Skimmers

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I use BP gas stations around and if I spend 100 bucks in a month fuel they give me five cents off a gallon up to 20 gallons on their loyality program. They just switched to an app that when I pull up to the pump I put in which pump I am at and it Automatically unlocks the pump then what ever the charge is goes directly to my linked Amex card. I wonder how soon that will be scammed liked the pump readers are being hacked.

Another Reason to Not Pay for Gas at the Pump

rumble phish

BAMF+
99% of the time I walk my card in to the counter, but even that got me fucked one time. Cash is king.

Local story here had a Stop'n'Sip type gas station where scammers used a cellular BT device in the pump to skim info from folk's cell phones along with the card info.

Austin_F

BAMF+
yeah i give the card read a tug if its the type that sticks out. Most are flush against the machine now so a skimmer would.....stick out.

my local grocer has a loyalty program that rewards with fuel also. The best deals are wine. An $8 bottle of wine will get $0.30 off a gallon for 20 gallons. Stock up on wine and you'll gas up for free.

i realize they are selling my shopping info. I dont care who knows that i buy jumbo eggs and cinnamon/raisin bagels.

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Damn... it looks like i could be living on Easy Street if i just bought everything on credit...

Cash will always be King...

Fuck the jumbo eggs and cinnamon/raisin bagel police sideways...:biggar:

I just cashed in 300k of Amex points. My last two First class Airline tickets where also free thanks to points. Cash is only king when they dont take Amex. ,:)

Austin_F

BAMF+
last couple generations of samsung phones have MST function, they can simulate a card swipe if you hold it close to the magnetic reader. And it uses a virtual number. I might try that at a pump.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Damn... it looks like i could be living on Easy Street if i just bought everything on credit...
Cash will always be King...Fuck the jumbo eggs and cinnamon/raisin bagel police sideways...:biggar:
I get it but that line of thinking is so prehistoric its not even funny. If you plan to travel to shitholes... have fun packing a cash belt or 4. Credit cards are portable spending power. Try carrying around $50,000 and spending it.
Thats not to say I dont have a few five hundy on me at anytime but... credit > cash

This year Im on pace for ~$3000 in costco gift certificates for simply using their card for my normal purchases and expenses.
Thats $3k for doing nothing out of the ordinary. The card costs $120/yr

Vegas12

BAMF+
I get it but that line of thinking is so prehistoric its not even funny. If you plan to travel to shitholes... have fun packing a cash belt or 4. Credit cards are portable spending power. Try carrying around $50,000 and spending it.
Thats not to say I dont have a few five hundy on me at anytime but... credit > cash

This year Im on pace for ~$3000 in costco gift certificates for simply using their card for my normal purchases and expenses.

It's deja vu all over again...

He didn't get it before, he won't get it now.

He just cannot grasp it's free money if it's paid off within 30 days.....no interest has to be paid EVER.

Buddy just bought $5,000 worth of glass for his new construction....I paid for it with a 2% cash back card; $100 to me for doing nothing.

Card was paid within 2 weeks.....

Signed:

About to get another vacation paid for using points accumulated by paying for every day items with plastic.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I use BP gas stations around and if I spend 100 bucks in a month fuel they give me five cents off a gallon up to 20 gallons on their loyality program. They just switched to an app that when I pull up to the pump I put in which pump I am at and it Automatically unlocks the pump then what ever the charge is goes directly to my linked Amex card. I wonder how soon that will be scammed liked the pump readers are being hacked.

Another Reason to Not Pay for Gas at the Pump

My maff is lacking at the moment....

You get a dollar off for every 20 gallons of fuel you buy??

We have the grocery store rewards thingy here.

1 cent off a gallon for every $1 spent.

$500 spent a month on groceries, Rx etc..is $.50 off a gallon up to 35 gallons....been up to $.90 a few times.

We've been timing it right where we fill up both cars at the same time to get the full 35 gallons since it doesn't roll over.

My old truck used to take 35 gallons by itself...

OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
My maff is lacking at the moment....

You get a dollar off for every 20 gallons of fuel you buy??

We have the grocery store rewards thingy here.

1 cent off a gallon for every $1 spent.

$500 spent a month on groceries, Rx etc..is $.50 off a gallon up to 35 gallons....been up to $.90 a few times.

We've been timing it right where we fill up both cars at the same time to get the full 35 gallons since it doesn't roll over.

My old truck used to take 35 gallons by itself...

Ammoco/BP has a loyality program. Their credit card gives you a higher return then just the loyality app.. but I rather pay it with Amex as I'm not limited to just gas.

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+
Ammoco/BP has a loyality program. Their credit card gives you a higher return then just the loyality app.. but I rather pay it with Amex as I'm not limited to just gas.
Right on....was just making sure it was $1.

But a dollar is a dollar....some people, we shall not mention names, would rather not take advantage of any rewards because.......well, just because.

Austin_F

BAMF+
My last 3 credit cards had huge sign on bonuses. Hundreds of dollars. Free money and they all have a 0 balance at the end of the month.

Amex and discover have 5% cash back on rotating items like groceries.

Last year if you paid with a capital one card , spotify premium was only $5 a month.

Brokenfly

BAMF+
2% everything cash back citi card for years,

Balance paid in full every month.free money can add up.

Last edited:

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com

all these years here... and i am finally getting pigeonholed ...

i wish i had the chance to spend that kind of $$$...

not much to buy here in Maine ... but the bar is well stocked thanks to NH State and Kappy's...

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
Our Bankamerica cards used to be 2% back, but after 15 years we got bumped up a couple years ago.

We don't get back as much as we used to since we now travel a lot with the RV, fewer hotel rooms on the card.

But we still get back over a couple grand a year. Either get gift cards, or pay off the card like we do every month anyway...

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
It's deja vu all over again...

He didn't get it before, he won't get it now.

He just cannot grasp it's free money if it's paid off within 30 days.....no interest has to be paid EVER.

Buddy just bought $5,000 worth of glass for his new construction....I paid for it with a 2% cash back card; $100 to me for doing nothing.

Card was paid within 2 weeks.....

Signed:

About to get another vacation paid for using points accumulated by paying for every day items with plastic.

You get a vacation...? damn... my last vacation i went on... i was 18...

but i live in Vacation Land and spend my day making young lovers wishes come true...

the $$$$$-Drugs-Groupies are just a by-product of the constant extrusion of good Karma

Dameon

BAMF+
The less I interact with the mouth breathers in the local Stop-n-Rob, the better my day goes...
I can't stand gas stations... whether I deal with humans or not. I had to fill up my International this weekend along with my 50 gallon drum for my tractor. Fuckin' pump stopped at $95. Swiped card again and it said frequent use... please try later. I ended up using another card to finish pumping. Diesel is $2.64 here. Seemed high to me, but I don't buy that often. Off road may be a better choice these days.

Vegas12

BAMF+
You get a vacation...? damn... my last vacation i went on... i was 18...

but i live in Vacation Land and spend my day making young lovers wishes come true...

the $$$$$-Drugs-Groupies are just a by-product of the constant extrusion of good Karma
So I took the grandkids to some santa/north pole train thingy 4 hours away.

Rented a big ass church van.

Rental ....free!!

Hotel room......free!!

4% cash back on all food (let me guess, you don't eat either)

Vinny, just stop already....not one person agrees with you regarding this, yet you bring it up every time someone shares a rewards card or program.

And while I rarely left the west coast because all the money was tied up in boats, PWC, off road vehicles etc...I recently discovered the Caribbean and can't wait to do it every chance we get....especially since it's almost....you guessed it....free!!

Top Bottom