So what motorcycle were you riding in highschool and what was your dream bike back then?

whipit1K

BAMF
I turned 16 a month into my junior year and already had a 1984 VT500 Ascot. Traded my beloved ATC350X for it. it was a great bike for a young buck, and I am glad I did not have a faster bike. I had it WFO/indicating 100mph + on a daily basis. Probably would have killed myself if I had a GSXR or something. This was 1990.

The next year I traded a quad for a 1988 FZ600. A very good second bike, actually. Faster than the VT500 Ascot, but not ridiculous. I think I saw 140 on the speedo if I held it on long enough. and I did quite a bit.

Then, in 1993 at the age of 18 I bought a nearly new, completely stock and perfect 1990 GSXR1100. wow, that thing had my attention. I am really glad I had the two slower bikes and years of dirtbike experience before I took off on that GSXR. It seemed like a rocket. loved that bike

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
1972 Hodaka 100, bought it new in Jackson Calif. My 10 years younger little brother promptly painted it silver with a rattle can he found in the garage, he painted everything.

shortly after that I got a 1974 Suzuki TM 250

Last edited:

chuck356

BAMF
I was riding a Penton 175 Jackpiner in the dirt, only street riding back then were borrowed rides on my buddy's dad's H2. The H2 went like hell in straight line and I terrorized the neighborhood pulling wheeelies on it when I could get my hands on it. My first street bike I owned would have to wait until after I graduated, a four year old '75 RD350. But I lusted after a '79 or newer CB750F at the time.

kawachan

BAMF
I am the youngest of 4. Before I was born, my oldest sister was hauling my brother around in the go kart my Dad bought when she was 5-6. She ran into a pile of bricks that promptly fell onto my brother. Mom told Pop to sell it and never get anything like it again so I grew up with nothing but a bicycle.

Finally Pop told me if I could buy it, anything I wanted could be mine. First off was a 71 SL125 my great uncle had. I wanted a Honda Interceptor in a bad way, but my first street bike was a 1987 Yamaha SRX 250 like this. First bike I saw 100 on the speedo.
Screenshot_20220120-054750_Samsung Internet.jpg
First new bike was a 1992 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit. I actually owned it twice and wish I had it back now! Fun bike to ride and it was first one I really started street racing. Buddy had a 500 Ninja and we used to tie up all the time.
Screenshot_20220120-054859_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wretch

amazingly graceful
First new bike was a 1992 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit. I actually owned it twice and wish I had it back now! Fun bike to ride and it was first one I really started street racing. Buddy had a 500 Ninja and we used to tie up all the time.
View attachment 89404

My first brand new bike as well.
Same paint scheme and fuck white wheels on anything.

3000 rpm and it was like the afterburners were lit.

Handled very well and would be a great track day bike.

Team222

BAMF
EAF2ED73-BFC7-458D-96CD-85BA4008C37E.jpeg
I turned 16 a month into my junior year and already had a 1984 VT500 Ascot. Traded my beloved ATC350X for it. it was a great bike for a young buck, and I am glad I did not have a faster bike. I had it WFO/indicating 100mph + on a daily basis. Probably would have killed myself if I had a GSXR or something. This was 1990.

The next year I traded a quad for a 1988 FZ600. A very good second bike, actually. Faster than the VT500 Ascot, but not ridiculous. I think I saw 140 on the speedo if I held it on long enough. and I did quite a bit.

Then, in 1993 at the age of 18 I bought a nearly new, completely stock and perfect 1990 GSXR1100. wow, that thing had my attention. I am really glad I had the two slower bikes and years of dirtbike experience before I took off on that GSXR. It seemed like a rocket. loved that bike
Are you looking to relive your youth? I have this for sale!

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Traded in my XL500 for this GS650E when I was a Junior.

Dream bikes?

Eddie Lawson Replica and the original Katana 1100.

I guess I did get my ELR in a way, with 3 different ZRX's.

The original Katana 1100? Never really pursued one in earnest, thinking "I've got time, maybe next year.." What a fool. 😕

Team222

BAMF
First bike was a Honda c50, when i was 12 years old, too young to drive legally on the streets, but that never stopped me:)

View attachment 89407

At 17 i got a Yamaha RD250LC

View attachment 89408

.... but i lusted after a CBX1000

View attachment 89409
I’m selling an 80 that need’s restored but is a real nice bike with the black body work done, a factory sport kit and any NOS or good used parts you would need, 22k miles on the clock, it was well taken care of, the needles on the gauges are still bright red, not faded to pink, a good indicator of more miles than the odometer shows.

Mecum starts the bike auction soon, here are the CBX listings to get an idea what these things will go for!

Request pictures through PM if your interested

Last edited:
OP
Website
cs.com
as far as wished I had...there was a guy with a KZ1000 who drove all the cops crazy. They'd wait for him to go by after work everyday. I dont think they actually wanted to catch him as much as chase him though. To my knowledge they never did catch him. I forgot his name, but we all howled every time we'd hear about the cops chasing him.
I wonder if its the same guy that used to run from the police on his bike pass the old Hayward cycle salvage on Mission street😏

ZRX61

BAMF
We graduate HS at 16 in the UK so restricted to mopeds until you're 17.
One of the teachers bought the third (she claimed) Rickman Z1 & she often rode it to school, That made an impression. I graduated in '76, fastest thing around was Dave Hoskings '76 Z900. At 17 I bought a S3 400 triple & put 250 badges on it. Been bleeding green ever since. :)
kaw1ac.jpg

whipit1K

BAMF
I am the youngest of 4. Before I was born, my oldest sister was hauling my brother around in the go kart my Dad bought when she was 5-6. She ran into a pile of bricks that promptly fell onto my brother. Mom told Pop to sell it and never get anything like it again so I grew up with nothing but a bicycle.

Finally Pop told me if I could buy it, anything I wanted could be mine. First off was a 71 SL125 my great uncle had. I wanted a Honda Interceptor in a bad way, but my first street bike was a 1987 Yamaha SRX 250 like this. First bike I saw 100 on the speedo.
View attachment 89403
View attachment 89404
These are great first bikes....I fixed up a sad bandit 400 around 2008-2010 or so....fun bike. I would buy another in a second

r1racer

All Q All the Time
Based on the muffler rush, you had a crash?
yes and no... had 89 fzr the same in picture but not that one.... post hurricane day almost decapitated.....

black cable tv down on nite road.... saw and felt it across my neck nearly simultaneously... thankfully was goin slow....

bike went into a fence... had road rash gravel embedded in both arms and chest.... nice hickie too....

ER nurses knew me from work.... they treated me well.... painful lesson learned.... shit happens....

new forks were installed.... courtesy of a check from local municipality.... sold after lawyer and pics....

Last edited:
OP
Website
cs.com
yes and no... had 89 fzr the same in picture but not that one.... post hurricane day almost decapitated.....

black cable tv down on nite road.... saw and felt it across my neck nearly simultaneously... thankfully was goin slow....

bike went into a fence... had road rash gravel embedded in both arms and chest.... nice hickie too....

ER nurses knew me from work.... they treated me well.... painful lesson learned.... shit happens....

new forks were installed.... courtesy of a check from local municipality.... sold after lawyer and pics....

View attachment 89636
Absolutely LOVED my VFR750 back in the day. Traded it for a VTEC 800 no regrets with that bike either. I did and DIDN'T want the VFR1200 for obvious reasons. I never bought one😐.

Top Bottom