Ready for the big freeze?....now called “The Thaw” of 2021

Austin_F

BAMF+
I open the cabinet doors under my kitchen sink in temps like this to let a little more warmth in.

Could be -15 for a couple days this weekend.

Typical dips like this every now and then. I won’t mineC784A8C0-CAEC-49A3-AA3F-6E2C6752DBB3.jpeg the break from snow blowing and shoveling. Will be working from the truck and more in the office too, lol

• Red
Reactions: Red

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
80s today and sunny!

although the afternoon storm we had yesterday was unlike anything ive ever seen here, even during a hurricane. 2.3" of rain in a single hour. had flooding in places of the yard that have never seen standing water period.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
The six day forecast reads...

"Six days of suck"

I'm taking a nap for the next several days.

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Lived in Htown about 35 years ago when we had a brutal cold snap, over 50,000 busted pipes. This has the potential to do the same. All yous that live in this stuff are prepared and homes are built accordingly. Not so much down south, I see the busted pipes in my future.

• Red
Reactions: Red

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Oh, so you're one of those guys... :muttering:
One of those guys who wear shorts when it's 65* on a morning where the forecast says it's going up to 85*? You bet I am. :wink2:

You'd laugh if you could see what constitutes 'cold' for the locals here. Even after nearly 20 years in Thailand, the sight of someone wearing a wool hat when it's in the 70s still makes me smile. The kid inherited my nature, and I've had a few calls from (Thai) teachers saying maybe she should dress warmer as the other kids are ready to explore the Arctic- I tell them she won't do it- 'Look in her backpack- her mother put a sweatshirt, scarf, and mittens in there- she won't wear them.':biggrin1a:

Austin_F

BAMF+
Our prediction updated....-19 on Sunday -22 on Monday.

Lord. Id better check the anti-freeze in the truck, not sure it's up to the task.

There's going to be a bunch of call-ins Monday I'm sure, a lot of people have to park outside.

Last edited:

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Well, yeah- it's only in the 50s at zero-dark-thirty, when I walk the dog (in shorts- both me and the dog)- later in the morning when it warms up a bit and there are other humans awake and walking around bundled up, I'm still wearing shorts (though the dog will usually ditch them at that point). :wink2:

Vicious_Cycle

HOLYBAMF
Our prediction updated....-19 on Sunday -22 on Monday.

Lord. Id better check the anti-freeze in the truck, not sure it's up to the task.

There's going to be a bunch of call-ins Monday I'm sure, a lot of people have to park outside.
Where the hell are you? That's friggin' cold.
A polar vortex froze us out several years ago coincidentally at a time I was suffering with extreme tooth pain. The temperature dropped to somewhere around -25F, and I had a root canal scheduled for the next morning. Needed to ensure my car would run the next morning, so I ended up just letting it idle all night. Worked out great.
Right now I have six parked outside. Not sure I would leave 'em all running all night long...

tinhead

Has never named a pet
On the annual trek to Daytona, boondocking in Lincecum (sp?) MD. Forecast sez 1-3 farmer inches overnite, temp is around 1°c the c is for correct not f like faulty

Wretch

amazingly graceful
All the icy road conditions are east of me and it's a little chilly here at 30 F right now.
If it gets into the 20's I turn the heat up to 68.

I will wear shorts outside when it's in the 40's but, not if it's windy out.
Wet cold here feels about 20 degrees colder than dry cold, to be sure.

roadczar

BAMF
On Tuesday I did an 11 mile hike in 9f. Single track trail with ~80% elevation changes. Fresh 2" of powder covering ice base all the way around. I do this trail regularly, but first time in these conditions. It was challenging to say the least, would be almost impossible without a hiking stick. Still feel pretty beat up.

Felt a cold and predatory stare along the way, found this.

Team222

BAMF
On Tuesday I did an 11 mile hike in 9f. Single track trail with ~80% elevation changes. Fresh 2" of powder covering ice base all the way around. I do this trail regularly, but first time in these conditions. It was challenging to say the least, would be almost impossible without a hiking stick. Still feel pretty beat up.

Felt a cold and predatory stare along the way, found this.

View attachment 55787
View attachment 55788
That’s some True Detective shit right there!

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Co-worker lives a few miles up the freeway from Austin and says it's snowing there this AM.
I'm seeing rain and 33 here. No snow or sleet, too warm I guess.

Heard it'll be negative temps tomorrow in Dallas area. :eek:

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
will anything not plugged in start ? What weight oil y’all use?

They said we were the coldest place on the planet this morning.... -38. Not inc wind. It’s 11 am and it’s -33

Top Bottom