Red Beans and Rice recipe

rumble phish

BAMF+
Made this recipe today. Used Anaheim peppers instead of Poblanos, and went with 1 cup of each (Onions, Celery, Peppers) instead of 3/4 cup and for the liquid I used the stock from the last ham hock I boiled last week. Otherwise I stuck to the recipe. Granted, I've never had any true "Cajun" beans and rice outta the Bayou, but these beans were fucking epic.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
chef John does some good stuff. initially didn't care for his narration as he has a sorta sing song type rhythm but eventually got used to it and his stuff is usually easy to do with minimal prep time. Lots of comfort food stuff. Between him and sam the cooking guy I'm pretty covered. I watched Gordon Ramsay once in a while but for what ever reason his stuff is just a little on the frilly side sometimes. It'd be ok if you were in a restaurant and had people helping you.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
chef John does some good stuff. initially didn't care for his narration as he has a sorta sing song type rhythm but eventually got used to it and his stuff is usually easy to do with minimal prep time. Lots of comfort food stuff. Between him and sam the cooking guy I'm pretty covered. I watched Gordon Ramsay once in a while but for what ever reason his stuff is just a little on the frilly side sometimes. It'd be ok if you were in a restaurant and had people helping you.
Food Wishes was the first "Food" channel I ever subscribed to. It was actually Chef John's speaking cadence that caught my attention. It's weird, but oddly comforting at the same time. After watching a few of his vids I was hooked. He makes some good shit, and he's kind of a local boy (well, SF Bay Area anyway). I've made many ofhis dishes and I highly recommend him to anyone looking for "how to" cooking vids.

Another favorite of mine is waaaayyyyy on the other end of the spectrum. Matty Matheson. He's a trip. He's real, kinda funny, no holds barred, and not a dick (like Gordon Ramsey, whom I can't fucking stand!). Check him out, if you haven't already...

Last edited:

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Made this recipe today. Used Anaheim peppers instead of Poblanos, and went with 1 cup of each (Onions, Celery, Peppers) instead of 3/4 cup and for the liquid I used the stock from the last ham hock I boiled last week. Otherwise I stuck to the recipe. Granted, I've never had any true "Cajun" beans and rice outta the Bayou, but these beans were fucking epic.

If only there were a food thread.......

:biggrin:

S.C.

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Meh. I have red beans and rice weekly. I don't know what that mess is in the video you posted. Maybe some bastardization they do in New Orleans? When they say "Creole Style" that's usually New Orleans. "Cajun Style" is usually Lafayette. They are very different... especially traditional gumbo.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Meh. I have red beans and rice weekly. I don't know what that mess is in the video you posted. Maybe some bastardization they do in New Orleans? When they say "Creole Style" that's usually New Orleans. "Cajun Style" is usually Lafayette. They are very different... especially traditional gumbo.
This was my first time making it, and I figured a few here would have their own take/opinion on it. I think it turned out VERY good. So good, in fact, that I added the recipe to my "book". Do you make your own, or is it store/restaurant bought? If it's your own, please post up the recipe. I'd love to try some variations of what others consider "traditional" red beans and rice.

Top Bottom