Scuderia Southwest

scottcolbath

BAMF+
My first week shooting for Scuderia, and we get shit weather. But there were plenty of cool cars. An early start, and low light meant using a tripod. I didn't want to crank up the ISO and I didn't want a wide open aperture. I was using a flash to get these shots as well. I think it made a difference.

The scoop on this Senna was a mess. I asked the owner if he minded if I cleaned off the dirt and pebbles for the shot. He said "Sure, it's just a car". :eek:

Some German cars for Fish Antlers. :biggrin:

There were a few GTs there.

Owner of the red one says he can't wait to also get a new one. Must be nice.

S.C.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
The photos look nice even though the lighting kinda sucked. You should try using a circular polarizing filter when shooting cars. You can dial out the reflections.

luckystrike

Mr. Floaty Shit
Website
lemonparty.org
I ain't no photographer but I prefer that kind of lighting to that of a sunny day. Seems to me there is much more contrast and details and lines come out much better.

Would appreciate more snaps of the Senna and the Fords.

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I ain't no photographer but I prefer that kind of lighting to that of a sunny day. Seems to me there is much more contrast and details and lines come out much better.

Would appreciate more snaps of the Senna and the Fords.
I got a lame interior shot of the Senna, and this one.

Maybe I'll go back and edit the interior shot.

S.C.

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
People, and the setting ruin this shoot. I'm going to work on ways to make it better, and Stu's idea is the best so far. Now, if I could just kill all the fucking lookie lous.

S.C.

RobBase

BAMF
Whenever I shoot with flash, I always bring along a small wireless slave for secondary fill.
Set on low power.....for cars, you can lay it on the ground to kill a bit of the harsh shadow lines
underneath.
For people, especially when they're side lighted, put it on the shadow side set at low power.
Not sure how it works on Canon, but the Nikon speedlights link up easy.

2009 Pumpkin.jpg
Nikon D300, 85mm f/1.4 flash on camera with side flash on mini tripod

Nice pics, especially the SD. I'm sure Lucky will come along and clone stamp it outta there.

DaCat

BAMF
People, and the setting ruin this shoot. I'm going to work on ways to make it better, and Stu's idea is the best so far. Now, if I could just kill all the fucking lookie lous.

S.C.
Stunning cars and your pics came out well, even with low light. A trick from the past was using flash even in bright sunlight, reduces shadows and enhances the subject as RobBase RobBase mentioned.

I agree with you, I would prefer to see pics of the cars without the crowds around them, it detracts from the pics and tends to make them appear amateur. You should try get exclusive shots of the car from the owners.

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Stunning cars and your pics came out well, even with low light. A trick from the past was using flash even in bright sunlight, reduces shadows and enhances the subject as RobBase RobBase mentioned.

I agree with you, I would prefer to see pics of the cars without the crowds around them, it detracts from the pics and tends to make them appear amateur. You should try get exclusive shots of the car from the owners.
The first thing I suggested to the organizer, on our first phone call (a couple weeks ago), was a "featured car" area, where the good stuff could roll up to a pre-determined area, maybe with a backdrop, and shoot them solo. No people or distractions in the frame. He liked the idea, so we are going to work on that.

S.C.

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Name this gal.

Hint. I was shooting the Fountain Hills Coucours In The Hills today. She and I shot the shit for a while. Great lady. She has flown with the Blue Angels (which is how we got to talking) and the Thunderbirds.

I also spent some time today talking with Arie Luyendyk. Cool guy. I showed him a shot (below) I got of him at Barrett Jackson in 2015, which he really liked.

Anyway, today's shots:

More pics here:
Concours 2019 - Scott Colbath (wookiee)

Stu, I tossed on the polarizer on the 5D with the 24-70 lens. It helped a good deal.

S.C.

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I think this is a 330 P4. One of the prettiest cars ever. Easily into eight figures too.
Yeah, that's a nice car, in need of the Gar treatment.

There were plenty of Gar Cars there. Dude, you need to come out and toss around a few business cards.

S.C.

Top Bottom