So yeah, I bought my Ford Bronco. Finally!

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I tried to wait for a 1996 since that's the only year with both MAF and OBDII.
But one never popped up in my price range that met other criteria I had.

I found this 1994 Bronco just two hours from me in San Antonio.
It was a color scheme I hadn't seen before. Fairly rare, I guess. And I loved it!
So I bought it.

It's 100% rust free with a straight body.
And that was criteria #1 for me.
And impossible to find in my price range.

Turns out it's a color change and crap paint job.
But I don't care about that. It looks great from 20' away.

Talked them down by $2300 and drove it away for $6500.

Needs a ton of work done to it.
But so far it all seems like stuff I can do myself.
It runs and shifts well.
And aside from the crappy paint job, it's VERY clean.

I think I did well on this purchase.

Has what I believe to be a 4" lift.
Upgraded 16" wheels that are going to take hours & hours of polishing to get looking new again.
Otherwise it seems unmolested/original.

I haven't taken any pix yet, but here's the dealer pix.
Look at all that brake dust on those uncoated aluminum wheels. :eek:
Biggar gave me some quality advice on how to make them look new again.
201901-8acced02b9e2479f8863371a6151bb91.jpg 201901-4198cf6e779f410c983d888ca85020a6.jpg 201901-8636b7edfde745eda98f88f59aa3e2ca.jpg 201901-e37eaa43897c44b48e8af3b7f538037c.jpg 201903-8efa845f6c274dd8935503356074bf58.jpg

rumble phish

BAMF+
Looks clean. What motor is in it? How many miles? Be sure to drain the xfer case and front/rear ends and refill with clean oil, and check the u-joints. Welcome to the world of four-wheel drive. Here's to hoping your checking account can handle the strain! :eek::lol::ducmanic:

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I gave up on the $800 engine-less deal.
Partly because I just "couldn't wait" to get back on the road again!

It's got 191k miles (nothing for a Ford).
A 351 Windsor V8 and E40D auto transmission.
And I *think* it's got 3.55 gears which will likely be replaced with 4.10 at some point.

Yeah, it's crazy how clean the undercarriage is, aside from oil caked up around the tranny/engine area.
No rust on any door jambs, undercarriage, wheel wheels, nowhere.
It's almost like the previous owners never even went offroading until you see a couple spots with caked up dirt.

Carfax indicated four previous owners in New Mexico & Texas.
No accidents.
Green across the board.

I've got some things to fix. A laundry list.
But I'm smiling right now and I've already had it for just over a week. :)

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

miles? Be sure to drain the xfer case and front/rear ends and refill with clean oil, and check the u-joints. Welcome to the world of four-wheel drive. Here's to hoping your checking account can handle the strain! :eek::lol::ducmanic:
Oh man, I didn't blow my entire wad on it.
I have just enough to get it running right!
Gotta get rid of a small "clunk" (will lube the slip joint tomorrow).
And fix the steering "free play" by upgrading to a Saginaw power steering pump (no whine) and upgraded steering box, soon.
After those are done, I'll do a full tuneup, change all fluids, etc. :up:

love these...do the back tops still come off easily?
Hell yeah! The '92 and up require torx bits I think, to remove the top. Since Ford doesn't want you to do it, what with the shoulder restraint seatbelts being a thing.
I've already purchased a black soft-top for it and the hard top is coming off once I've got it running smooth AF.

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

So, my current order of progression.

1) Fix the minor "clunk" when coming to a stop/leaving green light, by lubing the slip joint (95% sure that's the issue). I also got two new U-Joints that I'll replace at the same time, just because.

2) Fix steering play/slop by replacing steering box to an upgraded design from redhead steering and also get rid of the power steering "whine from hell" that Ford is notorious for, by upgrading to a Saginaw power steering pump.

3) Do a full tuneup & liquid changes from top to bottom.

4) Replace the two cracked looking back tires to match the new front tires.

5) A little detailing here and there, like shiny up the wheels.

6) Have fun this summer.

7) Work on house.

8) Get serious about engine & tranny & interior/exterior looks next winter.

Looks well cared for. My opinion.... Those wheels look good in black and/or low maintenance chrome. I wouldn't dare polish them, the reward isn't worth the constant trouble.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Are you single? Because having a four-wheel drive hobby is a helluva a lit easier when you're single! :lol:

Unless you find a hottie who likes to get muddy and greasy!

1556926658592.png

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

That looks a lot like one of the three asses that was in my bathroom jacuzzi last Sunday morning.

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Minus the "dark" colored grease.

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Looks well cared for. My opinion.... Those wheels look good in black and/or low maintenance chrome. I wouldn't dare polish them, the reward isn't worth the constant trouble.
I actually hate black wheels. I know they are in "style" the last few years but I just don't like 'em.
Polished aluminum is a bitch.
But it'll be my bitch.

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I actually had my bedroom security cam hooked up but the software wasn't running at the time. Put a small towel on top of it when one of them noticed it but it didn't matter.

Great lookin rig man !

Buy 4 tires and throw those junk nittos on CL, they only good for 30k anyway ..

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Buy 4 tires and throw those junk nittos on CL, they only good for 30k anyway ..
Hah, it's funny that you suggest that because I've actually already considered it!
These are the tires that went onto my wishlist a while back.

BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 Tires

edit: Probably won't though. No sense in spending more than I have to on something like a tire when I'm still a 4x4 newbie.
Have other, more important expenses to consider.

Last edited:
I just went from the nittos to the bfg AT KO2 and it’s an awesome tire , quiet and rides like a dream ..

Don’t see you needing the mud ta down there..

def on my short list (assuming i cant find a gen 1 bronco in restorable shape without having to donate a kidney)...i just prefer this sort of open top to a jeep all day!

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Way ta go Eddie, let the $$$ flow :ducmanic:

My only objection is you bought from a used car stealer :ak:

BilletMan

Makes Chips and Rapid Conversaion
Nice score! Do yourself a favor, make the FIRST mod an ignition cut-off switch. Thieves love stealing stuff like that! I had a truck where I mounted a rocker switch behind the seat back. The switch was beneath the upholstery, so it couldn't be seen. Great place as I would slide my fingers along the vinyl seat surface as I was reaching down to grab the seat belt......IGN KILL SWITCH!!! Do it today!

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Don’t see you needing the mud ta down there..
Those may or may not have been the tires on my wishlist? They're the only one in my favorites folder so they probably are. It's been a month since I researched tires. I basically just looked at all the multi-tire comparisons and chose the one that was overall best in all categories important to me. Quiet. Rock crawling sidewall. Sand.

def on my short list (assuming i cant find a gen 1 bronco in restorable shape without having to donate a kidney)...
There is a Facebook group for selling first gen Bronco's. I saw some decent deals here and there. All too much $ for me, but they were better deals than eBay had.

My only objection is you bought from a used car stealer :ak:
:lol:
The dealer is a Bronco nut. He had two more on the floor and a bunch incoming. He told me to buy this or that model if I ever saw one come up for sale, regardless of price. They're all going up in value.

Nice score! Do yourself a favor, make the FIRST mod an ignition cut-off switch. Thieves love stealing stuff like that! I had a truck where I mounted a rocker switch behind the seat back. The switch was beneath the upholstery, so it couldn't be seen. Great place as I would slide my fingers along the vinyl seat surface as I was reaching down to grab the seat belt......IGN KILL SWITCH!!! Do it today!
Pretty much.......used to have what I called "impound switches" hidden above the glove box of my race car. If you knew where they were you could shut em off easy undetected, such as reaching in there for a registration. One shut off the ignition, and the other killed the starter. All it really takes though is one circuit to interrupt the neutral safety switch, killing the ignition makes it harder to figure out. I didn't even want them to be able to crank it over.

DaCat

BAMF
Cool looking Ford, congrats. I look forward to seeing the progress pics, even though it looks pretty good as is.

Can't you just adjust the play out of the steering box? Cheaper than replacing it.

Have fun and enjoy the ride :up:

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Current situation IMG_20190504_131208.jpg

The slip joint had ZERO grease left inside/outside. :eek:
No wonder I was hearing a slight clunk when stopping/taking off.
U joint needle cap on one side popped off upon removal of the driveshaft. IMG_20190504_131202.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

That wasn't nearly as bad as it was on my old 4runner.
Actually it was pretty easy to remove.
Maybe because I used PB Blaster on everything an hour before. IMG_20190504_132146.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Ugh. My new U Joints are too small.

Gonna take a shower and then Uber down to Napa with the old U Joint in hand.

Can't you just adjust the play out of the steering box? Cheaper than replacing it.
Apparently you can but it's recommended not to do so.
I'd rather do it the right way.

Last edited:

BilletMan

That's brilliant, braindead! The neutral safety switch is a GREAT route for killing the starter! You're not jacking with higher current wires, just the low current signal for the neutral switch! Brilliant!!

..... All it really takes though is one circuit to interrupt the neutral safety switch..... I didn't even want them to be able to crank it over.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I had a hidden switch that turned the fuel injection fuel pump off on my 1978 Chevy G30 van. They could crank all day and not get it to fire up. .

BilletMan

Braindead's idea is even better, the thieves don't even get it to crank...saves starter and battery....:up::up::up:

BilletMan

Yo CZ, you DO need a kill switch....my good friend had his 2005 Ford van ripped off the other day from Home Depot....3pm, people everywhere. He was in there for not even 5 minutes.....GONE!!

Last edited:

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
You sure that take off cluck isn't pinion issue?

I guess we shall see when ya put it all back in greased.

Top Bottom