So, I Think I Have a Horse Now...

nomad

TRANSVAXXITE
For a recreational rider, horse ownership is usually much less expensive at home
$16 bale of hay x 73 bales $1,168
that would be overfeeding
$100 farrier every 6 weeks x9 $900
Shots maybe $200
Dentistry $200

That's a bit less than $2,500 a year.
Barns, stalls, trucks, trailers, saddles are extra
Damn! and what does the local glue factory pay for them?

where are glue factories anyways???? hmmmm
asking for a giraffe ...

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Well, Latte is on his way to the farm. The owner of the place was amazed at how well he'd recovered in such a short time, and agreed to take him on earlier than planned. I was was sad to see him go, but it's a way better situation for him than I could have given him. It was fun to have him around for a while. There are some big storms headed this way, and it's better that he'll be in a proper barn/corral than in the small shelter I had for him.

Not the ideal way to transport a horse, but he only has to go about ten miles- that's the guy who owns the bull in the earlier pic I posted, so he's used to moving big animals around in his truck:

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Yeah, it's a bit sad- while he was always pretty calm, most people were afraid to go near him except for the maintenance guy and me (and I'm the only one who would pet him), so I think he was kinda lonely- now he'll have other horses around. It's the best thing, though I wasn't expecting to lose him until later in the spring. I still haven't even received some horse accessories I ordered last week- what are ya gonna do?

BigGar

high on placebo
Now you've got an excuse to bring him the new toys when they arrive.
I've roamed around my client's stables a bit.
Horses make me nervous, and they fucking know it.
Even when I'm trying to give them sugar cubes.
Dogs are a different story.
I gave a client's three Golden Retrievers some leftover "organic" (shitty) beef jerky.
Those fuckers loved it and absolutely maul me every time I'm at the house.
Goldens may be dumb as stumps in the dog world, but they remember the fucking beef jerky.

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Now you've got an excuse to bring him the new toys when they arrive.
I've roamed around my client's stables a bit.
Horses make me nervous, and they fucking know it.
Even when I'm trying to give them sugar cubes.
I'm the opposite- the 'friendly idiot who's too dumb to be worried' approach has served me well so far- sure, it will get me crippled or killed eventually, but, so far, aces.:up:

I went and checked out the farm yesterday- it's a really nice place and I'm happy he's there.

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
If this were twenty years ago and I was still young and single and running free in SE Asia, I'd follow this thread up with one entitled, 'So, I Think I Have a Whore Now'- getting older and domesticated has its drawbacks. :wink2:

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Thanks, I feel good about it, but I missed having him around the last few days. The guy who runs the farm said we spoiled him with all the goodies we fed him and he was being picky about his food, so I'd imagine he misses us a bit as well. :wink2:

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
There's a very small chance we might end up with this pony (that's a pic from their website- it's not my kid or staff)- maybe after the summer. I saw her at the farm and she's a real sweetie (she runs over like a dog when called), but they're moving to larger horses and have limited space. That will be a whole new thread if it transpires.

It probably won't happen, but the farm owner likes our set-up and wants us to take her- he said he'd give us one of his guys for a week to train our staff (and me) to properly care for her. We'll see...

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I still have a saddle for your daughter. Its a padded western with a low horn. Nothing special, but its decent. Both my daughters learned to ride with it.
Again, thanks for that offer. Let me see what happens with the pony- it's not a sure thing, but it could happen. If it does, I'll have a lot of questions for you. It might come to the point of, 'Geez, this guy is driving me nuts, and I'm giving him a damned saddle.':wink2:

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Just a small update- the rabbits and the hairy chickens have accepted each other's right to exist (after a short power struggle with no clear victor). As it's been hot as hell the last few days, a cooler jug filled with ice has become the popular hang-out spot:

Top Bottom