Simone Biles is NOT the GOAT.

rumble phish

BAMF+
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Wow, this changes everything! It's too bad we didn't already have a few Olympics threads to ignore.
Yeah, yeah :roll: :lol:

But seriously, I thought I saw a thread about Simone Biles and looked for it (think it was titled "How's Simone Biles doing?") but didn't find it. So I DID make an effort.

But since this was a topic about a specific athlete and not the Olympics in general, I thought it warranted it's own thread.

So fucking sue me! :fu: :lol:

BigGar

high on placebo
I'm pretty sure Simone could easily lay waste to any female gymnast now or in the past. She's getting fucked over hard by the IOC so I can see her reasons for pulling out and giving the IOC and NBC the fuckfinger. She's so superior to any other gymnast that they will only score her to a certain number to protect other gymnasts from feeling pressure to try the shit that she's doing and seriously hurt themselves. It's a bummer for her team, but I can't say I blame her for doing what she did.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
I'm pretty sure Simone could easily lay waste to any female gymnast now or in the past. She's getting fucked over hard by the IOC so I can see her reasons for pulling out and giving the IOC and NBC the fuckfinger. She's so superior to any other gymnast that they will only score her to a certain number to protect other gymnasts from feeling pressure to try the shit that she's doing and seriously hurt themselves. It's a bummer for her team, but I can't say I blame her for doing what she did.
I do not follow enough to know what they are doing in terms of her personal scoring. The pressure is on every top-tier athlete in the world. Everything else aside, if you can't handle the pressures of being the G.O.A.T., well, then you're just not the G.O.A.T.. Period, End of story. The greatest ones did it for themselves, not accolades or peer pressure. They fought through physical and mental pain. They showed real heart when no one else could. She apparently can't live up to that. This in no way makes her a bad person. Just a person. But it certainly removes her from consideration as the "Greatest Of All Time". No matter what she can physically do, she does not posses the heart and will of a true Champion.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
My favorite simply because she is cute. Her Geico commercial is great.
mckayla maroneyView attachment 71928
Adorable yes.

But here is a TRUE champion. With a Champions heart and desire to win. She's hands down a greater "Champion" and light for the sport than Simone Biles could ever be, IMHO.

Kerry Strug, who injured her ankle in her previous vault and who could've have easily sat out the next and no one would've given her any shit (a REAL injury), lined up because the TEAM gold was on the line. She pulled off one of the most amazing examples of heart and grit ever seen in the Olympics. :up:

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Possilbly, but how would Michael Jordan have done if they only let him score a maximum of 25 points per game, or if Tiger Woods was limited to 5 under par for each round of golf he played?
Something tells me he would have scored his 25 and then did everything he could to help the rest of his teammates score. I don't think he would've sat out and pouted.

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
Possilbly, but how would Michael Jordan have done if they only let him score a maximum of 25 points per game, or if Tiger Woods was limited to 5 under par for each round of golf he played?
Michael played championship ball ecen under the weather and possibly a planned food poisoning... If shes giving the middle finger to an uptight org... we should welcome her under our wings. We can get Maroney on here talking smack... hehe

RP is out of his depth. I don't think he could have picked a worse athlete/sport to use as an example.

Biles has absolutely crushed the competition by a significant margin. 25 World medals (19 gold), with 4 moves named after her. 7 time national champ, beating a record that stood for 70 years. She dominated the sport so hard, she transformed it. Like Gar said, when the judges ding you to discourage other people from breaking their neck, you've reached BAMF status.

THIS is what "leaving it all on the field" means :up:

Strug didn't need to do a 2nd vault for the US team to get gold, she even asked her coach if she needed to and he said yes. She was injured and missed out on the rest of the competition, with her teammates filling in her spots.

And with all due respect to Strug, because Strug's a hero, Biles could do her routine while sleepwalking. And Biles is trying to avoid what happened to Strug - an injury that would derail her career.

If Biles quit tomorrow for good and opted to spend the rest of the Olympics smoking weed and eating potatoe chips on the sidelines, she'll still be the G.O.A.T.

gsxrian

BAMF
Nadia Comăneci is the GOAT and competed in MUCH more difficult circumstances!

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
RP is out of his depth. I don't think he could have picked a worse athlete/sport to use as an example.

Biles has absolutely crushed the competition by a significant margin. 25 World medals (19 gold), with 4 moves named after her. 7 time national champ, beating a record that stood for 70 years. She dominated the sport so hard, she transformed it. Like Gar said, when the judges ding you to discourage other people from breaking their neck, you've reached BAMF status.

Strug didn't need to do a 2nd vault for the US team to get gold, she even asked her coach if she needed to and he said yes. She was injured and missed out on the rest of the competition, with her teammates filling in her spots.

And with all due respect to Strug, because Strug's a hero, Biles could do her routine while sleepwalking. And Biles is trying to avoid what happened to Strug - an injury that would derail her career.

If Biles quit tomorrow for good and opted to spend the rest of the Olympics smoking weed and eating potatoe chips on the sidelines, she'll still be the G.O.A.T.
Blah, blah, blah. She walked away because she couldn't "handle the pressure", fucking over her team in the process. That IS NOT a "Champion". Have you ever played a team sport? Have you ever "left it all on the field"? Have you ever walked away from your teammates due to your own personal issues? Have you ever won a Championship?

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
Blah, blah, blah. She walked away because she couldn't "handle the pressure", fucking over her team in the process. That IS NOT a "Champion". Have you ever played a team sport? Have you ever "left it all on the field"? Have you ever walked away from your teammates due to your own personal issues? Have you ever won a Championship?
Have you ever spent time in an infantry unit, son?

No, sir.

Ever served in a forward area?

No, sir.

Ever put your life in another man's hands, ask him to put his life in yours?

No, sir.

We follow orders, son. We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?

Yes, sir.

Are we clear?

Crystal.

Gymnastics isn't a team sport like football or hockey. Your point is moot.

Regardless of your feelings of her dropping out today, she continues to be the GOAT and nothing is going to change that until someone else comes along and does it better.

What do you know about the level of pressure that Biles is under?

Did organizations reward you for being the best in the world at what you do? Turning in top performances, time after time, year after year, crushing the competition so hard that every time you enter, it's already a foregone conclusion? And to represent an entire country to bring home the gold?

Yeah, I guess winning the HS football championship is pretty up there.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Being kind of rough on someone who has been a stud for the USA for many, many years now and has put it all on the line over and over.
Competed and been a winner under all kinds of pressure that you could not dream of.
I'd give her a break.
Doesn't sound to me like she's trying to make any sort of political statement or being a baby.
I haven't researched the story, but I watched some of the gymnastic stuff in the background while working in my garage today.
And Simone was interviewed and did a good job with the interview, IMO.
We don't know what's going on.
Let's give her a break at least for a while longer, huh.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Being kind of rough on someone who has been a stud for the USA for many, many years now and has put it all on the line over and over.
Competed and been a winner under all kinds of pressure that you could not dream of.
I'd give her a break.
Doesn't sound to me like she's trying to make any sort of political statement or being a baby.
I haven't researched the story, but I watched some of the gymnastic stuff in the background while working in my garage today.
And Simone was interviewed and did a good job with the interview, IMO.
We don't know what's going on.
Let's give her a break at least for a while longer, huh.
I didn't say she was a bad person. I did make a stretch and say it "might" be political, but hopefully I'm wrong.

All I'm saying is that a true champion, a true G.O.A.T., would push through and not let her teammates down.

Ed

If Biles wasn't black, the press would be desperately trying to out-woke each other glorifying [another athlete] who was.

As example- good luck remembering the names of the two White hammer-throwers who beat Gwendolyn Berry, but it's easy to find her dank ass with '3rd place black chick' from any search engine.

BusaVeloce

Has never sold a motorcycle
Website
www.infowars.com

but it still looks like she choked under the pressure...

Champions don't fuck their team...

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
"The American star withdrew from the competition following one rotation, opening the door for the team of Russian athletes to win gold for the first time in nearly three decades."

She obviously owes the Russians billions........
Right Tinny?🤣

She blew a vault move and quit.
She is no goat

Ed

Annnnnnd, just like that- now it's unfair to refer to Biles as 'G.O.A.T' :roll:
The situation, Andrews continues, "is called a diathesis-stress model, and it means that for whatever reason, there's a predisposition for this, and the stress levels have to get to a certain level and then the predisposition kicks in. It means she's been handling a lot of stress for a long time… the scale tipped and she's not capable of doing things that she can usually do in her sleep."
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-calling-athletes-simone-biles-goat-pressure-202124361.html

Of course, Biles does wear a goat on her leotard, Ward points out, and while she may have enjoyed the exultation to a point, it seems to have gone too far.
Who could have imagined.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Like I said, while she is obviously an amazing athlete, she simply lacks the will and the heart to be considered "greatest of all time".

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
Like I said, while she is obviously an amazing athlete, she simply lacks the will and the heart to be considered "greatest of all time".
That's your definition of GOAT. Most people seem to base GOAT status purely on performance, in which case she runs away with GOAT title.

Top Bottom