Sitin here waiting for the tow truck

WARREN

BAMF+
When we did the cam in my v they talked me into valve upgrades specifically the trunions and head bolts being we where going to run more boost. The valve components on the LT motors are ok for stock..but a weak link once you start throwing some power in them.
When I built my 6.0 for the Monte, I put the Ls9 head gaskets, head studs,beehive springs and the rocker arm trunion upgrade.
The engine wound up in a malibu and never heard that it didn't perform.

OP
Snail

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
My gsxr made 340 h.p., took it to bonneville, set records and blew it up running grudge for money.

zxfan

BAM
I think Hugh G Erection is right on the money. Ring gap closed up under wfo and pistons decided they didn't want to go up and down anymore.

OP
Snail

Snail

Zx, im leaning toward that as well. Every other bloen up engine that ive experienced degraded, causing heat, steam, bad noises and loss of power. This was instant.

Its bad timing, Tim is trying to clear his work schedule before boat race season. We'll do a tear down, mothball the remains, and fix it june.

OP
Snail

Snail

Vegas, I dont know what was inside the engine, the 8 yrs. storage time frame is just an estimate. I'll have some answers mid week.

OP
Snail

Snail

Vegas, thanks for the link. Very interesting. If we can pound the seized piston(s) out of the block, maybe sble to save the bottom. Maybe. That article certainly backs up Hughes opinion.

OP
Snail

Snail

Ill be sure the replacement engine will have the upgrades. Again thanks to all.

RZ350

BAMF+
I will guess that an upper ring grabbed the bore and broke off a ring land....

Those engines only had .012 ring gap and .005" piston to bore clearance stock, and they needed upgraded valve springs for boosted applications.

Pull it apart and see what the damage is, may be some good parts left...

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I will guess that an upper ring grabbed the bore and broke off a ring land....

Those engines only had .012 ring gap and .005" piston to bore clearance stock, and they needed upgraded valve springs for boosted applications.

Pull it apart and see what the damage is, may be some good parts left...
Some of the Honda ATV's have a piston clearance of .01mm, that's slightly less than .0004 farmers inch. I believe I read a F1 car has even less clearance. The coolant and oil have to be heated before you can even start one.

RZ350

BAMF+
Some of the Honda ATV's have a piston clearance of .01mm, that's slightly less than .0004 farmers inch. I believe I read a F1 car has even less clearance. The coolant and oil have to be heated before you can even start one.

Yeah, and that's just crazy for a crate engine....................................

RZ350

BAMF+
.... crap, my last 1109 Kawasaki ended up at .0038" p/w clearance, I warmed it up always, zero issuses.....

OP
Snail

Snail

I warmed the engine to full operating temp, and drove it ten miles easy before stood on it. All systems were good prior to a full power burn.

I wished I'd cleared the data logger (Dakota Digital) prior to the attempt, hoping Tim can extract some data with his lap top.

OP
Snail

Snail

O.k., Hugh is betting on piston failure.
Wretch has valve failure.
Brain has spun bearing.

Tim is tearing it down, and will know who was right. He's pretty sure Hugh or Wretch is on it, but not sure.

Meantime I'm ordering a new improved version of the CT from Summit Racing, with thanks to Vegas for the informative link.

gsxrian

BAMF
O.k., Hugh is betting on piston failure.
Wretch has valve failure.
Brain has spun bearing.

Tim is tearing it down, and will know who was right. He's pretty sure Hugh or Wretch is on it, but not sure.

Meantime I'm ordering a new improved version of the CT from Summit Racing, with thanks to Vegas for the informative link.
I'm betting on ring failure, leading to piston failure.

Last edited:
OP
Snail

Snail

Just found out from chev race tech that the CT 525 isn't a good application, recommended a B15 engine instead, better suited for boost. Still an LS platform, bolt in replacement.

OP
Snail

Snail

Ive spun bearings before and when I did that the engines created heat, power diminished, and knocking and weird noises. I think the bottom end wasn't the failure.

This engine went from full power to no power, splat. Bang!

B15 $9200. Free shipping.

Top Bottom