Sitin here waiting for the tow truck

OP
Snail

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
I've already blown up 2 engines in this truck, in less than 100 miles, the thrill doing that is gone. It takes too much time replacing engines, cleaning up the mess, etc.

The good times are the best times,
The bad times fade away...

Sail, the B-15 is a factory race engine designed for boost. Plus all our stuff will match. Almost plug an play.

The good times last forever,
But the last time is today.

J. Giles

OP
Snail

Snail

No way I'd get a different tuner. For every billed hour hes put in three he doesnt charge for. He makes evertthing right, always has. 25 years doing business with him without a complaint.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
No way I'd get a different tuner. For every billed hour hes put in three he doesnt charge for. He makes evertthing right, always has. 25 years doing business with him without a complaint.
Is he going to make this right if cause is lean tune??

• Red
Reactions: Red
OP
Snail

Snail

If there's an issue with the A/F ratio it will be in the tuning software. We went through it brfore we took the truck off the jackstands.

I watched him scroll throgh the program, it eas tuned 14/1 neutral throttle decreasing to 10/1 during acceleration.

The GM tech said quiet clearly thst engine doesn't like boost.

Tim didnt sell me the engine, i bought it from a third party knowing it was used and no warranty.

Tim is a well respected mechanic in a small rural area where its impossible to hide if you treat people badly.

He's a straight up guy.

OP
Snail

Snail

I doubt lean A/F is the culprit, i broke a blown fuel bike engine running it over redline spinning up on the salt. That engine was so hot it melted the head around the ti valve seats so deeply the valr seats looked like earings on a street whore.

I pulled the dipstick as soon as I got off the road, and the oil on the stck wasnt hot, nor were the heads, nor was the coolant. It was a cool engine running right at normal temp.

Not a single one of the engine alarms went off.

OP
Snail

Snail

ZX, exactly.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Back in the day, like 1992 ish, I had a Chevy 1 Ton Van that I put a Holley Pro-Jection on it. You could adjust the mixture on the fly with some knobs on the under dash controller. I had a K&N "Air Fuel Ratio" monitor on it. Of course it was useless under WOT, but cruising down the road, it was tits. At WOT, I went by sound and feel. I think it had a "Power" knob on it, to adjust it when you let er eat.

Fever500

BAMF
If there's an issue with the A/F ratio it will be in the tuning software. We went through it brfore we took the truck off the jackstands.

I watched him scroll throgh the program, it eas tuned 14/1 neutral throttle decreasing to 10/1 during acceleration.

Tim didnt sell me the engine, i bought it from a third party knowing it was used and no warranty.

Tim is a well respected mechanic in a small rural area where its impossible to hide if you treat people badly.

He's a straight up guy.
Ok ... I was thinking he supplied the engine ...

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass

He's a straight up guy.
Ok, I'll go with that.

That leaves spitting the valve retainer.

OP
Snail

Snail

Cool, mine (did) that, on town and country tires, all the way out to 80 when i upshifted into over drive. In OD it hooked and until it blew up, somwhere short of redline, it had me pinned to the seat.

Fucking gnarly.

OP
Snail

Snail

Thanks for posting that.

OP
Snail

Snail

Well shit, i double posted, tried to delete one, accidently deleted the pic. Its late.

Master-Cylinder

I'm going with snapped cam chain or gear came loose. That, would wreak havoc upon an engine, or as "you people" refer to them, motah.

OP
Snail

Snail

MC has cam chain/ gear failure. That is exactly ehat my first thought was it ate a valve.

But after reading the article Vegas posted, and resding Hughes and RZ posts about tolerance i chsnged my mind and think it broke a piston.

When it popped it stopped. There was no dying swan act. It stopped just like hitting the mute button.

OP
Snail

Snail

While we wait the verdict I am happy to say i did make progress.
We made power, and Im confident that I can still drive. The truck handled great, I stayed with it, ahead of it, and relaxed.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Cool, mine (did) that, on town and country tires, all the way out to 80 when i upshifted into over drive. In OD it hooked and until it blew up, somwhere short of redline, it had me pinned to the seat.

Fucking gnarly.
Based upon this additional info, I revise my possible cause.
In OD, near redline, and hooked up is the most stress your engine has likely ever had on it. Even more than on a dyno because dynos are run with the vehicle's transmission in whatever gear is nearest 1:1 ratio.
Some component broke. Likely candidates are wrist pin, piston, connecting rod, and crankshaft. I don't know which is the weakest link in your engine. I'll hazard a guess at the wrist pin.

My earlier guess of spitting a valve retainer isn't likely, as that usually occurs at high rpm, e.g. redline. Since you blew up at less than redline, and had likely been at redline earlier while going through the gears without a problem, that is probably not the cause.

Master-Cylinder

Based upon this additional info, I revise my possible cause.
In OD, near redline, and hooked up is the most stress your engine has likely ever had on it. Even more than on a dyno because dynos are run with the vehicle's transmission in whatever gear is nearest 1:1 ratio.
Some component broke. Likely candidates are wrist pin, piston, connecting rod, and crankshaft. I don't know which is the weakest link in your engine. I'll hazard a guess at the wrist pin.

My earlier guess of spitting a valve retainer isn't likely, as that usually occurs at high rpm, e.g. redline. Since you blew up at less than redline, and had likely been at redline earlier while going through the gears without a problem, that is probably not the cause.
Those Dyno Junk rollers don't put a load on the engine like a real dyno. We had an olde water break dyne that could stall a GS1100 engine at full chat, unless the tyre gave way. And if you set the RPM at 8000 on a Factory Dyne, no matter how much gas you pour into it, it won't let the engine go higher.

OP
Snail

Snail

The cost in time and parts to fix and upgrade it to be suitable for its application are better spent on a new, designed for purpose engine.

B 15 is a crate engine specifically designed for 15 lbs boost, the CT is designed to run NA.

OP
Snail

Snail

Seriously, watch the vid wp posted and consider the internal stress of having it seize at full power. I expect every component in my engine is compromised, bent or broken.

I would never be able to trust it.

Can't blame you there, the only way you could get ahead fixing that thing is if you did all the work yourself, and you don't wanna get into that. No shame in that game if your wallet can handle it.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Seriously, watch the vid wp posted and consider the internal stress of having it seize at full power. I expect every component in my engine is compromised, bent or broken.
I would never be able to trust it.
thats when you add twin turbos and see if you can explode the engine from 2 types of boost!!! :)

Is the procharger sharing oil with the engine? If so that probably needs gone through too.

And yeah like Shiavo says...why not just a 1000hp twin turbo 5.3? Those are harder to blow up.

OP
Snail

Snail

The blower has separate oil.
The headers, manifolds, fuel system, intercooler, hoses, wiring, motor mts. etc will bolt right up. Other than gaskets, fasteners, its a easy swap.

If the old block is salvage I'll trade it or sell it.

New engine has GM warranty.

OP
Snail

Snail

Not sure about the autopsy. Tim is trying desperately to clear a huge back log of business before race season.

When i told him I found a replacement engine he texted back, do it.

When I texted again after ordering, shipping to his shop ke responded, K.

Ill wander by the shop for a view if the truck is on a hoist. I wont be surprised if theres rods sticking out of the block.

Top Bottom