Sitin here waiting for the tow truck

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Seized engine. My work truck don't work no more.
Sob.
How'd you manage that?
I had to do the Walk Of Shame with my scooter a couple weeks ago. The belt broke a full speed. Had to push it to a friends house for a ride.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Sad. You were planning on beefing up the rest of the truck to handle the high hp but the motor itself was the weak spot.

Hmm. Throw a rod through the oil pan?

OP
Snail

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Yes, it was the ct525, not sure whst happened. Big noise, huge smoke out the back, full power pass...i think im going to throw up and vomit.

OP
Snail

Snail

My current guess is it ate a valve, knocked the top out of a piston, bent a rod and seized.

OP
Snail

Snail

Didnt get hot, oil on dipstick didnt look or smell burned, coolant fine. Didnt make heat, it just fucking exploded.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
That's a hardcore bummer. All that waiting and planning and waiting and then kaplowy. :(

KEHALE

BAMF with a stick
a 6.2 LS3 with a blower blew up?

how many psi? Forged or cast pistons?

OP
Snail

Snail

Its back at the shop. Im home pouting. Ive blown up quite a few engines, they usually degrade, splutter and start blowing oil out the exhsust, lose power and die.

This engine actually exploded. Ive nrver experienced that. It was rude. The blue smoke ball covered both lanes. Not sure how fast i was going, and probably wouldnt say if I did, but I will admit it was WOT.

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
Its back at the shop. Im home pouting. Ive blown up quite a few engines, they usually degrade, splutter and start blowing oil out the exhsust, lose power and die.

This engine actually exploded. Ive nrver experienced that. It was rude. The blue smoke ball covered both lanes. Not sure how fast i was going, and probably wouldnt say if I did, but I will admit it was WOT.
Gonna need pics, skipper.

OP
Snail

Snail

No lead, still running (was) the stock rear end and left the lead out...its hard to type and cry...we were going to replace the weak sister diff. next week, add ballast, new tires...

It was pulling hard HARD, and accelerating hard , well into top gear WOT. Hooked up and hauling ass... none of the alarms triggered, it sounded good, then it just blew up like sombody dropped a stick of dynamite in the bed.

Something probably came loose inside the engine.

ZX11 Man

BAMF
Sorry to hear this Snail, I was def watching to see where this project went. But, aligning with everything else you do, you dont half ass anything so I imagine it was pretty epic!

OP
Snail

Snail

I can get a replacement by the end of March, from Summit Racing, $8429.40 delivered.

Master-Cylinder

You need to tell everyone, using your best NASCAR accent, "Dun hurt the motor, hurt the motor real bad".

It will be real interesting what happened to it. Especially when the guys who built it, pull it back out of their ass's and look at it.

RZ350

BAMF+
Sorry Paul, I would have bet. 93.7% that transmission would fail, let me know what failed, pulling heads and pan should give you the answer... Maybe valve covers and intake, but I always do autopsy on every engine to learn the cause....

OP
Snail

Snail

Troy, the transmission was changed out to a TransGo heavy duty.

It will get torn down, whatever broke will be obvious. Every thing looks fine from the top. The intake, blower, fuel system all the attachments arent damaged.

Life wasn't meant to be easy.

Master-Cylinder

Wife had a Mazda 6 with 54,000 miles on it. It was driven by an old lady. Hucked a rod out the back of the engine on I-95 for no reason aboot 100 miles from home. :eek:
Since she's mostly deaf and had the radio probably cranked, I think she may have had it in the first Drive position, not the highway Drive position. So, it might have been buzzing at redline for a hundred miles. I wish I would have thought aboot extracting the data out of it to see if that was the deal. If they even recorded that stuff 12 or so years ago.

OP
Snail

Snail

Hugh, that sounds very likely.

Rocco

BAM
My low mileage GMC 6.0 lost oil pressure suddenly without any warning. That was an all to common problem on that particular series of GM engine. They had a bad design on the pickup tube oil seal. The seal could suddenly draw air and the pump would instantly loose suction . When I went to Chevy, they had a special redesigned replacement seal to correct the problem. I'm not sure what engine you have or if that problem spilled over to other engines in the line. I'm fairly sure you were not watching the gauges if you were running at WOT , so sudden oil pressure loss is possible. I was lucky that I was watching my gauges at the same time the thing decided to go from 60# to flat out zero #. All it cost me was a tow. I did the seal replacement myself and it was a real bitch that required an involved disassembly.

-

Last edited:

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Damn Paul, I hate to hear this specially since your spending all the right money on corresponding upgrades.. I'm interested to hear what was the cause

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I'm going to guess a valve got hung up in the guide and made piston contact...

...the rest of the destruction was of natural causes from that.

What heads were used?

Real sad for shit to go wrong like this.

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
Damn dude
And here I was excited to see the progress of that fine machine.....

OP
Snail

Snail

Gsxrian, to answer your questions:
Yes.
No.
Because I blew up the OEM engine.

My tears of failure have dried, my lip quit quivering and its going to be a bright, sunshiny day here. Not a cloud in the sky.

Seriously, I'll make sure to document the cause of failure. Whatever it was it was instantaneous.

I spent most of the night thinking about it, shift for shift. How it was hooking up, throttle, how it sounded, etc.

I have a BW shifter, 1 2 3 D ratchet. 1-3 manually shifting, intermittently soft pedaling to control wheel spin, shifted D at redline, it hooked under WOT and was pulling hard. It was very manageable and accelersting like a gut shot cat, then it exploded.

OP
Snail

Snail

Warren, the engine is a CT525 crste engine out of a wrecked race boat, the engine was stored for 8 years. Sold to me at discount, no warranty.

The fuel system was converted to Holley tunsble injection, 50 lb. fuel pump. ProBlower super charger w/ intercooler, set at 8 lbs. boost.

Transmission is TransGo heavy duty rated to 1K h.p.

Lap top tuned for 800 h.p., redline 6200. Rev limiter.

I cant help but wonder if the valve springs deteriorated, some of which would have been compressed, during storage.

WARREN

BAMF+
Thats a pretty stout motor. At 8lbs i wouldnt suspect a ring gap issue...but that 10.7:1 plus boost might be a concern if the fueling/timing/tune isn't bang on.
Regardless, what a bummer.
Slap a junkyard 6.0 in it and get back out there.
Google sloppy mechanics. He builds crazy power with junkyard engines modded with some really basic upgrades (springs,headgaskets,studs)

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Warren, the engine is a CT525 crste engine out of a wrecked race boat, the engine was stored for 8 years. Sold to me at discount, no warranty.

The fuel system was converted to Holley tunsble injection, 50 lb. fuel pump. ProBlower super charger w/ intercooler, set at 8 lbs. boost.

Transmission is TransGo heavy duty rated to 1K h.p.

Lap top tuned for 800 h.p., redline 6200. Rev limiter.

I cant help but wonder if the valve springs deteriorated, some of which would have been compressed, during storage.

When we did the cam in my v they talked me into valve upgrades specifically the trunions and head bolts being we where going to run more boost. The valve components on the LT motors are ok for stock..but a weak link once you start throwing some power in them.

Top Bottom