RIP Murphy

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Sad for your loss.

Good you gave him the best life you could.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
It looks like he was a really good boy. I lost my Golden (Mojo) the same way.

Sorry for your loss, but happy you had each other while he was here.

Austin_F

BAMF+
sorry to hear it. He had a good life i'm sure.

Vegas12

BAMF+
WTF??

From improving to this in a month??

Sorry....RIP Murph.

OP

gsteve

BAMF+
I thought he was improving, his spirit and energy were. Apparently the cancer in the bones was getting worse. He was incredibly happy. Always hungry always a tail wag. Moving better too. But last night he jumped into the cab of the truck. Normally I’d lift him in and out but he rushed past me. That broke his back leg. I didn’t know it was broken , I thought maybe a knee tear. Rushed him into the vet today and xrays told the story. No fix was likely to heal. The added weight on his already bad front leg would likely cause it to break. And other bones would follow...... I had no option

I thought he was improving, his spirit and energy were. Apparently the cancer in the bones was getting worse. He was incredibly happy. Always hungry always a tail wag. Moving better too. But last night he jumped into the cab of the truck. Normally I’d lift him in and out but he rushed past me. That broke his back leg. I didn’t know it was broken , I thought maybe a knee tear. Rushed him into the vet today and xrays told the story. No fix was likely to heal. The added weight on his already bad front leg would likely cause it to break. And other bones would follow...... I had no option
Terrible. But with no option, you had to do the best thing for your old buddy. Hopefully that eases your pain a little. You did right by him, in the end.

Last edited:

Vegas12

BAMF+

When my boy had cancer, we made sure it was isolated to his front shoulder via x-rays, scans etc...

With amputation and chemo the vet said 1 year.

No amputation and he had a few months.

Hardest decision ever but he had a very happy 14 months on 3 legs.

Was hoping reading your posts you'd have more time...

My current best friend is 12 and these posts always get me thinking. She looks at me weird when I curl up with her and tell her she better never leave me....she tells me not to worry. I still do.

Take it EZ and I hope sharing eases your pain.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
You gave him the best life he could have.
That's all you can do for a dog, is to make sure his/her short life w you will be a happy one. Unfortunatelly, they go quick... RIP Murphy

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Get another dog, it's a continuity. New dog heals pain of losing previous dog.
Sorry about Murphy.

Austin_F

BAMF+
If it had been me, i think it would have been a bit easier knowing the option to keep him around didn't exist. Walking around on sore legs for a couple more months wouldn't be considered.

im sorry, steve.

OP

gsteve

BAMF+
Thanks All.... fucking sucks. He was at my side 24 a day. Always ready to go. I look for him , hes not there. Ive had 5 goldens and he was incredible. Ive contacted the breeder his dad is from to see if there is some lineage still there. His daughters will be having pups this summer. Not sure i can wait that long. Maybe its silly trying or expecting to get a carbon copy

BilletMan

BAMF+
Gsteve, so sorry. You're a great guy who's seen way too much sickness and death...It's tough picking up toys, dog dishes, and somehow adapting to the fact that he's not around. It's an empty feeling. He's giving you "double dog thumbs UP" from doggie heaven...

My beloved border collie of 16.5 yrs passed this year, just before USGP in Austin....My remaining dog, Moto, has been really lonely/needy of my attention. I've taken her with me on my hill country trips 5 times. I took her to Austin to meet up with the LAB crowd in April.

A month ago, it was time to get another dog. I SO DREAD going into the animal shelter because it's very depressing. There are 4 or 5 large rooms of barking, scared, abused, and abandoned dogs, all shitting, peeing, barking, and hating life. I've thought about this trip to the shelter, but kept putting it off. I got brave and went in. I entered the first large room and walked around all of the paths...I was balling big ole giant tears and just couldn't continue. I cowered and was making my way to the door to go get in my truck and drive away defeated. Near the door to leave this horror site, there was ONE dog who was way beyond pleased to greet me! Motherfucker was the only one in the whole place not barking, too. It was advertised as a yellow lab or something...I got him home and said, "that's a pit bull"....not too much, but big ole chunky head.....THE SWEETEST DOG! And the relationship between the 2 dogs is kick ass!

The point of this rambling is to say fuck the breed, go rescue a dog that needs you and seems to like you. Eight years ago, I adopted Moto from the motocross track. She was left over from a litter that one of the track grooming folks had. She had been tied to a rope for the first year of her life. Over the course of a couple of weeks, I went MX riding 4-5 times. I would stop the truck and go visit her as I entered. She would stand there and pee, SO excited to see me. Even though I had two other dogs, I went and told the track owner that I was taking the dog.....BEST DOG ever! Rescues NEVER forget! Here's Moto:

15356695_10209093100698698_6682240309634786975_n_10209093100698698.jpg

Last edited:

BilletMan

BAMF+
I see these bumper stickers and smile! Moto rescued me! Rescues NEVER forget what they've been thru....
who rescued who.jpg

OP

gsteve

BAMF+
Awesome story BM... you made my day better buddy. :)))). Why can’t ppl be ore like dogs?

And thanks for the kind words. I feel like I’ve taken a lot of hits , but maybe I just whine about them more than others. I do appreciate being able to vent here. This place has become something much bigger than I think even it’s founder would have expected it it become. Maybe bigger is the wrong word , better maybe !

A word of advice Steve, going forward stay away from pure breeds, I have to echo billetmans advice, there are thousands of dogs in every state or in your case province sitting in a concrete and steel cage with only one hope for a decent life, save one of them, it will be the greatest thing you ever do, fuck breeders, fuck them all to eternal hell.

Snail

Wow, I'm surprised by that Drew. While I relate to the desire to rescue dogs, and I agree from experience that some breeders are fucked up...buy dont the exceptional breeders keep preserve breed standards?

Dont take me wrong, you and Paul are my mentors, and I take what you write very seriously.

OP

gsteve

BAMF+
I echo what snail said. I know thee are some awful breeder out there that just care about looks and crap and have ruined breeds. But the breeds that are known for thier ability , hunting , training etc , I thought it would be best to track down a quality breeder like that ? That’s what I did with murph. He was amazing , but the cancer ... his mom is 12 , his dad 13. Not sure why we got struck with lighting at 8

The gene pools are too small, this is why the cancers and all these other terminal ailments happen, even in the world of working dogs supplied to military and police globally nobody uses pure breeds anymore just about everything is a hybrid at its roots. Last purebred I had was a GSD imported from Germany in the 90’s who himself had to be put down from cancer at age 8.

Snail

Ok think I got it,, since the gene pool is small the purebreds are being line bred and losing vitality?

Can you sort through pedigrees of two different types of dogs and sort of build your own dog? Combining the desirable traits from each?

BilletMan

BAMF+
Snail, check out the PBS video "Dogs Decoded"....it's an eye opener...I've purchased more than 6 of these and given them out to friends. Most never watch them and lose the DVD....when it first aired, they were selling them at $32, way too high.....years later, I was buying them for $10 each on eBay....you could probably find it on streaming too....it's a cool piece...

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Gsteve sorry for your loss. It is so hard for me to even open up these posts, I miss my Scooter Dog every day.

OP

gsteve

BAMF+
Gsteve sorry for your loss. It is so hard for me to even open up these posts, I miss my Scooter Dog every day.
Thanks.. to you.. and everyone who replied. By the looks of the posts here recently we are all admitting we give a shit about each other and that we have hearts. Must be an age thing ;) We love our dogs , for good reason. All they hope for in return of their love is a belly rub and a place near us. I have put my name on a list for a pup. Im going to ponder the wisdom of OC and see how i can work that out. But i dont want to go long without a furry best friend beside me any longer than i have to.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Hardest thing we have to do in life is say goodbye to a great dog.. he now runs with the pack of dogs that where our former great companions in a special place where all our dogs go.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Thanks All.... fucking sucks. He was at my side 24 a day. Always ready to go. I look for him , hes not there. Ive had 5 goldens and he was incredible. Ive contacted the breeder his dad is from to see if there is some lineage still there. His daughters will be having pups this summer. Not sure i can wait that long. Maybe its silly trying or expecting to get a carbon copy
There is NO SUCH THING as a carbon copy. Every single dog has it's own personality.. combined with training, feeding environmental and scheldualed up bringing brings a different result in every single dog that walks at the end of my leash. There is no way to replace a great dog that has past.. just love the one that walks into your life next and you will both be rewarded with a friendship that legends are made from.

OP

gsteve

BAMF+
There is NO SUCH THING as a carbon copy. Every single dog has it's own personality.. combined with training, feeding environmental and scheldualed up bringing brings a different result in every single dog that walks at the end of my leash. There is no way to replace a great dog that has past.. just love the one that walks into your life next and you will both be rewarded with a friendship that legends are made from.
I know the next will be different , im just missing the buddy i had, and hoping for some good luck in the next one.

Austin_F

BAMF+
I echo what snail said. I know thee are some awful breeder out there that just care about looks and crap and have ruined breeds. But the breeds that are known for thier ability , hunting , training etc , I thought it would be best to track down a quality breeder like that ? That’s what I did with murph. He was amazing , but the cancer ... his mom is 12 , his dad 13. Not sure why we got struck with lighting at 8
If you'll notice, your nephew ysr is almost always absent from the dog passing threads. Can never be bothered to put in a kind word, despite the fact he always has time to post random thoughts in other threads.

Then he'll take jabs at dog owners in other threads.

Even people who never agree on anything in other threads can come into the same dog thread with kind words.

I told my gf tonight, no more chihuahuas. I'd rather get her a yorkie rescue and I'll get another terrier.

Snail

Yesterday I had an enjoyable day watching Quest discover the big world. Hes 9 (mos.) and curious. Running sideways and plunging into tall grass, just his ass and backlegs thrashing trying to power on through.

Attacking the long stem weeds when the wind blew, etc. The rain doesnt stop him, and hes shotting outside in an area he picked.

The healing power of having a new dog...

OP

gsteve

BAMF+
It's unfortunately all to common with Golden breed. Lost Denver and Dylan at 7 and 8 years old to hemangiosarcoma (cancer). I'm sorry for your loss.
View attachment 27114
Yes the history is long and sad. When I got murph I looks at moth families and they had long ages 🤷‍♂️ His dad is 13 and still going hard and his mom 12. The breeder I’m looking at has a 16 yo an any seniors

Top Bottom