So, I Think I Have a Horse Now...

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
OK, stranded baby birds, rabbits, injured dogs... I've done my part over the years here in Thailand as far as animals go, both in time and money. I'm a soft touch, and I try to set a good example for my kid.

There's a large open field near my wife's business (several acres), and locals like to let their animals roam around and eat grass- mostly cows, buffalo, and goats (I've even got a goat I consider 'mine'- he's like a dog, and always wants to be petted and wags his tail- the other goats are very standoffish and have a 'fuck you- gimme a carrot or piss off' attitude, but Rocky is cool). Today I'm walking the dog (the rescue husky from an earlier thread), and a guy walks over to me with a scruffy-looking horse on a lead. He doesn't speak any English and he uses the weird (to me) Northern/hilltribe dialect, so, other than exchanging pleasantries, I'm not sure exactly what he's talking about- I get the idea he's trying to sell me the horse. I tell him 'no, thanks', but he's really wants to talk to me, so I call one of the wife's staff over to translate.

It turns out a local cafe used to keep the horse on their grounds, but they went bust in the shitty Covid economy and basically abandoned the horse when they closed up shop, and the guy was taking care of it but couldn't handle it as he's a buffalo man, not a horseman, and he wanted to just give it to me (also he didn't have the money to do what the horse needed done). I explain I'm a city boy and know jackshit about horses, and I'm not the one for this mission- he says he understands and leaves. Later in the day I see the horse tied to a tree and the guy nowhere in sight, and it doesn't look like he's coming back- motherfucker...

I brought a bucket of water and some veggies for the thing (there's a shitload of grass he can eat, so that's no issue), but it looks like he needs medical attention and care I just don't know how to give. He's very friendly and is fine with being approached and touched, and I'm guessing he's been saddled, but I really have no idea- my horse experience in going on a pony ride once when I was five...

The vet is gonna come over tomorrow to look at him, and she said she can possibly find a place for him, but I have to take care of him until then.

Look at this poor, skinny, dirty bastard- I'm not sure if that hair loss is from a saddle- it doesn't look like a skin problem- I just don't know- his hooves likely need attention as well:

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Thanks, but I'm gonna try to pass this one on to someone more experienced ASAP. A baby bird that fell out of a nest is one thing, but this one is over my head. I'm pretty much limited to feeding and petting it and saying, 'Good horse!', and it needs way more than that- I wouldn't have impressed Little Joe and Hoss on The Ponderosa. :biggrin1a:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Thanks, but I'm gonna try to pass this one on to someone more experienced ASAP. A baby bird that fell out of a nest is one thing, but this one is over my head. I'm pretty much limited to feeding and petting it and saying, 'Good horse!', and it needs way more than that- I wouldn't have impressed Little Joe and Hoss on The Ponderosa. :biggrin1a:
Maybe get a brush if the vet says it's skin can handle it.

They love being brushed and carrots or apples too...

...if you end up keeping it a little while.

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Yeah, I'm gonna try tomorrow (it's the evening here). I'm kinda tentative as I don't wanna spook him and get kicked into next week (I want to look at his hooves, but I've never lifted a horse's leg, and I can see fucking that up by not doing it properly or in the correct, safe position)- a horse doesn't strike me as an animal you just 'learn by doing', and actual technical knowledge is required.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Yeah, I'm gonna try tomorrow (it's the evening here). I'm kinda tentative as I don't wanna spook him and get kicked into next week (I want to look at his hooves, but I've never lifted a horse's leg, and I can see fucking that up by not doing it properly or in the correct, safe position)- a horse doesn't strike me as an animal you just 'learn by doing', and actual technical knowledge is required.
Find a local farrier for it's feet, no need to risk hurting you or not being able to help it.

To avoid getting kicked, don't walk around behind it and always calm soothing speaking tones, side of front shoulder touches/rubs/brushing motion, no pats until you know it's okay with you doing so.
Rub pat the neck once it's okay with you being that close, don't rush it.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I worried that will be like finding a local snowmobile salesman, but I'm gonna try- the vet will hopefully know one. :wink2:
Ever hear the term "wooden shoes" on a horse? There was a couple horses on a farm I'd drive by every day, they had a couple horses that looked to have never had their hooves taken care of. Fuckers were curled over the front like... wooded shoes.

Bandit Man

BAMF
That hair loss looks like rain rot. Its common in a wet area. Should clear up with regular attention.

You are right in thinking its hard to learn as you go with large animals. They are trying to kill themselves every day and you have to stay one step ahead of them.

Maybe one of the buffalo people has a little experience with them and can show you the basics. Hopefully the vet comes through for both of you and it goes to a good home close by so you can go visit with your little munchkin.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Horse needs wormed, needs vitamins, and checked for parasites.

White feet are soft and not as tough as black feet. Probably has thrush.

You can pick up a front foot pretty easily by standing close, facing rearward, running your hand down his leg, grasping foot at fetlock, lifting on foot while shouldering against the horses shoulder tipping his weight awayfrom you. Back legs are a bit more complcated.

Horses are hard to maintain. They get sick easy.

Motorcycles are better.

Fever500

BAMF
Stand next to the horse's shoulder facing the rear. Slide your hand down the leg and grab little piece of dry skin behind the knee with hand closest to horse. Give it a squeeze and a little twist of the wrist ... grab under the fetlock when the horse raises it's leg .... due to you squeezing that spot .. it's actually a vestigal finger.

After you can do that well we can graduate to the rear legs ...lol

Horses go from sweet and wanting to please, to being unpredictable and dangerous. They go from easy to care for and never ailing to one injury or ailment after another.
I've got a 20 year old gelding that needs a farrier once or twice a year, no shoes, shots, and worming twice a year, sharp edges on teeth ground off yearly. Not expensive.
My other two get shoes every 6 to 8 weeks plus the regular maintenance.
For rain rot I horse shampoo and Betadine mixed, scrub gently and rinse thoroughly.
Horses can sunburn, so I'd watch for that, and drink up to 20 gal of water a day.

I consider a halter left on is potenially dangerous, and a lead rope even more dangerous to a horse left alone. Some are mellow, while others look for a way to kill themselves.
This guy might surprise you by following you and your kids around like a puppy.
Good luck

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Horse needs wormed, needs vitamins, and checked for parasites.

White feet are soft and not as tough as black feet. Probably has thrush.

You can pick up a front foot pretty easily by standing close, facing rearward, running your hand down his leg, grasping foot at fetlock, lifting on foot while shouldering against the horses shoulder tipping his weight awayfrom you. Back legs are a bit more complcated.

Horses are hard to maintain. They get sick easy.

Motorcycles are better.
Stand next to the horse's shoulder facing the rear. Slide your hand down the leg and grab little piece of dry skin behind the knee with hand closest to horse. Give it a squeeze and a little twist of the wrist ... grab under the fetlock when the horse raises it's leg .... due to you squeezing that spot .. it's actually a vestigal finger.

After you can do that well we can graduate to the rear legs ...lol

You guys do remember that Brian is from the big city and doesn't need to try this stuff cold and without in person guidance?

Snail

Lifting and cleaning your horse's hooves was required skill before a 4H member could trail ride. 13 year old girls were capable of that..I expect Brian is too.

Vicious_Cycle

HOLYBAMF
The farriers I've seen have made it look super simple. There's no substitute for experience. You got this!
Also, I looked this up for you; looks like you just hit the lotto! :up::up:
Horse meat varies in color. Meat from younger horses is lighter in color and flavor, while meat from older horses has a deeper color and flavor. Horse meat is lean, typically, and relatively tender. Older horses are considered to have the most tender meat — different than say veal from a cow.
Horse meat is a bit sweet in taste. Some think it is a blend between beef (a cow) and venison (deer). People use it similar to the way they use beef, putting it in sandwiches, or serving it in a slab. The cooking time is generally shorter than that of beef, in part because of its lean qualities.

Snail

Super simple gets super complicated when dealing with rough stock instead of 4H horses.

The ranch I worked on had 400 horses. The ones we bred for rodeo stock were mean.

We crossed Thoroughbred mares with Percheron studs. Big, and hot blooded.

The saddle horses weren't exacly "rider friendly". We would throw the saddle horses to work on them...the rodeo stock got the tranc gun.

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lifting and cleaning your horse's hooves was required skill before a 4H member could trail ride. 13 year old girls were capable of that..I expect Brian is too.
The issue isn't 'capability'- I'm sure I could learn. I'd imagine those 13-year-old girls had a bit of instruction and guidance though- it wasn't, 'See that unknown horse over there, the one that just showed up today and about whose tendencies we're completely clueless? The type of animal you know nothing about in general and have never handled in your life? Go check his hooves, sweetie.' :biggrin1a:

Snail

Even the girls have to be tough to live out west. You can do it. Watch the horses ears as you approach it. If it lays its ears back its about to get rowdy.

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I would just like someone who has more experience than me (at the moment, that would include anyone who's checked a horse's hooves once, or even watched someone else do it, or perhaps has read 'Black Beauty') to show me how it's done before I attempt it. Now I gotta figure out how the leg works and how to safely (for both me and the horse) handle it, watch the ears for rowdiness, deal with the fact the horse will sense I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing and might kick me for fear, fun, or exercise, etc- screw that.:biggrin1a:

And, yes, my plan is to put it in the hands of a competent handler ASAP- I have no 'My Little Pony' fantasies (my kid is a different story, but too bad :razz:).

Snail

Keep the kid away from the horse or you will have a horse whether you like it or not.

Seriously though, check one front foot. My guess its a mess. A healthy foot doesnt stink, is dry, with a clean frog. 3 parts of the hoof, hard outside layer, the sole, and the frog.

Black stinking cracked fetid pukey= BAD.

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
And now I gotta figure out what a 'frog' is in relation to a horse's hoof- the difficulty level keeps rising... :wink2:

There are one or two horse rescue organizations in Thailand (if it was an elephant it would be no problem to find a place for it, but horses are more difficult) that might take it, but, like everywhere else, they've probably scaled back lately due to lack of tourism and funds. I'll have the wife call around- if I do it, I'll get the 'foreigner' rate on transport and whatever else is associated with taking the thing.

Snail

The frog is a v shaped part of the foot that pumps blood out of the hoof. The wide part of the frog is at the heel, with the front part extending half way to the toe.

Horses feet are difficult to maintain in wet environment.

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I looked it up (and I'm just kidding around- I appreciate your help- I wish you were here :wink2:).

We're at the end of a four month dry season (it rained once during that time), so hopefully the hooves are OK from that perspective.

Snail

Look at the angle the hoof to ground, compare it to the angle of the front edge of the shoulder, they should be similar.

I can tell how old it is by viewing a profile view of its teeth.

I can describe how to open its mouth if you'd like.

Austin_F

BAMF+
oh i know that one.

take your thumb and middle finger and go under his jaw, and press in at the corners of his mouth.

At least thats how i was trained to open a horses mouth so you could put the bit for the bridle in.

Snail

Looking closely at his feet I can see multiple problems. He appears to be favouring his right front, it looks swollen like advanced ring bone. His other feet look bad too...white feet =bad.
Lead him around and see if he limps, favors a foot, or swings a foot wide.

Judging from the pic view of his mouth would indicate a young horse.

Snail

A limp or impaired gait shows up best at a trot. His right front knee looks fucked up.

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I'm pretty sure this isn't the only horse in Thailand, someone must have horse experience there, find them .. or send him here, I was back of a horse before I could walk.
That's the plan- I have zero intention of keeping it- I don't want a horse, but I'll help out with getting it properly situated. I feel badly that it was abandoned and neglected, but I'm clueless as to what to do with it (that will change as I look into available options- the thing was left at 5:30PM last night- it's 8:15AM now, so there hasn't been time to do anything yet).

When I said my horse experience is limited to a pony ride when I was five, that wasn't a joke- since then, I have never ridden one. :biggrin1a:

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
A couple more pics- he let me take a quick look at his front hoof (which seemed OK, but what do I know?), but not for long enough to take a pic of it:

A closer shot of the issue he has on his back:

And, of course...

• Red
Reactions: Red
Top Bottom