SharkBite copper pipe joint.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Where the wife works, the middle of the floor in the hallway was wet, just the center strip aboot 16 inches wide and four feet long. We guessed that maybe a slab leak, which is semi common here. Luckily (sort of...after I cut a section of carpet up) it is leaking from a pipe in the wall and wicking to the center of the hall. Weird as shit because the carpet feels dry against the wall. The leak showed up Tuesday. After cutting the carpet, I cut open the wall where it won't be seen. I rigged a water bottle to a hose, duct taped it to the pipe and directed the leaking water into the water heater blowoff valves drain. They said the carpet was dry the next day!
The only place I can find the water cutoff is at the meter. Can't turn it off during their working hours.

So now I have to repair a leaking pipe inside a wall under a cabinet behind a shorty 110V water heater with pretty much no room to move. I have to pull six foot of pipe up into the ceiling and slide a new one down. Instead of burning the fucking place to the ground trying to sweat a joint in, I might try a SharkBite down in the fire zone.

Anyone use them on copper??

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Yes, they work good. Remember to deburr inside and outside of pipe.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Hopefully one of those ratcheting pipe cutters will get in there to cut the pipe.

Snail

You can butt copper to same size pex if you need to. Fittings are expensive but they're easy. DEBURR inside and out or you'll have bad luck.

Snail

Cutting copper with ratcheting cutter, doubtfully. Get a mini tubing cutter.

Stetson

BAMF
The first time I used a Sharkbite was to install a new fridge's ice-maker to a waterline that passed under it in the basement. It was so easy, I was certain I'd done something wrong. I've used them since on copper numerous times, usually when draining every bit of water is a problem. I've never had one fail or leak. I thought they were overpriced at first, but realized they're worth it in convenience.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

The first time I used a Sharkbite was to install a new fridge's ice-maker to a waterline that passed under it in the basement. It was so easy, I was certain I'd done something wrong. I've used them since on copper numerous times, usually when draining every bit of water is a problem. I've never had one fail or leak. I thought they were overpriced at first, but realized they're worth it in convenience.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the water probably won't completely shut off, so sweating a fitting would be a bitch! I need to find where the water comes in the building and put in A EASY TO FIND cut off.

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com
I've used a bunch, although I'd never use one in an inaccessible area, like behind a wall .. a better way, if you have the access, is to sweat on a copper threaded male on each pipe, then attach pex female nipples on those, then finish with a piece of pex crimped on ... it'll be bulletproof that way, and no worries of the sharkbite failing years down the road.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

I've used a bunch, although I'd never use one in an inaccessible area, like behind a wall .. a better way, if you have the access, is to sweat on a copper threaded male on each pipe, then attach pex female nipples on those, then finish with a piece of pex crimped on ... it'll be bulletproof that way, and no worries of the sharkbite failing years down the road.
They have a 25 year warranty. Pretty sure it has more loopholes then knit blanket.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

One does not "solder" a copper pipe, you sweat the fitting. Now where can I find 80% lead solder. :ducmanic:

I bought a roll of that lead free shit, threw it away!

rumble phish

BAMF+
One does not "solder" a copper pipe, you sweat the fitting. Now where can I find 80% lead solder. :ducmanic:

I bought a roll of that lead free shit, threw it away!
Whatever you want to call it, it's not hard at all. I'd rather "sweat" the joint than use a Shark Byte.

I just sweat one of these on because I don't like sharkbite either...cost and don't trust them. I'm talking pex B though. sharkbite-pex-fittings-uc607lfa-64_1000.jpg

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
who is the maintenance man at this facility?? Fuck him! :D :fu:
Plumbers are fucking stoopid. Before with cPVC, PVC, etc... they would butcher up the trusses, framing or a foundation of a house.
Now with PEX... you would think they could figure out a better plan for getting water to a bathroom... nope. Those lazy fucking idiots...

Wasn't too happy when I had that slab house built and they put the washer drain in the hallway. Missed it by 3 inches or so. Framers just went ahead and did their thing, making it more difficult.

Terry_Schiavo

The slab myth is hilarious too. This gets into the "respective silo" responsibilities...lol.
Majority of the "leaks" are from piecemealing pipe scraps.

Team222

BAMF
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the water probably won't completely shut off, so sweating a fitting would be a bitch! I need to find where the water comes in the building and put in A EASY TO FIND cut off.
If you decide to sweat the joint, TIDBIT ALERT,
Plumbers don't bite their fingernails!

Austin_F

BAMF+
I would sometimes help my brothers hang rock. They worked for a contractor who only contracted competent tradesmen. When my brothers started a house you could see how the framers, electricians, plumbers had worked. It always looked great. Wiring looked like a work of art where it gathered in the basement. More expensive houses with computerized lighting and hvac (every light switch had to run back to the basement to the computers so they could be reassigned functions) had amazing work done, the wiring looked like it had been strung by robots, straight and precise and zip tied very well.

Sometimes they would catch side work on the weekends fixing other rockers work for cheaper contractors. The wiring and plumbing in those houses looked like they were done by 10 year olds. My brothers would have to do things like reframe tubs and showers and they made the cheap contractor pay dearly for such work.

Snail

Uponor. Goggle it. Product catalog has all the good shit, and a design department.

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com
I just sweat one of these on because I don't like sharkbite either...cost and don't trust them. I'm talking pex B though. View attachment 18965

i've used those too, but even using map gas i've had problems with getting them hot enough, i like everything to be waaay overbuilt, i'd never leave a sharkbite behind a wall, but i'm doing these in clients homes ...not mine, or mind for mc ...

on that note, one day in the next few years im def going to have to have the house re-piped as the existing copper in the slab is approaching 40 years old!

better safe than sorry!

Terry_Schiavo

Sometimes they would catch side work on the weekends fixing other rockers work for cheaper contractors. The wiring and plumbing in those houses looked like they were done by 10 year olds. My brothers would have to do things like reframe tubs and showers and they made the cheap contractor pay dearly for such work.
welcome to my world...lol. Imagine a lazy assed plumber cutting your stair/floor trusses/risers cause hes too fucking fat, lazy, or stupid to run it in a proper wall because he does have a proper drill bit or required tool. One house builder told me he had $150,000 worth of back charges for various trades... on one fucking townhouse. Serious issues like trusses installed backwards or not properly bearing.

this is my setup.
I want that setup. Surely you have more stuff than that so whats ok to branch into 2 and all that. Are you running 3/8' to your toilets? I kinda want dedicated hots to each fixture in the back bathroom. Will this speed up the lag or is that just wishful thinking?

Terry_Schiavo

I want that setup. Surely you have more stuff than that so whats ok to branch into 2 and all that. Are you running 3/8' to your toilets? I kinda want dedicated hots to each fixture in the back bathroom. Will this speed up the lag or is that just wishful thinking?
they make all kinds of cool manifolds for the PEX stuff. Even for a retro fit

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Why,,,,, :neutral: din't ya jus tell em,,,,,,,,,, ta,,,,,,,,,,, :dash2:

Call,,,, A LICENSED PLUMBER ? :gobrian:
Couldn't get one to work on Sunday. Well not at a reasonable price. Besides, I get paid for the job. I'm kind of the maintenance man there.

Stetson

BAMF
Fixing a leak in a pipe behind a water heater at somebody else's place on a Sunday for cash monays is exactly what Sharkbites are for.:lol::lol::lol:

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

So, I used one SharkBite 3/4 inch shut off valve because it was the only 3/4 cut off Lowes had.
I sweated the other fittings in. Luckily I was smart enough to bring a couple slices of white bread with me, otherwise it would have been SharkBites. The water shut off for the building has lot its knob, it rotted away. I had to turn it off at the meter aboot 300 feet away. The main water pipe into the building is at least 1.5 inch!
I'll eventually probably have to fix the shut off valve outside the building.
Here's a trick I thought up and used today, I ran a 3/8th inch cable up into the old water pipe before I jerked it out to act as a guide to get the pipe back in place and thru the clamps in the wall. Worked like a fucking charm! Hot and nasty up in that ceiling!

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com

the only things I combined are cold lines to bathrooms that wouldn't be used at the same time .. I didn't run 3/8", all are 1/2" ... all hots are dedicated.

Terry_Schiavo

Couldn't get one to work on Sunday. Well not at a reasonable price. Besides, I get paid for the job. I'm kind of the maintenance man there.
You dont have plumbers you can call? Are you still using a phone book to find local pros?? hahaha

Who should I call in Melbourne to fix my motorbike?? :D

Austin_F

BAMF+
That water heater electric, I don't see a gas line? Howz it work?
those are nice if your electric is cheaper than gas. No intake or exhaust to run, and electric is '100% efficient'.

In my neck of the woods gas is FAR cheaper, only stupid people run electric appliances here.

Snail

Bowtie, that's a clean set up, thanks for the tip on tankless heaters.

OP
OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Lifetime warranty? I need to get in on that! We don't have gas here. What gauge wire and breaker?

Top Bottom