So, if moving to California.......

VFR Rider

BAMF
Where would someone relocate in SoCal that is safe from crime, has decent housing at a price that is not outrageous for the market, and most importantly, close to good mountain roads for motorcycling.

I realize that many are leaving due to the local economy and taxes, as well as other reasons. But I have grown to hate winter and cold weather and have been daydreaming of living somewhere that has endless summers and great places to ride year around.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
I know a guy that's got a placed for rent in Rancho Santa Margarita. Close to the toll road, half hour to the beach, half hour to Ortega Highway, half hour to cars and coffee, half hour to Orange County airport, half hour to the shooting range, and hour end a half to Big Bear...

OP
VFR Rider

VFR Rider

BAMF
Saw a couple homes in Alpine Heights, east of San Diego, for just under $600,000 that were interesting, but would need some minor updates to suit me based on the pictures. Would be worth it to escape winter for the rest of my life while having good riding nearby. Would hope the prices keep the riff raff away from the area.

The one think stopping me would be ridiculous taxes I would have to pay to support all the fucking leftist policies and freeloaders.

The same money here would get you a new, all brick exterior home with modern interior finishes, on an acre of land, with about 5000 square foot of living space and an attached two car garage.

NORTY

BAMF
Where would someone relocate in SoCal that is safe from crime, has decent housing at a price that is not outrageous for the market, and most importantly, close to good mountain roads for motorcycling.

I realize that many are leaving due to the local economy and taxes, as well as other reasons. But I have grown to hate winter and cold weather and have been daydreaming of living somewhere that has endless summers and great places to ride year around.
Next door to Chris. He might even have an extra motorcycle for you to exercise...

And mountain roads? Oh yeahhh....

If you've upped your budget to $600K, then maybe something in Escondido. Alpine is going to be colder in the Winter. (I think it gets snow, but not sure.) Escondido is closer to civilization. But you can be in the hills in 20 mins. add another 15 mins and you're at Palomar...

Vegas12

BAMF+
Saw a couple homes in Alpine Heights, east of San Diego, for just under $600,000 that were interesting, but would need some minor updates to suit me based on the pictures. Would be worth it to escape winter for the rest of my life while having good riding nearby. Would hope the prices keep the riff raff away from the area.

The one think stopping me would be ridiculous taxes I would have to pay to support all the fucking leftist policies and freeloaders.

The same money here would get you a new, all brick exterior home with modern interior finishes, on an acre of land, with about 5000 square foot of living space and an attached two car garage.

it surprised me that commiefornia property taxes aren't that much, they are actually less than Kentucky based off %.....the inflated values are what drive up the actual amount paid.

Sales tax is about 2% more....not that big of a deal.

If you're still working, the state income tax is 8% more than KY.

Just rough numbers....if real estate is double in California and you spend 50k a year on taxable items....you're paying +-$2000 a year more in CA.

But if you make $100k a year, you're looking @ $8000 income tax.

$10,000 more to live there....

If you're not earning income, it's not horribly more expensive.

....It's purely subjective if that's worth it to you.

I feel like we're close enough to use the amenities, but not have to pay the surcharge.

But the weather extremes here do get annoying.......

I would go and check Escondito houses are cheaper lots of land for the money, Fallbrook, and if you don't mind the distance Temecula. As for me since I'm a surfer, fisherman, beach lover I like Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad and it depends what area you will still have crime. In Oceanside you'll have more military people so is Vista area.

My dream location if I win the lotto is La Jolla Cove, rich man's place and very very pricey, but get beautiful women living there, in fact all of Southern Calif get some beautiful women.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Hey, we got "weather extremes" too!:red:

It's gonna be 64F to 68F, the next 10 days. That wild temperature swing should amount for sumpthin'. :wink:

Ok, see? Right there, it's supposed to be partly cloudy next Tuesday! :moon:
I think our spring and fall are similar....we'll hit mid 70's this weekend.

Las Vegas winters are much colder and we won't talk about summers.

Billy V

BAMF
San Diego is going to be the spot you want to be..
Alpine - is east of The Beaches - will have more land to offer. Prices are still high, but not the extreme high of coastal. You're also right smack in great riding.

Red

BAMF
Website
www.WestCoastSportbikes.oRg

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
That is a nice spread!!!

Mom just checked....it's in escrow.

Taking back up offers...

• Red
Reactions: Red

Red

BAMF
Website
www.WestCoastSportbikes.oRg
#TheyWillBuildMore *

Aqualung

BAMF
I would go and check Escondito houses are cheaper lots of land for the money, Fallbrook, and if you don't mind the distance Temecula. As for me since I'm a surfer, fisherman, beach lover I like Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad and it depends what area you will still have crime. In Oceanside you'll have more military people so is Vista area.

My dream location if I win the lotto is La Jolla Cove, rich man's place and very very pricey, but get beautiful women living there, in fact all of Southern Calif get some beautiful women.
Fallbrook, yes. Do not do Temecula unless you don't mind 30 minutes to get off the freeway. I would suggest Norhell..er, Norco. Most homes are on a 1/2 + acres (horse property). Not far from the OC, LA and SD. Owned a place there for 10 years.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Fallbrook, yes. Do not do Temecula unless you don't mind 30 minutes to get off the freeway. I would suggest Norhell..er, Norco. Most homes are on a 1/2 + acres (horse property). Not far from the OC, LA and SD. Owned a place there for 10 years.
Was it me or did Norco always smell like cow shit (horse??) when driving through???

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
All I can say is that living in OC has been great. I moved to California from NJ back in '94 and I moved because I wanted what I thought Cali was all about, warm weather and beaches. That is exactly what you get living in OC.

My house is about 3ish miles as the crow flies to the beach in Laguna. Living close to the beach the weather is very consistent. Here it is typically 72 degrees almost year round. Yes is sometimes gets a little colder in the winter and there are a couple weeks in the summer and late fall when it gets pretty hot. But for the most part I don't run my AC or Heat much.

When you get further away from the beach the weather changes pretty quickly. Places further inland get a lot hotter. And places with elevation get a lot colder.

I also have some of the best mountain biking trails in the country in my backyard.

If you want to live near the beach though, you have to pay for it if you want a house. If you want a house with property you pay even more. You can get a townhouse at a much more affordable price. For example, my pretty small 3 bedroom house with almost no property will run about $700k. This is about the cheapest house you will find within 10 miles of the beach in OC. You can find townhouses for like $400k close to the beach.

The thing is, living in the OC is pretty damn sweet. The beaches are awesome. Huntington, Newport, Laguna, Dana Point, San Clemente these places are what California is all about. You are close to some great riding, Ortega, Angles Crest, Palomar, Mulholland, etc. all close enough to ride any Sunday you like. You can go skiing at big bear (about 1.5 hours drive) in the morning and surf Trestles in the afternoon.

I've traveled around the US and California a lot and I haven't come across a place I would rather live. It definitely has it's tradeoffs. If you want a big house with property you better be very well off if you want to live in the OC. I'm ok with not having a big house (it's just me here anyway) and although I would love to have a big yard for my dog and a place to store my RV on my property, I can't afford that and stay in this area. I might be able to find something with a bigger lot and on-site RV storage in Mission Viejo, but it would be an older fixer to be in my price range and I wouldn't be as close to the beach or trails.

My advice would echo what bandit man said. If you are thinking of moving here I would come out and spend some time looking around. There are a lot of nice places to live in SoCal, it all depends on your priorities. I'd be happy to show you around the OC. I'm sure YSR would show you around as well, but you would have to buy him tons of food, man can that guy eat :)

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
Was it me or did Norco always smell like cow shit (horse??) when driving through???
it used to because of all the dairy farms. They are all gone now though, replaced by warehouses and industrial buildings so it doesn't smell anymore.

I remember when I moved to Cali, I drove across the country. I came down the Cajon Pass and into the smog and smell that was Norco at the time. I thought, oh fuck, this is where I'm moving too?

But then as I got closer to where I was going to live in Newport Beach it didn't smell so bad, I was very relieved.

BigGar

high on placebo
I live in the west side of Vista, about six miles from the water.

Vista it pretty much the Goldilocks zone in terms of weather. I can easily get by without central air here, but we get a lot more sunny days than they do on the coast. Another five miles inland to San Marcos and it's noticeably hotter on the warm days. Another ten to Escondido and you're really going to need a/c in the summer. We might get a few days over 100 here a year but average temperature is in the seventies year round. Cool nights almost always. It's probably among the best climates on the planet. Maybe a dozen or so actual rainy days per year, and you really love it when it does. Coming from Michigan, the near absolute predictability of the weather here is amazing. Entry level detached homes here are 500 - 600K. Sounds crazy, but at 3% interest it's really not that awful. Property tax is around 1% I think.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
If you want "safe" and near Los Angeles without Los Angeles prices, then Simi Valley is probably the way to go.
It's about a 20-30 minute ride to some of the best riding in SoCal.
Kind of a boring little city tucked in all by itself. "Bubbled up" is the best way I can describe it vs. the rest of SoCal.

I was just reading that California is the #2 destination for Texans leaving Texas. :eek:

I wouldn't go back there unless I had a job paying $200k/annual.

It's one thing to live in a place that has everything to offer and it's another to live there but not be able to afford to do one damn thing.

Anonymous Elvis 5

Anonymous Lurker Poop
I live in the west side of Vista, about six miles from the water.

Vista it pretty much the Goldilocks zone in terms of weather. I can easily get by without central air here, but we get a lot more sunny days than they do on the coast. Another five miles inland to San Marcos and it's noticeably hotter on the warm days. Another ten to Escondido and you're really going to need a/c in the summer. We might get a few days over 100 here a year but average temperature is in the seventies year round. Cool nights almost always. It's probably among the best climates on the planet. Maybe a dozen or so actual rainy days per year, and you really love it when it does. Coming from Michigan, the near absolute predictability of the weather here is amazing. Entry level detached homes here are 500 - 600K. Sounds crazy, but at 3% interest it's really not that awful. Property tax is around 1% I think.
I stayed In mission hills or whatever when I was running with a cougar...

God damn I'm dumb.

scottcolbath

BAMF+

I'd say the best area in SoCal would be Tucson, Az. :)

S.C.

OP
VFR Rider

VFR Rider

BAMF
All I can say is that living in OC has been great. I moved to California from NJ back in '94 and I moved because I wanted what I thought Cali was all about, warm weather and beaches. That is exactly what you get living in OC.

My house is about 3ish miles as the crow flies to the beach in Laguna. Living close to the beach the weather is very consistent. Here it is typically 72 degrees almost year round. Yes is sometimes gets a little colder in the winter and there are a couple weeks in the summer and late fall when it gets pretty hot. But for the most part I don't run my AC or Heat much.

When you get further away from the beach the weather changes pretty quickly. Places further inland get a lot hotter. And places with elevation get a lot colder.

I also have some of the best mountain biking trails in the country in my backyard.

If you want to live near the beach though, you have to pay for it if you want a house. If you want a house with property you pay even more. You can get a townhouse at a much more affordable price. For example, my pretty small 3 bedroom house with almost no property will run about $700k. This is about the cheapest house you will find within 10 miles of the beach in OC. You can find townhouses for like $400k close to the beach.

The thing is, living in the OC is pretty damn sweet. The beaches are awesome. Huntington, Newport, Laguna, Dana Point, San Clemente these places are what California is all about. You are close to some great riding, Ortega, Angles Crest, Palomar, Mulholland, etc. all close enough to ride any Sunday you like. You can go skiing at big bear (about 1.5 hours drive) in the morning and surf Trestles in the afternoon.

I've traveled around the US and California a lot and I haven't come across a place I would rather live. It definitely has it's tradeoffs. If you want a big house with property you better be very well off if you want to live in the OC. I'm ok with not having a big house (it's just me here anyway) and although I would love to have a big yard for my dog and a place to store my RV on my property, I can't afford that and stay in this area. I might be able to find something with a bigger lot and on-site RV storage in Mission Viejo, but it would be an older fixer to be in my price range and I wouldn't be as close to the beach or trails.

My advice would echo what bandit man said. If you are thinking of moving here I would come out and spend some time looking around. There are a lot of nice places to live in SoCal, it all depends on your priorities. I'd be happy to show you around the OC. I'm sure YSR would show you around as well, but you would have to buy him tons of food, man can that guy eat :)
Sounds like Orange County is the place to be if you can swing it. I would be willing to spend up to $700,000 for the right kind of place with a nice garage, and a low crime rate. I retired at age 56 and immediately started dreaming of living in a place where it's close to summer weather all year long. Winter here is not too bad compared to places north, but I still hate the cold. If we did not have cold weather I would not think of leaving.

I would be flying out in the early spring to look at properties if I thought I could get the wife to go along with it. Not a thing wrong with where I live. I just want to be somewhere that I can wear shorts and a tee shirt every day, and ride my motorcycles whenever the mood strikes. Going to the beach would be nice as well.

CZLoco

California beaches are too cold to swim comfortably without a wetsuit. Pretty much year-round.
At least, to someone who grew up on the Atlantic ocean which was warm year-round.

I'd take $700K to Costa Rica and live like a millionaire in a huge gated/guarded community.

Stites

Kawapuke in training
California beaches are too cold to swim comfortably without a wetsuit. Pretty much year-round.
At least, to someone who grew up on the Atlantic ocean which was warm year-round.

I'd take $700K to Costa Rica and live like a millionaire in a huge gated/guarded community.
Come swim in Tahoe.....coldest fucking water I have ever swam in.......a 100 degree day it’s quite refreshing

BigGar

high on placebo
Sounds like Orange County is the place to be if you can swing it. I would be willing to spend up to $700,000 for the right kind of place with a nice garage, and a low crime rate. I retired at age 56 and immediately started dreaming of living in a place where it's close to summer weather all year long. Winter here is not too bad compared to places north, but I still hate the cold. If we did not have cold weather I would not think of leaving.

I would be flying out in the early spring to look at properties if I thought I could get the wife to go along with it. Not a thing wrong with where I live. I just want to be somewhere that I can wear shorts and a tee shirt every day, and ride my motorcycles whenever the mood strikes. Going to the beach would be nice as well.
You could probably find something in Vista for that ballpark.

This is an intriguing idea. I've wanted to visit CR. Have you been recently (last ten years?)

CZLoco

This is an intriguing idea. I've wanted to visit CR. Have you been recently (last ten years?)
I've only been to the border. Not sure I've actually crossed into Costa Rica itself.

Panama and Costa Rica are very much alike in foods and attitude and of course, language.
Costa Rica is a bit more backwards in terms of industry/commerce/laws, which is nice.
It's probably more like Panama of the 70's which was a good time to be in Panama.
You could do stupid things and almost nobody cared.
Lots of friends and relatives go to CR every year on vacation.
My older Cousin (who grew up in Panama also) is retired in FL and she talks about how many of her Panama friends are retiring to Costa Rica.

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
You may want to avoid northeast Ohio for a little while. Current weather:
Well THAT was enjoyable. We just went 16 hours without electricity, heat, water, or internet service. Still snowing, but at least the electrical service is back on. Definitely scratch NE Ohio off your list.

Top Bottom