Ready for the big freeze?....now called “The Thaw” of 2021

kawachan

BAMF
I've been working 12 hour nights last 3 and now next 2-5? Colder than hell and they finally decided last night @8 that "maybe" we can't actually run. So we need to blow all our lines out and sit it out. Shit froze up everywhere...barely made it to work tonight. Its SLICK out on the road. Got sideways three times on the way down tonight but it was good going home at 4am this morning. May just have to stay here.

Stetson

BAMF+
yah so why didnt he bring the end around and counter??
I have a 2014 F150. You have to push the traction control button if you want to spin the tires in a straight line. If you want to be able to get sideways, you have to hold the button down for 5+ seconds until "Advancetrac Off" flashes on the dashboard. That enables you to fuck around sideways up to about 30 mph, then the stability control kicks in whether you want it to or not.

In that situation, if that guy hadn't turned off the t/c, every time the tire spun it cut the power, especially with the likely open diff.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I have a 2014 F150. You have to push the traction control button if you want to spin the tires in a straight line. If you want to be able to get sideways, you have to hold the button down for 5+ seconds until "Advancetrac Off" flashes on the dashboard. That enables you to fuck around sideways up to about 30 mph, then the stability control kicks in whether you want it to or not.
In that situation, if that guy hadn't turned off the t/c, every time the tire spun it cut the power, especially with the likely open diff.
my 2019 work truck has traction control... its a simple switch that allows some hooliganism but even with full TC on I can get the rear to rotate a lil.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
my 2019 work truck has traction control... its a simple switch that allows some hooliganism but even with full TC on I can get the rear to rotate a lil.
My truck ain't got no pussy ass traction control. I can put it into a wall or ditch when ever I want.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Wretch Wretch the wool socks tip was amazing.

I just got back from about 1.5-2 miles walk with the dogs.
What a cool adventure! I've never seen this much snow in my life!!!!
And I was just saying the same thing a few weeks ago!
This time though, the snow was averaging 4-6" everywhere and I encountered tons of drifts where it came up just below my knee. Maybe 4-5 inches below the knee.
CRAZY!
I couldn't see where the street ended and a curb started. Feel off or ran into a couple dozen curbs out there. Had no idea where the sidewalk was most of the time!
It was a GORGEOUS sunny day. First one in awhile!
My dogs LOVED the walk. They started out running and I did my best to keep up for a block, but then my chest and nostrils froze up, but felt like they were burning. So we just walked from there on.
Was goign to take the little dog with us but she was up to her nose in snow so I quickly turned around and put her back in the house.

When I got home, the water was running from the hot side of the faucet again. :)
Did not know that about hot vs cold water, thanks Rhino Rhino :up:

View attachment 56141

She got to walk on frozen water! The "creek" that drains into the lake was about 1/3 frozen over.
She fell through and said "fugg that".
View attachment 56142

Neighborhood Las Foringas for sailUSVI sailUSVI
The owners were outside and we laughed about the snow.
View attachment 56143

View attachment 56144

Man i can imagine going around in cages with summer tires on in that much snow..

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor

Mine is always off in winter except when going 60-70 mph on very slippery roads..the awd is rear biased so the rear unhooks like a rwd car.. still awd though

That how i came in my job parking the morning and parked it ! :frEEk:

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Seems some big issues are arising from the deep Texas freeze. State Farm can't add insurance to my policy because of the issues in Texas. Seems their systems are all down since Monday. Fuckers ... I have to get insurance on the GC before Monday... in todays age I can't see how one huge company will shut down from a storm.

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
Ever "Bumper Ski" when you were a kid? We'd latch onto cars of people we didn't even know. Some would stop and yell at us, others had no idea we had latched on. Try pulling that shit now! Freedom is gone.
We would do that in the rain in So. Cal. No snow...

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com
12 hrs of alcohol fuel left then I'm screwed, still not warm enough to get heat outta my mini-splits for 2 days yet, no one in Texas has fuel to buy ... I guess the diesel construction heater will be nice inside ...

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Temp climbed to around 12c, overcast and breezy puts a nip in the air. Perhaps a bit of a blow tomorrow, then sunny and 20 every day after.

Buelldozer

Anarcho-Frontierest
Its all fucking nuts now. Texas with all its natural gas and oil and no power, fucking criminal.
I've been tearing into this for a couple of days now and I can confidently state that the problem ISN'T with their windmills which are actually doing better than predicted. The problem is that their Nuclear, Coal and Natural Gas are all under producing because they are froze up. Literally froze up, complete with icicles.

Shit down there is engineered to go all summer at 100+ degrees, its not meant to handle subzero temperatures. The natural gas wells in the whole region of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, etc are literally frozen and not producing. Texas relies on Natural Gas for power generation during their typically balmy 50ish degree "winters" but with the wells frozen up the gas isn't available to spin the power plants.

Nuclear and Coal are under producing because the water they use for cooling is freezing and blocking the inlets.

Their shit down there is just not built for the kind of cold they are experiencing.

Anyway, don't blame the windmills. It's not their fault.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
I've been tearing into this for a couple of days now and I can confidently state that the problem ISN'T with their windmills which are actually doing better than predicted. The problem is that their Nuclear, Coal and Natural Gas are all under producing because they are froze up. Literally froze up, complete with icicles.

Shit down there is engineered to go all summer at 100+ degrees, its not meant to handle subzero temperatures. The natural gas wells in the whole region of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, etc are literally frozen and not producing. Texas relies on Natural Gas for power generation during their typically balmy 50ish degree "winters" but with the wells frozen up the gas isn't available to spin the power plants.

Nuclear and Coal are under producing because the water they use for cooling is freezing and blocking the inlets.

Their shit down there is just not built for the kind of cold they are experiencing.

Anyway, don't blame the windmills. It's not their fault.
The windmills ARE causing blackouts in New Mexico. I assumed it was same for Texas.

• Red
Reactions: Red

Buelldozer

Anarcho-Frontierest
The windmills ARE causing blackouts in New Mexico. I assumed it was same for Texas.
Honestly I hadn't been paying attention to New Mexico. If your windmills are offline its going to be the same issue, systems not engineered or installed to handle deep cold for multiple days. It's likely yours weren't installed with the blade heaters they'd need in order to operate at these temperatures. The tech for this does exist and it does work because windmills are happily spinning away up here in Wyoming despite the extreme cold.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Honestly I hadn't been paying attention to New Mexico. If your windmills are offline its going to be the same issue, systems not engineered or installed to handle deep cold for multiple days. It's likely yours weren't installed with the blade heaters they'd need in order to operate at these temperatures. The tech for this does exist and it does work because windmills are happily spinning away up here in Wyoming despite the extreme cold.
Here is A press release from one of Texas' power companies that states the fault to be low supplies of natural gas and frozen wind turbines..
Here in New Mexico,, there have been limited outages due to the windmills as it has not been as cold as Texas.. (20-40 degrees warmer) so the power demands are not as high as Texas.

• Red

Buelldozer

Anarcho-Frontierest
It's complicated and I agree that a lack of wind power is adding to it but Texas is only missing 16 Gigawatts of "green" energy and they plan for that during the winter, meanwhile they are missing 30 Gigawatts of thermal generation which includes Nuclear, Coal, and Natural Gas and that is a problem that they DIDN'T plan for.

kawachan

BAMF
My brisk lil drive to work. The two guys who are supposed to work the next 2 days already called in saying they can't make it. Looks like I'll be working the "Rideout" crew til someone else can make it in. After 16 hours they are going to go back and manually pay me double time 24 hours a day just to sit out here and watch stuff thaw out.20210217_142038.jpg20210217_145551.jpg

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
It's complicated and I agree that a lack of wind power is adding to it but Texas is only missing 16 Gigawatts of "green" energy and they plan for that during the winter, meanwhile they are missing 30 Gigawatts of thermal generation which includes Nuclear, Coal, and Natural Gas and that is a problem that they DIDN'T plan for.

I also heard that due to deregulation of power plants, to increase profits that they are not putting the necessary resources in to prevent the outages/shortages.

• Red

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
This is the wind farm that I drove past on Sunday when the temp was 0F. I only saw 2 turbines turning. Winds were about 20-30 mph at the time.
I remember that massive windmill farm like 20 years ago off the side of some freeway as you're leaving California.
It must have been one of the first in the USA?

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
This.
Probably snow accumulations on the blades rather than gearbox problems.
This is what it looked like at the time.

• Red

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I had a productive day that was only about half as ass kicking as yesterday but, an ass kicker none the less.

The high point was getting the little Toyota 4x4 Hilux going.
Making a trip over to feed/water my daughter's dogs/lizards because they haven't seen anyone in the past three days.

The low point, once there, was discovering the electric fan had quit working, the overheat that indicated something was wrong...
...and my dumb ass pulling the cap off the overflow tank and getting scalded by superheated coolant.

Never saw it coming and will likely lose a couple layers of skin from my right thumb, between it and my forefinger.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
I had a productive day that was only about half as ass kicking as yesterday but, an ass kicker none the less.

The high point was getting the little Toyota 4x4 Hilux going.
Making a trip over to feed/water my daughter's dogs/lizards because they haven't seen anyone in the past three days.

The low point, once there, was discovering the electric fan had quit working, the overheat that indicated something was wrong...
...and my dumb ass pulling the cap off the overflow tank and getting scalded by superheated coolant.

Never saw it coming and will likely lose a couple layers of skin from my right thumb, between it and my forefinger.
Ouch!!

Top Bottom