Ready for the big freeze?....now called “The Thaw” of 2021

Wretch

amazingly graceful
9° F here this morning, driveway still has enough ice/snow on it to make getting up/down it impossible, without ending up in the ditch, in the 2wd Tundra.

I suspect the roads still aren't much better beyond it.
The weather just hasn't gotten warm enough yet, maybe today around noon?

The Hilux is still down due to no coolant.

Maybe today it'll get warm enough to clear to roads for careful travel but, with others out there it'll still be risky.

I've had my daughter here with me all week, which has been nice company.
We've enjoyed streaming some good movies and some decent meals.
Plenty of food still for a few more days.
Some good talks, when she isn't on her cellphone with friends.

It's not been terrible but, has shown me how much further behind I am with equipment maintenance.

RobBase

BAMF
Finally got above freezing today, driving through town only 4 stations have fuel, 2 of the 3 grocery stores were closed, it just doesn't take much to break down society, after only a few days no supplies, no fuel, no food .. this still America, right?

Someone needs to start thinking interstucture about 3 decades ago.
You can bet all the online preppers businesses will be booming after this.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
Yeah it's an hour long... but worth watching... even if You hate Alex...

This shit sounds like it's all Busa 1 Dave 's fault. Is that asshole still around? I just took him off perma-ignore so I can get the lowdown.
Sorry not for you or Terry he knows everything anyway so ask him. :biggrin: Actually going out there on Monday after my 2nd Covid shot unbelievable what is going on out there right now..

Last edited:

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Didn't spot any...
20c, breezy and mostly sunny.

This area doesn't seem to take sea level rise as seriously as Florida. There's no build on fill or pylon platform construction. They seem to believe they won't get big 4 meter storm surges any time soon.
what happens when a ship wreck & train wreck meet in GA?? stay tuned...Ill tell you tomorrow!!

Austin_F

BAMF+

Makes you wonder how many people pointed and laughed at the Preppers tv show or anyone they knew who prepped personally.

I learned my lesson from The Great TP Shortage of 2020. I don't anymore but for a long time I would get a pack of TP every time I went to a store. There has been plenty on the shelves for months now but I bet people only have a pack or two at home again. Now I've got probably a year or two worth in the basement (only two of us here).

I wasn't going to get a gen that could run a furnace but now I think I will. It's gas so the gen only needs to handle the variable speed fan and electronics.

• WTF
Reactions: Red
. no grocery are open today in town, none, no food available anywhere for those who need it, they'll only be open sat and sun for 10 hrs for the foreseeable future, out of gas too .2021 :up:
Watch the gas stations---they will be getting gas the next 24 hours if not already. It is when the distribution supply runs out in a day or two that it will be UGLY. The refineries are very slow to come on line who knows about damage. Our wells are not producing --- hopefully will soon but salt water disposal is an issue right now.

If there is anyone here who is familiar and the best example is the USS Missouri that was in the movie battleship because it was much more modern (bs starting firing up old cold boilers like that lol). From a cold iron dead start would under take several days on a expedited basis to do it correctly and that is on a well maintained ship with no damage. Remember that in Pearl Harbor when the Nevada got out it was not a cold iron start with possible repairs from freeze damage having to be made. The refinery restart is a slow methodical process that requires a lot of testing or lots of people could die if done incorrectly. Those things can go boom.

Stores up here are doing pretty well... Few things are gone but not like it is down there.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Snow is 90% melted away now.
USPS delivered my mail for the first time in a week+. It was all junk mail. :roll:
FedEx promised to deliver my new leathers today but who knows if it happens? Tracking shows it's still way over in Dallas (Irving).
Saw that the lake down the street had frozen over. It was still 40% frozen when I looked at it a few minutes ago. I'm guessing it was 100% frozen at some point.

CZLoco

My palm tree looks fairly close to death.
The fronds have all bent over in half.
Should I cut all the fronds off now or wait a few days for it to warm up before chopping it up?
IDK how "shock" works on trees.

kawachan

BAMF
We had 8-10 inches of snow at the house on Monday. Started melting some the last couple of days but still freezing up at nights. Got stuck in my driveway coming home from work this morning. Maybe I'll try to drive it once it melts more tomorrow

CZLoco

Hey Texans...
Click the link for more detailed info.

EMERGENCY PREPARATION SUPPLIES SALES TAX HOLIDAY
April 24 – 26, 2021
These emergency preparation supplies qualify for tax exemption if purchased for a sales price:
  • Less than $3000
    • Portable generators
  • Less than $300
    • Emergency ladders
    • Hurricane shutters
  • Less than $75
    • Axes
    • Batteries, single or multipack (AAA cell, AA cell, C cell, D cell, 6 volt or 9 volt)
    • Can openers - nonelectric
    • Carbon monoxide detectors
    • Coolers and ice chests for food storage – nonelectric
    • Fire extinguishers
    • First aid kits
    • Fuel containers
    • Ground anchor systems and tie-down kits
    • Hatchets
    • Ice products - reusable and artificial
    • Light sources - portable self-powered (including battery operated)
      • Examples of items include: candles, flashlights and lanterns
    • Mobile telephone batteries and mobile telephone chargers
    • Radios - portable self-powered (including battery operated) - includes two-way and weather band radios
    • Smoke detectors
    • Tarps and other plastic sheeting

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I just got to take my first shower in four days, yesterday morning.

Had water the night before but wanted to be sure they weren't just kidding like a couple of days previously when I though it was back on but it only lasted an hour...
...and then three days went by.

It did get up to 70°F yesterday and only down to 55°F last night.

nomad

TRANSVAXXITE
Facebook says it cracked down on climate change lies. Then came false power outage claim during Texas winter storm

USA TODAY's fact check found the claim that frozen wind turbines were to blame for blackouts in Texas was missing context. Some wind turbines froze because they were not built to withstand the unusually cold temperatures, but the most substantial energy losses were from the shutdowns of thermal power plants.

CZLoco

I like this version better:

It intrigued my young mind and wasn't half bad special effects for the day.
Just watched it.
This concept was interesting.
<not actual movie footage>

Yvette Mimieux was hot.

She later went on to have a stellar movie career.

I enjoyed the movie and it's "special effects". :)

Top Bottom