Shipping a dirt bike engine options

wormser77

BAMF
Need to ship a kx500 motor from Washington to Wisconsin.
What's the best route?
It is just the bottom end and will be crated.

I bet it's too light to be worth shipping it freight like by greyhound or something.

What did UPS say? You are a business owner, do you not know another business owner that has a UPS account for a better deal?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I used ti ship my racebike engines (two cycle V-Twin) from the track home and from home to the next track. I used a Briggs & Scrapiron plastic container they shipped their engines in. It is pretty heavy duty and has the interlocking lid set up with padlock holes.
I put a piece of plywood in the bottom of the box so it would get broken, made a mount out of angle iron to bolt the engine to. The mount was also bolted to the plywood. I think I also had a wood piece that would keep the top from caving in if someone stood on it.

OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF
He is from Johannesburg and getting it shipped to Tom Morgan racing to get built then it heads to Africa.
Was thinking put it on a pallet then use 2x4's to make 2 motor mounts to bolt it up.

OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF
Just got off the phone with the motor builder.
He suggests shipping it in a cooler🤯
Then I can ship it standard fed ex or ups and not have it go freight.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Just got off the phone with the motor builder.
He suggests shipping it in a cooler🤯
Then I can ship it standard fed ex or ups and not have it go freight.
Good idea. That's abbot the size of the Briggs box I used. You just want to make sure it can't move in there, even with a gorilla tossing it.
Slap a couple Donated Organ stickers on it to get it there sooner.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
UPS truck should be ok. People tell me all the time that they're gonna send me something that way.

I always wondered if they were the ones who failed geography 101....or was it geometry....same thing

OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF
Ring ding ding fits in a cooler.
Now time to pack and get quotes.
Uship wanted $260 on a pallet.
Thinking ups might be $75

• Funny
Reactions: Red
OP
wormser77

wormser77

BAMF
What's he having done to the engine that requires it to be shipped all over the world?
KX500 market is on fire in Europe and Africa. I think he's having a bunch of parts sent to Morgan then he'll build the motor and sent it to the guy in Africa with a bunch of other parts.

I bought this bike for the cylinder, subframe, electronics and some other bits to use for my supermoto for $900.

Bottom end I'm selling has a broken ear on the clutch cable holder and I'm getting $400 for it. I've also sold radiators, pegs, seat and other parts and the front end is going on my klx650r.
Basically got a bunch of parts I wanted for free.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
NORTHERN FL Home of the 2020 Pub Convention
Ring ding ding fits in a cooler.
Now time to pack and get quotes.
Uship wanted $260 on a pallet.
Thinking ups might be $75
Im going to bet UPS will be north of $200 on a pallet. UPS & FedEx are package handlers... DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON A PALLET with them unless you want it broken. I forget what high value $$$ is but might be worth it IF you want the equivalent of VIP handling.
That being said... the USPS is not much of a package handler and use push carts/bins to move & sort stuff. Great if your stuff weighs <10lbs.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Im going to bet UPS will be north of $200 on a pallet. UPS & FedEx are package handlers... DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON A PALLET with them unless you want it broken. I forget what high value $$$ is but might be worth it IF you want the equivalent of VIP handling.
That being said... the USPS is not much of a package handler and use push carts/bins to move & sort stuff. Great if your stuff weighs <10lbs.

Years ago I shipped some cylinder heads via UPS.

I made some beautiful wooden boxes that Casey might have been proud of..... not really, but they secured the iron heads safely.

When I talked to the guy I sent them to, I mentioned the boxes.....he axed me what boxes??

He received them wrapped in cardboard.

Motherfuckers owe me a refund.....the packages had to be 10 pounds less weight per!!!

Top Bottom