH who was working on his Camaro in his front yard (the car was on blocks), he was 17 and had to do the work himself ..... one day he came home, the car was gone and a few days later the cops showed up to tell him that his stolen car was involved in a wreck.

Since the repairs were taking a long time and the car was parked on private property (his front yard), he had stopped the insurance, so he had no theft coverage, but more importantly he had no uninsured motorist coverage .... he was stuck with a $100k lawsuit from the lawyer of the victim of the crash, since he was the owner of the car!

It took him many years to pay off the debt, for something someone else did!

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
Many years ago, i had a friend from OH who was working on his Camaro in his front yard (the car was on blocks), he was 17 and had to do the work himself ..... one day he came home, the car was gone and a few days later the cops showed up to tell him that his stolen car was involved in a wreck.

Since the repairs were taking a long time and the car was parked on private property (his front yard), he had stopped the insurance, so he had no theft coverage, but more importantly he had no uninsured motorist coverage .... he was stuck with a $100k lawsuit from the lawyer of the victim of the crash, since he was the owner of the car!

In my best kirkules voice:

It was liability insurance he didn't have....even then, doubt he would have had $100k in coverage.

UM is something totally different.

The 17 YO part has me a tad confused for various reasons....but I won't get into it.

Hindsight is 20/20.....but he should have done a release of liability, but even if he didn't, the police report showing it was stolen should have sufficed.

iDK, seems like your buddy was telling you a tall tale.

gsxrian

BAMF
In my best kirkules voice:

It was liability insurance he didn't have....even then, doubt he would have had $100k in coverage.

UM is something totally different.

The 17 YO part has me a tad confused for various reasons....but I won't get into it.

Hindsight is 20/20.....but he should have done a release of liability, but even if he didn't, the police report showing it was stolen should have sufficed.

iDK, seems like your buddy was telling you a tall tale.
You are correct on the liability insurance ...3am fatigue, mistake:)

But the rest of the story, sadly is true!

Vegas12

BAMF+
You are correct on the liability insurance ...3am fatigue, mistake:)

But the rest of the story, sadly is true!
No worries...

17 yo as the legal owner....entering into a contract....etc.

I suppose anything is possible....just thinking a dime store attorney could have defended it.

OK....kirkules voice off!!

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
Translated: "I know the cop wasn't prioritizing my case as I would have liked, so I just gave him an excuse to work on it even less than he already was working on it."
which is why I finally said something. I had nothing to lose. I knew he wasn't doing enough and this would probably cause him to do one of two things... help less or actually start taking it seriously. It was the latter but now they've stopped communicating with me altogether. I may have bruised some egos by daring to state the obvious.

OP

BigBusa

BAMF+
I wake up pretty much every night now between 2 and 4am and look at the cameras. πŸ‘πŸ‘ŽπŸ€¬

Kirk

BAMF

Yeah, I'm not buying that story either.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I wake up pretty much every night now between 2 and 4am and look at the cameras. πŸ‘πŸ‘ŽπŸ€¬

Now you see why I like the dogs I like.. they beat my cameras at picking people out of the dark. they confront first as I head to the door so I can back them up, but the threat unless caught is already gone.

You keeping the alert on these days

Last edited:

Kirk

BAMF
We're not nearly as high-tech as Don, but one of the little projects that's on my long list of projects, is to replace the four old-style security lights on the four corners of our home (the ones with the big cone-shaped glass bulbs), with more modern, efficient, and powerful motion-sensitive LED lights. Our home is located right in the middle of our nearly square 5-acre estate, so it would be nice if I could get enough throw to be able to see 250 feet to the fenceline.

I'd also like to put some solar-powered LED lamps on top of the brick pillars that are on either side of our front gate, so that if someone pulls up to the gate at night, I could use my 7x50 Nikon binoculars to see who it is and what they're doing.

And maybe some solar-powered motion sensitive LED security lighting on the shop. I've got one on the front, but it's old and small, and does little more than illuminate my walk from the house to the shop and back at night.

Top Bottom