Sitting in the Aamco

rumble phish

BAMF+
Wasn't sure what emoji to give this one...

I wanted to thumbs down because transmission issues suck balls.
I wanted to thumbs up because I feel the same way when it comes to shit theses days... pay someone else to deal with the headaches (especially transmissions!).

So, in the end I just gave it a "Red" :lol:

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Third gear you say .. Is it a BMW?
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD with 250K on the clock. This truck has been good to me. I bought it new and have had little to bitch about over the past 16 years. I've been wondering when I would experience some sort of issue that would not be cheap. This one, assuming it's only the solenoid pack, will cost me about $850. If they get in there and tell me it's going to be a bigger job I may just tell them to button it back up, and sell it as is. The girlfriend has a Ford Ranger I'll buy from her.

S.C.

Rocco

BAMF
A pint of brake fluid poured in could help or so says the used car managers of olde'.

Very effective short term fix for pressure loss on some failing transmissions, but it will usually blow out good seals later. People use it to get rid of a problem car.

-

Jeff1216

BAMF
Hope you are not back in with bigger issues next week....... I am the former east coast operations manager for AAMCO over roughly 200 locations.

Transmission techs/rebuilders are a dead trade and most of the "techs" were oil change helpers at JiffyLube just a few weeks prior. It is where shitty techs go to die.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Hope you are not back in with bigger issues next week....... I am the former east coast operations manager for AAMCO over roughly 200 locations.

Transmission techs/rebuilders are a dead trade and most of the "techs" were oil change helpers at JiffyLube just a few weeks prior. It is where shitty techs go to die.
I feel rather confident in this repair. Time will tell.

S.C.

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
I had a supercharged Park Avenue that threw a trans-related code after I floored it in reverse. I think it's the only transmission-related code I've ever seen on one of my cars.
It still drove perfectly, but I took it to an AAMCO for them to check it out. Bad news, they said. I need a transmission rebuild. They couldn't tell me for sure what it was going to cost until they got it apart, but they would help me out and try to re-use as many of my parts as possible. It was going to be a grand for sure, and possibly two.
I said fuck it, the car drives fine, I'm gonna keep driving it.
Bad idea, they said. The trans is about to frag, and when it does, it's going to ruin absolutely everything in inside the case.. Then the rebuild will cost twice as much, plus I'll have to pay for an expensive tow.

So I grabbed my keys and left. Put another 50k miles on it, then sold it to a friend who put at least that many on it... trouble-free. 🤷‍♂️
I don't trust anyone anymore, but if I had to rank them, AAMCO would be at the top of the list of shops I do not trust. I've heard many horror stories...

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I had a supercharged Park Avenue that threw a trans-related code after I floored it in reverse. I think it's the only transmission-related code I've ever seen on one of my cars.
It still drove perfectly, but I took it to an AAMCO for them to check it out. Bad news, they said. I need a transmission rebuild. They couldn't tell me for sure what it was going to cost until they got it apart, but they would help me out and try to re-use as many of my parts as possible. It was going to be a grand for sure, and possibly two.
I said fuck it, the car drives fine, I'm gonna keep driving it.
Bad idea, they said. The trans is about to frag, and when it does, it's going to ruin absolutely everything in inside the case.. Then the rebuild will cost twice as much, plus I'll have to pay for an expensive tow.

So I grabbed my keys and left. Put another 50k miles on it, then sold it to a friend who put at least that many on it... trouble-free. 🤷‍♂️
I don't trust anyone anymore, but if I had to rank them, AAMCO would be at the top of the list of shops I do not trust. I've heard many horror stories...
I called two Aamco shops. I got a bad feeling from the first one. When I presented them with the scenario of just installing a new solenoid pack, filter and fluid, they gave me that same story you got, and would not commit to my scenario, even after telling them that if I'm wrong, I eat the cost.

Second one had no problem giving me a price based on the scenario. $850. They also said if they open it up and there's more trouble, they would let me know, and we could discuss the plan of action. That was good enough for me, and in the end it worked out exactly as planned.

There are still solid people out there. You just need to be able to sniff them out.

S.C.

Top Bottom