Rabbits

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Not positive it was the best thing to do (I think it would have starved in nature), but I kept the runt of the litter going for the last two weeks by making sure it got enough time on the boob- it seems fine and healthy, but is half the size of the other two bunnies. I didn't expect it to live at all, and figured I'd see the worst eventually when I lifted the lid of the crate, but no.

Cute little bugger- they all opened their eyes for the first time today:

BED22C42-8E1E-4590-8C41-466B0F8818A9.jpeg

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Going to have to change your name to Dolittle at the rate your going with all these animal adventures.

Amazing these babies have lived as the wild ones here die within days of finding them.
I tend to just leave them now if I find baby bunnies in the yard.
Seems they have a better chance to make it since they certainly die if you try keep them.

The fur looks much different on that one, from what we have here.

Good on you taking up the wild animal caregiver mantel.
These pictures all always interesting.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I try to make every effort with the animals to teach my kid a couple lessons- it's actually not a lot of work on my part.:wink2:

whitepower

John 3:16
The runts are always in survival mode.
They seem to have the strongest will to make it.
4 months ago on my daily travels i stopped to feed a bunch of neighborhood cats and their kittens which i stop to feed on a daily basis.
Once i put out the food and water and was just about to get in my car... I hear this faint meow. I turned and looked but saw nothing. Left there and not 30 seconds later decided to turn around and investigate that meow better.
Looked through the bushes and found a kitten no more than 2 - 3 weeks old which looked like a dinasaur. It was skin and bones. Its spine looked like spikes wanting to stick through the skin. Picked it up and saw that not only was it barely alive, but its ears nose and mouth were full of dirt. As if someone buried the poor thing alive. Its eyes were closed shut from the infection and it was a miracle this cat was actually alive considering its condition. But the will of this kitten to survive, even with dirt stuck into every orifice and it still managed to come to me and make itself seen and heard. I was its last chance.
Decided there was no food in the world good enough to fix this cat and took it home with me. We already have 10 adopted off the street stray cats and 3 dogs. Now, 4 months later she is a beautiful healthy girl who enjoys life like all the others.
Animals have senses that may tell them of genetic problems or sickness and they often abandon those pups/kittens leaving them to die off so that the healthy strong ones survive.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Doing what you enjoy is hardly considered work.

Now, if you start making money at this, it will become so.

I loved raising tadpoles in an aquarium/terrarium setup, with my little girl when she was 2-3.
Every day coming out and looking for changes, her worrying where their tails had gone when they got closer to being tree frogs.

Kids are great for the soul.
Yesterday, we had a great heart to heart about some school issues and I recall wishing I could have had the same kind of exchange as a child.
They do make us better people, if we let them.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Priceless image.

Makes me smile involuntarily but then, I'm not trying to suppress it.

We are truly blessed to be able to wittness such things.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I didn't smile...but I very much liked that picture...

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
My dad made me raise rabbits. He brought over a pregnant rabbit from my Uncle's place. When the babies where born and weaned it was my job to feed and clean the cage. Grew them to size..then he showed me how to kill, gut and skin em,.. even how to cook them.. he said this was a passed down lesson... they where damn good.

Oh I got lucky..my brothers and sisters got their lesson raising chickens... then told me stories of chopping the heads off and the chickens would run around the yard with out heads. To this day I dont know if they are telling the truth as I am the youngest and want born when all that went down.

DaCat

BAMF
Very cool Gobrian. I think your kid will thank you one day for the effort you put in and these are invaluable lessons.

Well done!

PS. You are almost at that age that when the rain comes and folks see you gathering the animals 2 by 2, they get worried (even in Buddhist countries) :razz:

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I wasn't goona bring up how yummy rabbits can be...

...once when my wife still loved me she made me rabbit stew when I as at work...she hunted and shot the rabbits herself with a .22 pistol...it was awesome...

...there is a picture of her at a similar age with a similar rabbit at her mothers house...

...I taught her to shoot...hunt...kill...

...when she left she took my nickeled M13 with pinned barrel and recessed cylinder and a firing pin...it had some history to it...

...but it's ok now...she don't shoot rabbits no more...

Hapo

Dog Boy
...why not on the wall...???...

Hapo

Dog Boy
...and that is why I never put a Pikey Curse upon him behind his disturbing attitude n' shit...

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Thanks, guys- we've been having some pretty wholesome fun over here- I'm getting the chance to do some things now that I didn't do when I was a kid.:lol:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Cute baby rabbit. Good job looking out after them. I have a rabbit the hangs out in my yard. I toss stuff out there for it on occasion.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...my dogs had a rabbit once, but were in danger of fighting over it, so I had to take it away...

...anything too big to swallow in one gulp would cause that issue...except porcupines...they didn't fight over porcupines...

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I can't get them to pose for more than a second or two, but you can see the size disparity- the biggest one weighs at least double the runt:

C1BB0640-7C70-42D9-8F45-1C95D3ECF0BC.jpeg

Hapo

Dog Boy
...one for the pet, two for the pot...???...

Master-Cylinder

Those fuckers have slanted eyes!?:lol: Cute little things. You've done well raising them.

They don't look anything like the rabbit that hangs around here. What's going to happen to them?

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
They'll likely end up in an enclosed garden where they'll be safe from local predators- they might possibly become pets- they'll be OK regardless.

OP
OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I did see a rather disturbingly-large shedded snakeskin recently (at first I thought it was an old John-Holmes-sized condom)- there's something pretty big slithering around here...

Master-Cylinder

I did see a rather disturbingly-large shedded snakeskin recently (at first I thought it was an old John-Holmes-sized condom)- there's something pretty big slithering around here...

There is a seven foot plus foot snake skin in my shed! I kick the door a couple times before I go in there.

Top Bottom